This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it racist to hate racists?

I was working a quiet evening for a change, when the father of a friend of my (then) girlfriend (and now wife) came in the store.

We chatted for a bit while watching a little bit of television. I was actually enjoying myself up until a commercial came on that featured a black couple. Sadly, it's necessary to mention their skin color.

He sees the couple and says, "You know, they're taking over most of society with their special rights and their [deleted] music - I don't want to see them on TV too."

*sigh*

I would dearly loved to have told him off, but I couldn't. I was much younger and wanted to keep my job and my girlfriend. When I told her about it, she told me that, yes, he was a racist idiot and I probably should have told him off. His daughter (my girlfriend's friend) certainly wouldn't have cared.

So how do you handle racist encounters when you fear for your job if you were to speak out?

It hasn't been a situation where I was in fear for my job, but I have had customers say racist things to me about my coworkers. I have said things like "Actually, (insulted co-worker) is a good friend and a very good co-worker." Said with a polar chill and a slightly disgusted facial expression.

Or in social situations, I've said things like "Well, I that's a generalization of a type of person, not a generalization of an entire race of people. That's not accurate to say that about everyone who happens to be that color." Delivered with a slightly embarassed look and the tone of someone explaining something to a child. And then an abrupt breaking off of the conversation.

My bosses have all at least had enough sense to watch their mouths about that.

Comment

I must agree that I, too, hate racists. What's the point?

I was working at Sears in high school, in the shoe department. One day our manager has the bright idea to make us remove all the paper from inside the boxes that are stacked out on the floor....and there are a lot of them, being that this was around Thanksgiving/holiday time. Anyways, me and a coworker were taking turns spending time emptying the boxes. It was my turn, so I was on and off the floor with bags of paper and whatever, and my coworker was watching the floor and greeting customers. We were slow, so this was not a daunting task. I happened to come back out of the stockroom and start working on a table when a woman comes up to look at the display. I say "hello, how are you today," in a genuine cheery voice. She scoffs at me and says "you could have said hello to me when I first came in here."

I am speachless for a moment as I was not expecting to get bitched at. I start to say "I'm sorry, ma'am, I didn't see you. I have been in and out of --"

I get interrupted with, "whatever. You didn't want to say anything to me because I'm ___ (insert whatever race you'd like). That's what it was. You know that will come back at you. What comes around goes around."

[riiiight...because if I didn't want to talk to you because of the color of you skin, I wouldn't have talked to you AT ALL, idiot. And it's not like no one said anything to her. My coworker said hello and all that when she came in.]

I end the conversation with a cheery "yes, ma'am, what comes around does go around. It most certainly does."
      "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
      "Red."
      "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
      "RED!"
      "..."

Comment

Very clever, Kinkoid. Mind if I borrow those techniques?
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Whilst playing WoW, a fairly good RPG friend of mine of mine, who surprisingly enough had the word Black in his character name, started to spout racist nonsense at me. So I immediately, and untruthfully, claimed to be of African descent. (But aren't we all?)

His character quickly wandered away, and he hardly played at all for the next few months. I think he learned his lesson.

What colour is Coke? What colour is the can? What colour is Pepsi? What colour is the can?

We are all the same colour, we are just wrapped differently.

Comment

(Go WoW! :P) If you word it carefully, you will be at no risk to losing your job. Being an employee doesn't mean you have to take things like that. Just don't be rude about it (Even though we all want to).

Once, I had a lady walk up to my counter, and as I was packing her salad-order, she started in on how Jewish people were ruining our economy. How they were taking advantage of the rest of us and getting richer and not deserving it.

I admit right now, i lied to her. I'm not Jewish, but I hate people saying things like that. I looked at her with a hurt/disgusted expression and said quietly. "Excuse me, I'm Jewish, and I work just as hard as anyone for my paycheck. I believe I deserve every cent I receive, and it's going towards my schooling, which I'm paying for, not 'the rest of you'. Now did you need anything else?"
            Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

In one of my previous jobs I had someone spout some random racism at me about one of my coworkers. I walked them to the door and showed them how to use it.
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

