Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, shocking, people other than you like pretzels!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, shocking, people other than you like pretzels!

Just remembered some stories.

Background:
    We have these tasty little pretzel bites that are one of the most popular concession items. One fateful summers day we ran out, no pretzels in stock! So of course when people tried to order them we'd have to inform them. Reactions varied from sulking away to shocked.

Me: Malcontented Employee
    RPL: Ridiculous pretzel lady

RPL:I'll have some super pretzels.
    Me: I'm sorry ma'am, we're out of stock.
    RPL: What!? thats the most ridiculous thing I ever heard! That's ridiculous! *walks off in a huff*
    Me: Yes, it sure is ridiculous that other people love pretzels. She must have a very dull life if us running out of pretzels is the most ridiculous thing she ever encountered.

Some other pretzel related incidents worth noting took place some time much later, when our pretzel freezers were bountiful.

These two girls came in, ordered pretzels, paid, commented about how great the pretzels are and thenleft the building. Apparently they just came in to buy overpriced pretzels... then again where else can you get soft pretzel bites made with love? and by love I mean slamming the bag against the counter to break apart the solid chunk of frozen-together-pretzels and then angrily shaking a generous helping of salt before forgetting them in the oven and almost letting them get burnt.

Every now and then a single small pretzel will fall off the tray and go unnoticed until the distinct smell of burnt something fills the lobby.

Manager over walkie: Miffed, are you burning a pretzel?
    Me: *checking oven* Two of them!
    MOW: ...

Not only do customers like the pretzel bites (now on known as PBs) but the employees do as well. So the leftover PBs that aren't enough to fill a tray completely are put into one and set in the warmer for us to have. Rules about eating behind concessions vary from manager to manager. Some prefer you to go into the kitchen if you are going to eat, the majority doesn't care as long as a customer doesn't see you.

Me: *looks around, takes PB from the employee stash*
    Manager: *shouting as she walks across the lobby* I know you're not eating behind concessions!
    Me: *desperately trying to swallow a dry pretzel that I put extra salt on* You're right!

Everybody got a kick out of that.
    Last edited by Miffed; 10-23-2007, 02:51 PM. Reason: Typos
    "Reverse racism" lol

Quoth Miffed View Post
    Me: I'm sorry ma'am, we're out of stock.
    RPL: What!? thats the most ridiculous thing I ever heard! That's ridiculous! *walks off in a huff*
    Me: Yes, it sure is ridiculous that other people love pretzels. She must have a very dull life if us running out of pretzels is the most ridiculous thing she ever encountered.
    That is rather lame. I've seen some stuff in my time I'd call ridiculous--the math department at my university, security being stricter in a one-terminal airport than in a much bigger six-terminal airport, the United States healthcare system, stuff like that--but pretzels?

If she wants to complain about "ridiculous" out-of-stock items, send her to my store. At least once a day I hear someone tell me that it is ridiculous were are out of the Nintendo Wii, ridiculous that we charge to install computer hardware, ridiculous that the appliance installers are five minutes late, ridiculous that I can't sell a $1300 laptop for $549, ridiculous that I can't price-match stuff they saw on eBay, and on and on and on.

The fun ridiculousness happened in January with the Windows Vista rollover. Computer manufacturers stopped sending us XP machines three weeks before Vista released. We sold through what stock we had, including the floor models. But then, for four whole days, we had zero computers to sell. That was fun.
    Customer: I'm looking to buy a computer.
    Me: I'm sorry, I'm out.
    Customer: You're out of computers?
    Me: Yes. (explain) I'll have some available on January 30th.
    Customer: That's ridiculous (or crazy or stupid or whatever)! How could you be out of computers?
    Me: (explain)
    Customer: I don't believe it.

