This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bet their mum smoked too

Yesterday I had a 13 year old ask for cigarettes. On my asking him for ID, he came out with the two most common excuses:

"I've bought them here before" (that doesn't matter, you're not buying from me without proof you're of age. Does that ever work anyway?)
    "They're for my sister" (doesn't matter, the law specifically states "It is an offense to supply tobacco products to persons under the age of 18 years, even if they're for somebody else". Another part of the law states that retailers must have that section printed out and displayed near the cigarettes.)

So he goes away, sans smokes, and sends in his sister. 19 years old (I checked her ID too) and visibly pregnant. We can't refuse to sell tobacco to pregnant women so I had to sell to her.

I could see the train of "thought" there...

"Smoking while pregnant is supposed to harm your baby. I'm one of the 30% of female smokers who are too dumb to believe that, but I want everyone to think I'm smart so I'll risk somebody's job by getting my underage brother to buy them for me."

edit: Or maybe it's more "Smoking when pregnant doesn't hurt your baby. My daddy smoked when he was pregnant and I'm fine."
    Last edited by edible_hat; 06-10-2008, 10:30 PM.

It bothers me when I see pregnant girls smoking ... especially with the knowledge and information that we know now ...

As for the little boy -- isn't pretty obvious that selling cigarettes to minors is illegal? With all the signs everywhere ... Why do they still attempt it? Can they not read??
    This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

a) the kids hope they look old enough to smoke.

b) the info is piecemeal, how many people here have heard teens say 'oh, smoking just reduces birthweight, so it'll be an easier labour!'

c) Yeah. My Mum smoked and drank when she had my kid bro. She's reaping what she sowed now, he's pushing 40 and still can't hold down a job/girl/pet/conversation.

Comment

Quoth scruff View Post

b) the info is piecemeal, how many people here have heard teens say 'oh, smoking just reduces birthweight, so it'll be an easier labour!'
        see me on fratching to see what my opinion on people who do that is.
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Oh trust me, all kinds of people think "I've bought them here before!" is really going to work. I heard it almost every day. I even heard "You sold them to me before!".....and it's like.....ok.....I see how many different people a day.......how many of them are actually regulars.....yah...exactly....
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

That kid was trying to use his older/pregnant sis to get his smokes. Stupid kid.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Oh tell me, tell me they pulled the classic "park by the door and send people in one by one each time they are refused cigarettes" maneuver.

I loved that so much......I could see them perfectly from the door and they'd be right there playing musical chairs in the car taking turns coming in trying to buy smokes....
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I actually know a woman who tried to stop smoking while she was pregnant with her daughter and was told by her doctor to start back up. The strain on her body from quitting almost made her miscarry multiple times.
                Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Meh, as long as you're following the law and he's getting lung cancer, I don't see a problem??!!
                  Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

Smoking actually has only been reported to only cause low birth-weight in babies. There may be other issues, but my mom smoked with all 3 of her kids.
                    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Quoth scruff View Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hildbirth.html
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                      X