Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I caught a bogus credit card today (kinda longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All right. I was just curious because I live in a country (China) where cards that are considered less-common in the US are used almost everywhere (Discover, for example- in Shanghai it'd be near-impossible to find a place that *doesn't* take it, and JCB is accepted practically everywhere that is frequented by Japanese tourists).

Also, out of curiosity, how are combination cards handled? For example, I have a UnionPay/Visa (UnionPay is China's card network- Discover partners with them and that's why Discover gets accepted in places that other cards don't) card that doesn't start with 4. Is that because it's a UnionPay card first? (Maybe such a thing doesn't exist in the US- it does in China because there used to be a time when Discover didn't partner with UnionPay so those cards didn't work outside China and combination cards had to be issued so they could work internationally)

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
      But what do you do since the receipt is already printed up and they're ready to go...?
      Sonic Grenade and gumball lights?

Comment

you got to have that 7 its what makes it all proper

Comment

Quoth MMATM View Post
          By the same token (I'm good at arcade games, you see, and I can do that) I've always wanted to mail a banana, since the skin of the fruit is technically acceptable as a form of envelope, and all you need is the proper postage and address.
          DH is a retired Postal Carrier. He once delivered a coconut! Hey, it had the proper postage on it!
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
            But what do you do since the receipt is already printed up and they're ready to go...?
            What I would do, personally? Void the transaction and inform the customer that they need to pay with cash.
            Our brains are smarter than we think they am!

Comment

Quoth jamar View Post
              Out of curiosity, does anyone know what it would be for JCB and other less-common cards?
              I've seen a Diners Club card once (now that's old school!). The number, believe it or not, began with a 3. I would assume the second digit was not 7 as that would conflict with Amex, but all I remember is that it started with 3.
              "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

If I remember right, diners club doesnt have as many numbers as visa, mastercard, discover or amex. I think the number is shorter if my memory serves me right. I havent seen one since I worked front desk at a hotel.
                "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

[/QUOTE]
                  Visa starts with 4
                  Mastercard starts with 5
                  Amex starts with 3
                  and discover starts with 6011 [/QUOTE]

Diner's Club also starts with 3

Comment

which is why you always should say amex starts with a 37, it doues this so not to conflict with diner's club.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                      DH is a retired Postal Carrier. He once delivered a coconut! Hey, it had the proper postage on it!
                      Did he use food stamps to mail it?
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Huh, I never noticed that before, but my visa starts with a 4 too. You learn something new every day.
                        "Jester, I have an opportunity for you." Uh oh. What does he want me to clean? "It 's a chance for you to make some extra money." Crap, it must be really gross!

-Jester

Comment

I always thought that credit card numbers were random, thats a good thing to know if I ever think I've been handed a fake card.

BTW:
                          List of credit card numbers on wiki
                          Last edited by El Barto; 10-16-2007, 12:41 AM.
                          "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

Quoth El Barto View Post
                            I always thought that credit card numbers were random, thats a good thing to know if I ever think I've been handed a fake card.

BTW:
                            List of credit card numbers on wiki
                            Ah! Awesome. I didn't know that Discover allocated 65xx as well as 6011.

It also reminded me that there once was a time that Visa cards could have 13 digits.
                            "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth king4aday View Post
                              FYI:

Visa starts with 4
                              Mastercard starts with 5
                              Amex starts with 3
                              and discover starts with 6011
                              Oh, wow! I had no idea--- though that doesn't surprise me since I've never gotten a card yet. But those are great facts to keep in mind when the time comes! Thank you :3

Comment

Quoth MMATM View Post
                                By the same token (I'm good at arcade games, you see, and I can do that) I've always wanted to mail a banana, since the skin of the fruit is technically acceptable as a form of envelope, and all you need is the proper postage and address.
                                Quoth Primer View Post
                                Somewhere, out there on the web, is a page I read one time, just can't find it now, where someone tried mailing several different objects. I believe just about every one was okay, as long as the address was legible and it had correct postage.

Comment

Working...
                                X