And now here's the English major in me:
    "Ridiculous" probably doesn't mean what people think it means anyway. They use it as a synonym for "unthinkable," "unbelievable," or, yes, even "inconceivable." But the definition for "ridiculous" is "arousing or deserving ridicule; laughable" and "ridicule" is "to laugh at or make fun of mockingly or contemptuously."
    So...
    Customer thinks she's saying: I cannot wrap my brain around the idea that you do not have pretzels to sell.
    Customer is really saying: Ha-ha! You're out of pretzels. Na-na-na-Na-Na-na.
    Conclusion: Customers who yell "ridiculous" are actually the object deserving of ridicule.

[/rambling]
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Comment

It's amusing that they even always use the word "ridiculous"... And only that word. Not "crazy", or "impossible".... "ridiculous".

The next time I get a job, the moment I hear that word I know I'm going to accidentally tune them out.

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
        Conclusion: Customers who yell "ridiculous" are actually the object deserving of ridicule.
        Agreed completely. Sometimes I think you should not be allowed to use certain "two-dollar words" until you can prove you know the correct meaning.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Overpriced pretels? Please, I've had people come just for the overpriced popcorn. That's right. People are willing to shell out $5 for a bag of popcorn, turn around, and go home. And have it cold by the time they get there. *shakes head*
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

All your pretzelz are belong to me!!

Quoth Miffed
            then again where else can you get soft pretzel bites made with love?
            Did you know they sell Superpretzels in the supermarket freezer section? You can make them at home with all the love (or hate, if you like) you please. Even in the microwave.

Every now and then a single small pretzel will fall off the tray and go unnoticed until the distinct smell of burnt something fills the lobby.

Manager over walkie: Miffed, are you burning a pretzel?
            Me: *checking oven* Two of them!
            MOW: ...
            This made me

I like the pretzels at the movies. I don't usually get food there (usually I sneak a bag of chocolately goodness in my bag. shh, don't tell) but if I'm really hungry I figure pretzels are probably better than most of the other junk they have. I don't like them with cheese, though...I think they should also have an option of chocolate frosting for dipping . As it is, I eat them plain.

Quoth Chazzie
            It's amusing that they even always use the word "ridiculous"... And only that word. Not "crazy", or "impossible".... "ridiculous".
            Synonyms: antic, bizarre, comic, comical, contemptible, daffy*, derisory, droll, fantastic, farcical, fool-headed, foolish, funny, gelastic, goofy*, grotesque, harebrained*, hilarious, impossible, incredible, jerky*, laughable, ludicrous, nonsensical, nutty*, outrageous, preposterous, risible, sappy*, silly, slaphappy*, stupid, unbelievable, wacky*

But if you're going to use it in writing, you have to spell it right: REDICULOUS!!!11!!!!!1!!!
            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 10-28-2007, 12:27 AM.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I had a customer say it was "odd, unusual and bizarre" that the in store pharmacy closed early on Sat/Sun. She then went to the CS desk and left her basket behind and told the clerk that she came to the store for one pharmacy item, but since it was closed she would not purchase the rest of the stuff. I love full moons....

Comment

INCONCEIVABLE!!!
                GFY

Comment

You have no pretzels. Ridiculous!

I always laugh when people misuse the word ridiculous. (Worthy of ridicule)

Perhaps rightly, I imagine their response to be that of a schoolkid:

"You ain't got no pretzels, nyer nyer nyer nyer nyer-nyer. Miffedies got no pretzels..."

(and so on. I had better stop now, I am enjoying myself too much.)

Comment

Quoth Miffed View Post
                    She must have a very dull life if us running out of pretzels is the most ridiculous thing she ever encountered.
                    No kidding! I pray for the day that this is my biggest concern!
                    "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                    ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                      I had a customer say it was "odd, unusual and bizarre" that the in store pharmacy closed early on Sat/Sun.
                      Um, every pharmacy I've ever been to closes early on the weekends.

Quoth MiloMorai
                      INCONCEIVABLE!!!
                      You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
                        Dangit! You beat me to it!
                        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                        X