This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I can't give you a cash return with no reciept

Had a lady come in today with a $30 DS game wanting to perform a return. She said it was a gift and didn't have the receipt. Game was still sealed.

Now, you might think this unreasonable, but we get cops in all the time hunting down stolen games. It's extremely common to get people trying to get money for hot goods like this. Hence, no receipt, no return for cash, even sealed.

Me: "Sorry, but if I took that return for cash I'd get fired. With no receipt, the best I can do is a trade in for $12 store credit or $9.60 cash."
    Woman: "Are you kidding me?"
    Me: "Nope. I'd even be willing to bend the rules a little and take the trade even though it's sealed. Ordinarily we can't do that."
    Woman: "But it's brand new!"
    Me: "Doesn't matter. If I gave a cash return for a game with no receipt, I'd get fired."
    Woman: "Or you're just worried about losing the commission. I've worked at Radio Shack, I know how it works."
    Me: "I'm not on commission, I'm hourly. How much you buy means zero to my personal bottom line. You could buy every last game in the store and corporate might send me a card for 'excellent customer service'. I'd still be paid my hourly rate."
    Woman: "I could take this to Wal-mart and get cash back!"
    Me: "Yep. But I still can't do the return. I'd be fired. She *points to assistant manager* might just get in trouble, but that's still reason enough not to do it."

She left in a huff.

My manager and I continued talking about what we were chatting about before she walked in. Life goes on.

Be my guest.

Comment

Quoth Cvstos View Post

UM Ok. That is a completely different store with different return policies, so feel free to take it to them.

Comment

My store is right next to a Walmart, so you can imagine how many times a day I get to say that to people after they've stolen five of the same item and try to trade it in with us.
        Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth Cvstos View Post
          Just a side note: No, she couldn't. Best she would get is store credit for whatever it rang up as in our system, assuming we carried it. No cash with out a receipt, and for customers who pull the "other people do this"- I quadruple the "Go ahread ".
          "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

Comment

And people wonder why Target has strict return policies when it is so common for SC's to return stuff anywhere they can.

Comment

Working...
            X