It does amaze me how much people say things without thinking first. I make people feel really sheepish when they make cracks about mexicans. My mother is half mexican. Her father came to the US when he is 6. So that makes me a forth mexican. I do not look it in any way. I took after my father quite badly. My mom looks exactly like she should half mexican half irish. imagine dark mexican looks with slightly red hair. my father however is as white as white can be. he actually blends in with a white wall. he is tall with blonde hair and blue eyes even. My bro turned out looking like my mom's side. I am painfully pale. green eyes red hair....i just dont look mexican......but i have it in me. so they say something and i get all "what did you just say"
                My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

I worked at a Nordstrom in a wealthy, WASP area. Lot of new money. I had worked in a different department store chain in a different area that catered to old and new money. The one thing about old money was they usually, at least in public, kept any bigoted opinions to themselves. New money, with their serious entitlement attitudes, feel free to dispense their "wisdom" on anyone stuck in their vicinity.

One of my sisters married a guy from Hawaii, and ended up moving there with him. I was helping a customer one day who mentioned that she was on her way to the islands for her annual stay. I told her that my sister lived on the same island and where. Her response was, "Oh, the native side of the island," with the most condescending tone in her voice.

Another day, a customer was complaining about how bad traffic was and how poorly immigrants drive. I tried to be diplomatic by saying, "Well, many of them do come from countries where most people don't have their own cars, so they probably haven't driven before coming here." She somehow felt I was agreeing with her and went into this racist tirade about immigrants, how they shouldn't be allowed here, etc., etc., etc.

I hate all people in general, not in particular, so I guess I'm a humanracist.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Is it racists to hate racists? Well, if "racist" were a race, we would have some kind of paradox, and the universe would collapse in on itself, I think.

Comment

Is it ok to hate racists? I'd have to say no. Hate doesn't solve anything, and there's already a surplus of it in the world.

That said, RecoveringKinkoid definitely has a solid strategy. Her way ensures your job isn't threatened, defuses a potential confrontation (which is usually what these fools are looking for with their runaway mouth), and solidly puts the racist fool in their place. I say, wit beats hate any day.
                      Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

I wouldn't call it "racist" to hate racists, as racists.. aren't a race to discriminate against.

I once shut up a good friend of mine when she got a little carried away in assumptions. She's a GREAT person- But sometimes she can discriminate accidentally. I think it's just how she was raised, and she's trying to get better.

Regardless, I told her my neighbor was over, and at one point she started talking about African Americans - Not in a bad way, but she was saying that even if she doesn't want to be racist, they scare her and 'act really badly'.

My neighbor told me to tell her she was black(untrue). I thought that was hilarious, and did so.

"My neighbor's black."
                        "o_______o.... Really?"
                        "Naw, just kidding."
                        "XDD CHAZ!"

It was basically our way of teasing her for accidentally being racist. I think she learned well. :3

Comment

I like my company policy, racism is not tolerated from either employees or guests. Racial slurs or discrimination is grounds for immediate termination, and we as a business reserve the right to refuse business and we have a policy to inform them that racist comments will not be tolerated by anyone at the company, ask them not to call back until they can speak in a civilized manor, and then hang up... I love working for the largest international hotel chain on the planet.
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Race?

My Grandfather was adopted, there is no way to find out what race he was. Everyone always assumed Native American because of the way he looked, but there is no way to be sure. I can trace my Dad's family back 200 years though, English, Irish, Scottish. So I'm mostly white(?)

My Boss has tossed people out of the store for making racist comments. These adult women were runing down mexicans, while glaring at these 2 spanish speaking girls. Boss told them that is not allowed in the store, and they can leave, now. Boss then apologized to the girls and adked if they needed anything. I thought the girls would faint with shock. They stood there like Apparently the girls were not used to people acting like decent human beings.
                            Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                            The following is subject to change:
                            If Your Going Through Hell,
                            Keep Going...

Comment

I think the proper question would be "Are you a bigot for hating bigots?" Lets look at Dictionary.com for an answer: DEFINITION: BIGOT

Based on the dictionary.com definition, I am forced to say "Technically, yes", since bigotry technically falls under the category of a creed, belief, or opinion.
                              Do keep in mind, though, that, by the dictionary definition, you'd also qualify as a bigot for being intolerant of pedophiles' beliefs that its fine for them to molest children, or an OG-Wannabe's belief it's okay to shoplift from you.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X