This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do unto others..

Didn't want to derail another thread (Turn the music down!) but it did get me thinking. Why is it that so few people seem to realize that you have to give respect to get respect? And that being pleasant will get you so much further?

I had a tech tonight who would not let me finish a question before trying to answer it. He kept rattling on about how he was the ST (about 1-2 steps up from regular field tech, with slightly more authority, but certainly not the boss of me ) After I the third attempt to ask the same question, which I needed an answer to, I finally said, very sternly, "F, I need you to let me finish my sentence please, then answer the whole question." He got the point and immediately stopped being such a jerkface. I like when I can shock em by calling em out on their bad behavior.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Quoth myswtghst View Post
    Why is it that so few people seem to realize that you have to give respect to get respect? And that being pleasant will get you so much further?
    I've thought about this too, and I think it's one of three things -

No example set for them (parents are SCs, butthats, etc.), hard luck, or they've just given up.

For the latter, I'm sure we've all either thought about, or actually slipped a little into SCness, but hope, optimism, common sense, training, what-have-you brings us back into line. But as I've remarked around here before, humans aren't exempt from Pavlovian conditioning. If someone gets rewarded for sucky behavior, they are more likely to repeat it.

Sadly, the hard luck scenario is probably becoming more and more common. Truth of the matter is that cynicism, corporate indifference, and sheer bad work/workers all mean that being sucky is the only way to get something done sometimes. If the luck of the draw deals you those scenarios often enough, it becomes your first reaction rather than your last resort.

Comment

Working...
    X