Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a Pernicious Purveyor of Half-Truths and Intellectual Excuse-Making (Long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a Pernicious Purveyor of Half-Truths and Intellectual Excuse-Making (Long)

This correspondence happened in just before we discontinued our Mac version a few years ago. I enjoyed it because the guy started out so rational and then just...well, you'll see.

[names and identifying details have been changed]

The first installment involves a web feedback form which he filled out on our site. I get those and reply to them...

Form: feedback
    Name: John Q
    Response: yes

I am starting correspondence course for [new career]. I need to find software and hardware for Macs which I can use. I have the most recent system software and I need to find applications, utilities, and peripherals which I can use for this new goal of mine. If you can direct me to other sites that would be fine. It's just a disappointment, though not suprising, that so much is being done on PC type machines - just a prejudice from my computer engineering and software background.

Thank you,

John Q

My reply...

Dear John Q

We do have two products for the Mac which may be of interest to you. [Blinky] is a free download from our web site (it can be found at [blinky URL]) and is a [insert description of Blinky]. The [Main Product] also comes in a Mac version (you can download a free demo from [main product URL]. As far as I know, we are the only manufacturer carrying software of this type for the MacIntosh. Both products will work on OS9 and earlier, but won't work on OS10 or later.

To be completely honest, I should also point out that the Mac version of [main product] hasn't been updated since 1999. When Apple introduced OS10 we found that it wouldn't run our software and also wasn't compatible with the hardware which [it drives] and there was no practical way to correct the problem. [Our company] is not alone; many software developers have had similar problems with Apple changing operating systems and many have decided that the sales of Mac versions of their software don't justify the much higher development costs that working with Apple imposes on them. Of course, we have been in communication with Apple regarding this situation and we hope that they will give our concerns priority they deserve. However, I am not hopeful that a solution will come quickly.

In the meantime, if you are serious about [changing careers], it might make sense to purchase an inexpensive used PC or a Mac with OS9 dedicated to that purpose. I would recommend the PC in the long run because, for the reasons outlined above, we are focusing on the Windows version when we add features to our product.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dips

99% of the time that would have ended it. A very few folks have come back and begged us to create a Mac version, promising to buy it. We will reply by putting them on our emailing list and promising to let them know when/if it happens, but being clear that might be years or never. But this guy had quite an interesting reply in him, as you'll see...

Dear Dips

Thank you for your information.

I have been a hadware technician and programmer since 1968 and I have done work on many systems including MS-DOS, Windows (95 and 97), UNIX (up to version 4), Mac OS(7, 8 and 9). I have also been a manager for more than a decade and a half. Please beware when you are saying what you said to me. People may have the knowledge to see though the pernicious little lies and half truth's. This casts you and your company in a very bad light.

As a manager I am aware of the many problems which are faced by persons who wish to use these tools (computers) to perform tasks. It costs to do these things. People do not want to invest in doing these things and improving them when they can make money, survive and grow on what they already have with little new investment (financial and otherwise). That is only natural. Investment in any economic downturn situation is virtually non-existent. The combination of the necessity for investment and the poor economy is fatal for any effort like this which is not only dependent on investment by people who do not expect large returns, but which caters to a small, poorly known marketplace. I understand that. Please use your intellectual skills for something other than finding and creating excuses.

John Q

After my boss was done laughing, he instructed me not to answer the email. He felt engaging this guy would not do anything constructive for anyone. I remember that John Q did write back once. Apparently I didn't save that email. I don't recall it being anywhere near as awesome as the above, though.

Those of you who are still reading might be wondering why this got dug up years after the fact. I was going through old requests for the Mac version because, TA-DAH!, our chief of development has made the decision to try creating a new version for the Mac.

Oh, and, I gave the email the MST3K treatment and printed it out for my co-workers' enjoyment. I seem to have lost that version, though.

Update: I just found it. It is posted below to avoid thread necromancy. The original Dipshit text is in black and the translation from Dipshit to English is bracketed and in red. Enjoy.

Thank you for your information.
    [Thanks]

I have been a hadware technician and programmer since 1968 and I have done work on many systems including MS-DOS, Windows (95 and 97), UNIX (up to version 4), Mac OS(7, 8 and 9).
    [I used to be programmer but haven't done so for very long time]

I have also been a manager for more than a decade and a half.
    [I am superior to you and have wonderful people skills]

Please beware when you are saying what you said to me.
    [I can't handle hearing views that don't agree with my own; don't tell me about them, or else...]

