This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Samaliel View Post
    Well, most of the Caesar salads I tasted didn't have any anchovies. I can tell, because I wouldn't have eaten it if there were some. Wikipedia states that the recipe including anchovies is the "Nouveau Caesar" recipe, not the original one. I bet one could raise the price of such a salad by $5 only calling it "Nouveau".
    No, you wouldn't actually see any anchovies - most of the the ones made with anchovies are made with anchovie "paste" and not actual anchovies.

I do have to disagree with Wikipedia on this one. I believe that the "original" does contain some form of anchovie - more than likely the paste.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Even if I wouldn't have seen any, I would have tasted it. I know what they taste like and I really don't like them at all.

Anyway, I am no cooking history expert, so I wouldn't quite know but most recipes I found didn't include anchovies. On the other hand, they didn't include any chicken either and every and each Caesar salad I've tasted included chicken.

Also, the Wikipedia article about this particular dish is quite heavy with references to Caesar Cardini, alleged creator of said salad, so I will trust their take on it.
      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Mmm-MMM!

I don't get my weekly Chinese fix until tomorrow. So.. very... hungry...

I always wonder how 'authentic' the food at the restaurant is, or if it's been highly westernized to satisfy the average American palate.

Not that I really care. Peanut butter chicken, egg drop soup, crab rangoon, steamed rice, and all the delicious hot tea you can drink, all for $5.95? Color me very happy.
        Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
          No, you wouldn't actually see any anchovies - most of the the ones made with anchovies are made with anchovie "paste" and not actual anchovies.

I do have to disagree with Wikipedia on this one. I believe that the "original" does contain some form of anchovie - more than likely the paste.
          the original caesar contained worcestershire sauce which does contain anchovie, the table side caesers have added the extra anchovie for showmanship and an alternative to adding extra salt, atleast thats what alton brown said.....
          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
            the original caesar contained worcestershire sauce which does contain anchovie, the table side caesers have added the extra anchovie for showmanship and an alternative to adding extra salt, atleast thats what alton brown said.....
            Now Alton Brown, I'll believe.
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
            X