X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing all women do you don't know about

A good read.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gretch...b_8630416.html

Thanks for sharing this. It's important. It definitely tracks with my experiences, especially the part of not being believed when I try to explain it.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

I'm sharing this on a couple of other sites I frequent. Thanks for the post.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It's a surprising title, since I thought everyone knew that women learn to diffuse situations. I heard the term "peacemaker" referring only to women for as long as I can remember. So to say people "don't know about it" is very interesting. I'm not saying any of the content is incorrect (kinda the opposite), I'm just pondering the idea that some people are unaware that women very routinely shrug things off in order to keep the peace, so to speak.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Considering how often women get "Oh, you're just overreacting" and similar comments when we DO speak up about being subjected to casual sexism, yea, I can totally see how lots of people wouldn't even realize this is going on.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
            Considering how often women get "Oh, you're just overreacting" and similar comments when we DO speak up about being subjected to casual sexism, yea, I can totally see how lots of people wouldn't even realize this is going on.
            You're right, of course. I'm trying to think of how to explain my initial bafflement. (other than I'm just tired) I guess I just assumed that when a person says something like "you're being too sensitive" that they expect the woman to diffuse the situation by backing down, so how could the idea of diffusing be surprising if that's their goal? But I see what you mean. They don't even realize that there is a situation to diffuse.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Rantlet: defuse not diffuse. Means: To keep from exploding versus spread out and mix into the background like detergent in a sink.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

To a degree, I think "peacekeeping" is something most people do, as I've noticed it's a huge sign of maturity. For example, most mature adults wouldn't pick a huge fight with their SO because SO wants Italian food for dinner but "If we can't try that new seafood place then we're not going anywhere!" Most adults would either compromise or decide that it's not worth the fight and just give in, even if there isn't any sexism involved.
                The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

To a degree, yes. But it seems to be something that women are expected to do, well in excess of men.
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                  X