People may have the knowledge to see though the pernicious little lies and half truth's.
    [What you said does not jibe with my hard-core Apple user view of the the universe so it must be a lie]

This casts you and your company in a very bad light.
    [You and those who hired you don't follow the One True Religion so you are BAD!]

As a manager I am aware of the many problems which are faced by persons who wish to use these tools (computers) to perform tasks.
    [The people I supervised weren't trained properly]

It costs to do these things.
    [I was too cheap to get them training]

People do not want to invest in doing these things and improving them when they can make money, survive and grow on what they already have with little new investment (financial and otherwise).
    [You people are cheap too, but , unlike myself, you are money grubbing jerks because you won't do what I think you should do]

That is only natural.
    [I geuss you can't help being cheap money grubbing jerks]

Investment in any economic downturn situation is virtually non-existent.
    [I'm having trouble convincing people to invest in the things I think they should invest in; it must be the economy]

The combination of the necessity for investment and the poor economy is fatal for any effort like this which is not only dependent on investment by people who do not expect large returns, but which caters to a small, poorly known marketplace.
    [Let me explain to you [very specialized single purpose] software manufacturers about how hard it is to do business with a small, poorly understood market like Apple users]

I understand that.
    [I, the Very Experienced Programmer and Manager of 15 years, will extend the benevolence of my superior comprehension of your business decisions to you]

Please use your intellectual skills for something other than finding and creating excuses.
    [I am no more likely to persuade you to see things my way than I was able to manage others with my superior understanding and exceptional people skills; it is much easier to place my shortcomings onto you and write off your objections as "excuses."]

[Name removed]
    [[Name removed]]
    Last edited by Dips; 06-20-2007, 07:48 PM. Reason: update
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

All those big words, and the only message he manages to convey is "I am a supreme dipshit."
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You know, he sounds like typical IT management. At least in the company I work for, the managers haven't actually worked with hardware or software for about a decade now, and are woefully out of touch.
      Sounds like this guy to a 'T'.

Comment

The bullshit is strong with this one

I'm still trying to find the "lies" in the messages. Seriously though, I've heard similar things from other companies--because the Mac software market isn't as large as the PC one, companies are hesitant to develop products for it. To them, the returns simply don't justify it...meaning they won't bother with it. Can't say I blame them.

Other industries are similar--many model kit manufacturers won't introduce different products--they simply crank out the same things that they know will sell. I mean, how many Corvette kits do we really need? Doesn't matter, they will *all* sell, and the companies know this. That's why you'll never see a plastic Toyota Corolla model, or even a Cavalier. As much as some of us want kits of "daily drivers" companies won't take a chance on them.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Gee, I think I would have had to respond in kind...

"I'm certain we both share that idea that synergies can be both created and leveraged via the the melding of old technology (technology that already exists) and new technology (technology that is new). However, often matters of scale negate both the perceived and the actual beneficial aspects of those synergies. If, in point of fact, during economic downturn situations (situations where the economy is in a downturn), the benefit scenarios do not completely negate the perceived best practices of risk management, then surely investments in leveraging (to a greater or lesser degree) existing technology (with or without new technology) may or may not be the most proper use of intellectual capital. I'm sure I'm overstating the obvious to you."
          I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

What's funny is that his explaination of why you were lying was pretty much what you said to begin with.

His explaination boils down to "It's not worth the money to develop a mac version" which is pretty much what you said, though in more accurate detail.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
              His explaination boils down to "It's not worth the money to develop a mac version" which is pretty much what you said, though in more accurate detail.
              With a hefty dose of "I read a bunch of big words in the dictionary and I'm having a blast using them all in sentences."
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                With a hefty dose of "I read a bunch of big words in the dictionary and I'm having a blast using them all in sentences."

Oooow! Dr. Pepper burns in the nose.

Comment

Well, at least he didn't come out and call you a liar.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                    Well, at least he didn't come out and call you a liar.
                    That word doesn't have enough letters in it, silly.
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I think you were more honest than most IT companies. They tell you 'the mac version will be out soon' and it never appears. I think he was just having a high horse rant. Silly old bugger

Comment

I think you should e-mail him back with just the line:

"Looks like some lucky boy got a thesaurus for Christmas"

Comment

That is probably the funniest damn letter I've read in quite a while.

This is exactly the typical SC mentality. it doesn't exist - so automatically the salesperson is either:

1)purposefully not creating it just to piss them off
                          2)knows when it will exist and won't tell customer for the same reasons
                          3)completely incapable of doing their jobs so the customer of course knows more than the employee and needs to immediately be told so by customer.

None of this, will get me something that doesn't exist! But then, I have brains (most of the time) and am not a SC...
                          If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Working...
                          X