This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Colognes?

I never use cologne when I go out or anything but I'm interested in giving it a try every now and then. I'm looking for opinions on which smell the best. Female opinions would be the most helpful since it's women I'd prefer over men.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

The German one, definitely.

>_>

Seriously, though, I prefer things that smell more like natural man-scent that stuff that smells like manly perfume. I've only run into one cologne I actually liked the smell of, and unfortunately, I have no idea what it was.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

What I tend to prefer is a light musk scent, with maybe just a hint of pine. Sort of outdoorsy, without being all in your face. Citrus based scents are also good.

I'm also highly sensitive to fragrances and perfumes, being around someone who uses scents more than extremely lightly (I'm talking touch on the neck and pretty much that's it lightly) gives me a migraine and nausea.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Colognes change with body chemistry so you would have to try them in and bring a friend to get an opinion. Do not ask the sales person. I worked at a cosmetics and cologne counter and our directive was to upsell to the more profitable fragrances. It really matters to try it on, for example channel # 5 on me smells like a fine soap, my sister a delicate floral, my mother a big old pine sented car air freshener.

Comment

My mother and youngest aunt can't wear anything but Chanel #5, because they have odd chemistry. I, too, have odd chemistry, but in an entirely different way, which makes Chanel #5 smell like $5 toilet water.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

First, learn the major scent families.

Floral (self-explanatory)
            Oriental (spicey sorts of smells)
            Chypre (wood-ish smells)
            Citrus or Fresh (citruses, grassy smells, ocean smells)

Floral tends to - usually - go badly with male body chemistry. Some of the florals where flowers overlap with spices can work, as can some of the more ocean-smell florals.

The other three families can all work with male body chemistry. (On a related note, very few chypre/woody perfumes are made for females.)

Your first task is to choose a family. Go smell a spice cupboard, then some fresh cut wood, then cut a citrus fruit, or some grass, or stand near the ocean.
            Or just imagine those.

Which appeals to you most?

Okay. Now you're ready to go test scents.

Ask for a classic example of the three subgroups of the family you've chosen:

Soft oriental
            Classic oriental
            Woody oriental.

Classic woods
            Mossy woods
            Dry woods.

Citrus/fruity
            Green
            Water/ocean.

(or, less likely, soft floral, floral, and floral oriental)

Have the sales assistant spray one on the right wrist, one on the left, and one inside one elbow.
            Smell them right away.

Then WALK AWAY.

Smell them again an hour later.

Smell them again six hours later. Or eight, or something.

Scents have multiple 'notes'. Like music has high, medium and low notes, scents have .. well, multiple notes, and change over time. Also, your nose gets used to a scent, and you have to let it rest.

This test should tell you which general category of the family you've chosen suits you best.

Now you can walk into a perfume/cologne place with confidence, and ask to test three or four of their <whatever>. Dry woods, for instance.

Again, one for each wrist, one on the inside of each elbow. Never test more than four scents at a time, your nose will get horribly confused.

As for using scent: I use it very, very lightly. Most often, I will spray a cloud of scent a half-step in front of me, then step into the cloud and let it settle.
            If you want a stronger scent, spray onto one wrist, then smear that onto the other wrist, the inner elbows, and - if you desire - other places where your blood comes near the surface. Back of the knees, ankles, back of the neck.
            Another option is to spray it onto your hands and smooth it into your hair. However, if your hair is damaged, don't do this - only do it with healthy hair, some of the chemicals used to carry scents aren't exactly ideal for hair.

A perfume (or cologne) should - IMO - be nothing other than an enhancement of your own, natural 'clean' smell. In fact, one of the best ways to apply a scent is to use it as part of your bathing ritual. I might drop two drops - no more - of an essential oil into my bathwater. And that's my perfume application for the day.
            Last edited by Seshat; 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

When applying cologne/sprays, I've done two different things. Spray a small cloud and walk through it, or small spritzes to the armpits and chest.

Honestly, the last one I've used was Axe's Kilo body spray. I got some pretty positive reviews.

As for personal tastes, I like both some spice smells and I do like wood smells. I definitely enjoy the lumber section of home depot or a woodshop.
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Speaking as a person of the female persuasion. ....I like clean woodsy/herbal or subtly spicy scents on guys. Emphasis on subtle. If I can smell you from across the room....or the scent of your cologne lingers for hours after you've left...you're wearing too much. Actually, just using a scented soap in the shower (like sandalwood or an herbal scent) is great; the combination of clean skin and a little scent is verrry attractive
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Speaking as a person of the female persuasion. ....I like clean woodsy/herbal or subtly spicy scents on guys. Emphasis on subtle. If I can smell you from across the room....or the scent of your cologne lingers for hours after you've left...you're wearing too much. Actually, just using a scented soap in the shower (like sandalwood or an herbal scent) is great; the combination of clean skin and a little scent is verrry attractive
                  I prefer the walking near me, catching a faint whiff, and saying, "Mmm, where'd that come from!?"

Comment

The best compliments I've ever gotten for my cologne was when I wasn't wearing any. Seriously. On a few occasions, a female companion has said to me, "You smell good. What are you wearing." My answer: "Soap."

In my life I have owned one bottle of cologne, that someone gave me. It took me literally over ten years to go through it.

That being said, whatever cologne you do decide to experiment with, just remember all the horror stories about people who are choked out by some asshat walking around in a cloud of the stuff. Less is more, and a little really does go a long way. And remember...after a few moments, you won't actually be able to smell it anymore, as your sense of smell adjusts to the new addition, so don't add more; it's still there, you just can't detect it any more yourself.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                      I prefer the walking near me, catching a faint whiff, and saying, "Mmm, where'd that come from!?"
                      I've done that a few times...

Comment

A word of caution - if you're checking out a Cologne, and you think it smells like shit, you're probably getting too close to Al's ass.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          I've done that a few times...
                          You've walked passed me and thought I smelled really good?

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                            You've walked passed me and thought I smelled really good?
                            Well, probably not you specifically....

Comment

Personally, unless I'm passing by someone shoulder to shoulder/close enough that an "Excuse me" would be required, I believe shouldn't be able to smell them.

Passed by one too many people wearing Axe and it just ruined my sinuses for the entire day until I could get a saline solution to flush them out. Cologne (and perfume) for that matter can stick in the olfactory senses for hours depending on the chemical make-up.
                              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X