This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes! Very scary night.

As you may or may not recall, I am pregnant. As in, due February 2nd. Sunday was terrifying.

Around 10 or 10:30, I started having trouble reading. I figured, hey, I've been reading for hours, my eyes just need a break. It was like a combo of your vision swimming and the afterimage you get after looking at a light too long. Well, it didn't fade like I thought it would, and I started getting a headache. At that point, I called my DH, who was on his way home from a friend's house, about 20 minutes from being home. Then I started feeling dizzy, and getting numbness in my fingers. These symptoms are enough like preeclampsia that I was getting worried.

By the time he got home, I was laying on my left side on the couch trying to remember my cat's name. Seriously, I couldn't remember nouns or form complete sentences in under 5 minutes. He called our midwife (while I'm over there trying to remember who the heck I know named "Brande") and told her what was up.

Yup, we went to the hospital. And wow, was I in a room fast. Now, at this point my mind was really fuzzy. I remember someone saying something about pre-e, something about induction, ivs... All stuff I really don't want. I could barely keep from crying, and I was so confused!

After several hours of being told to lay on my left side only on that hard mattress (which, if they used those things in prisons, our crime rate would go waaaay down) we got the test results back. My blood pressure is fine, my blood work is fine, baby is just dandy.

I have a UTI. That's all. I am SO relieved. Who knew a UTI could mess up your brain function?!

I did. Actually I've known that since I was about 4 when I had such a bad either UTI or Kidney infection that I didn't know who my parents were. Doctors thought I had meningitis but when they did the lumber puncture they figured out that the infection had got into my blood stream, gave me a broad spectrum antibiotic and a couple of days later I was racing round the ward.

Feel better soon!
    As soon as I start thinking
    That I'm sensible and sane
    The Random Hedgehog comes along
    And fiddles with my Brain
    (from card I got)

Comment

Thanks! I started feeling almost normal again about an hour after they gave me my first dose of antibiotics, thank goodness. I'm currently a bit more tired than normal, but I expect that to pass soon.

Comment

Good Heavens, that's terrifying. I'm glad you're all right.

My blood pressure shot sky-high in the last week or so of my pregnancy (it was normal before). I didn't have any of the symptoms you describe though. I ended up being induced 3 days before my due date because it was not going to go down until the baby was out. (And you know God laughs while people plan, right? Don't be afraid if you end up having an induction- it's not uncommon ). Good luck with these last few days!
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
          Thanks! I started feeling almost normal again about an hour after they gave me my first dose of antibiotics, thank goodness. I'm currently a bit more tired than normal, but I expect that to pass soon.
          Glad you and the little one are okay! That had to be terrifying!
          And why do they keep the employees in a cage? The same reason they keep lions, tigers and bears in a cage, to keep them from culling the herd. -Dark Psion

Comment

I totally thought you had a stroke!! I'm so glad it's not that.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

So glad that you and bub are okay! Hope your UTI clears up quickly, and that your labour is quick and easy.
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Glad you're okay , I would be scared too if that happened to me.

I'm curious, since you're at the third trimester, any tips on what to expect so I don't start freaking out? I'm coming at the end of my 2nd trimester. Due late May.

I am prepared to have some vision loss and preg brain as hubs pointed out I'm getting more clumsy and forgetful but is there anything else?

Comment

Thank you guys! it was honestly one of the scariest things that i have ever had happen to me- much as i may joke about it, I've never actually lost my mind before!

Honestly, CC, I've had a really easy pregnancy. The worst bits (aside from the lovely drama above) have been incessant hip pain and the need to run to the bathroom every hour. Heck, I haven't even had any Braxton- Hicks! That said, my OCD research says its different for everyone. If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them for you!

Comment

Quoth Caffienated_Caramel View Post
                    ... but is there anything else?
                    Standing in the stirrups and informing the entire hospital the boyfriend's ancestors were all brothers?
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
                      That said, my OCD research says its different for everyone.
                      That is the most true comment ever made about pregnancies. Even one pregnancy to another for the same person can be vastly different. And I'm just talking about normal, healthy pregnancies, not the weird or scary ones, either.

Madness takes it's toll....
                      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Wow. Glad you are ok. I hope the next few weeks go easily for you and the little one.
                        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Glad to hear you're feeling better, we had a couple of scares with both of our kids, thankfully both were born without any complications.

Quoth Ellain View Post

Around 10 or 10:30, I started having trouble reading. I figured, hey, I've been reading for hours, my eyes just need a break. It was like a combo of your vision swimming and the afterimage you get after looking at a light too long. Well, it didn't fade like I thought it would, and I started getting a headache. At that point, I called my DH, who was on his way home from a friend's house, about 20 minutes from being home. Then I started feeling dizzy, and getting numbness in my fingers. These symptoms are enough like preeclampsia that I was getting worried.
                          !
                          I get almost these exact symptoms whenever I get a migraine. You've even described it the same way i do. The only difference I can see is that I get severe nausea and then pretty much pass out.
                          I don't need to worry about preeclampsia though as I'm a guy
                          Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Working...
                          X