Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching TV for the first time in two weeks.

Hey, did you know the Super Bowl Coaches, Jim Harbaugh and John Harbaugh, are brothers? You do if you watch any TV at all, because it's been repeated 76 million times since January 20th.

Oh, and it turns out their parents live in Wisconsin, so of course this is all over the local news as well.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm going to a party at a bar downtown. It's hosted by the afternoon talk show. The food is amazing. The bar puts out a ton of chili, and at half time there's ribs from Famous Dave's. I can't wait to pour the Wilbur's Revenge sauce on them. MMMMMMM.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
        Hedgehog cheerleaders?

I am intrigued. Tell me more.
        http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...edgehog-417492

Yes, this year they have hedgehog cheerleaders. Last year they had bunnies doing the cheering.

Also, there will be highlights live-tweeted by Meep the bird.
        Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 02-02-2013, 10:47 PM.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

D'awwww....!

I might have to watch that now...
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
            D'awwww....!

I might have to watch that now...
            Animal Planet 3pm (Eastern time, at least)!

Comment

What am I doing for the Super Bowl?

The same thing I do every night.

Narf!

Comment

Us: Playing with the dog. Might clean the apartment a bit too.

oh and i have a good book to read too!

btw... who's playing again? No seriously I have NO IDEA who's even playing. I guess i should go look it up. hmm ravens & 49ers. meh. yeah i have a book to read.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

btw... who's playing again? No seriously I have NO IDEA who's even playing. I guess i should go look it up. hmm ravens & 49ers. meh. yeah i have a book to read.

Did you know the coaches of the two teams are brothers?

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

working as usual but do not really care about the game itself since Superbowl Sunday is smack in the middle of Welfare Week so tips might be ify AND the Green and Gold are not playing.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Breaking news flash!

Sons of local couple coaching opposing teams in Superbowl!!!

Quiet night at home - no wife to watch with (working) so I'll work up some 'party' type dinner, have a couple of beers, and cheer the underdog. Was fairly certain that would be the Ravens, but the reading I've done this week makes that seem a lot less certain. Former Maryland native, but a 'skins, not a Colts/Ravens follower, so that may be the decision maker. Still, SF fans in general are a pretty good group so I wouldn't mind seeing them take it.

And good idea on the DVR'ing Jester. I've recorded it for the past few years for the same reason; parties and/or bar scenes occasionally make you miss parts you'd like to catch. The interwebs do a good job of making the commercials available, but I like the context too. As the son of an ad-man, I'm sure you appreciate that seeing who shelled out for the 'first' ad, or the pre-and post halftime spots, etc. is almost as interesting as the commercials themselves.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

nope.
                        even worse i didn't realize it was happening this weekend until my bf mentioned it yesterday.

Comment

Apparently we have a lot of people in here who don't care one iota about the game. But as many of you know, I am a sports junkie, especially when it comes to football. So much so that, while I don't like either team, and had trouble deciding who to root for (go niners. yay.), I am STILL hugely excited about this game and this day, which is one of my six holy days.

Myself? As stated, I will be in a bar, as I always am. And when I say "always," I should point out that the last Super Bowl I watched in a place other than a bar was Super Bowl XXIX (Niners over Chargers), and the last time I watched the Super Bowl at home, I was a minor living at home (I'm 42.)

Super Bowl XXIX I watched at the first Super Bowl house party I ever went to. It was also the last Super Bowl house party I ever went to. Basically because my friend and I, who were intent on watching, you know, THE GAME, had a lot of trouble doing so, because it seemed everyone else was there for THE PARTY. And while I'm all for socializing, these people seemed clueless that there was even a game on, often walking or even standing right in front of the screen while we were trying to watch the game. I mean, I have no problem with socializing and even ignoring the game, but for football's sake, let those who want to watch the game actually watch the game. Which is why I like watching the game in bars. The TVs are at angles that allow those who want to watch the game to do so, no matter what is going on around them. And luckily, my friends know that if I am ignoring them while a certain play is going on, it's not personal, it's just the way I'm wired. And strangers who are in a bar seem to get that more than people at a house party (or at least at that house party).

Mike Greenberg of ESPN has a great idea when it comes to football. At his house, there is a designated "watching" room. Where, if you are there, it is all about watching the game, and if you want to socialize and do other non-game things, you need to go to another room, away from the "watching" room. I like that. I really, really like that. That way, everyone can be happy, from the diehard football fans (such as myself and Greenberg), and the people who are there to talk fashion and try out the dip.

Quoth sms001 View Post
                          As the son of an ad-man, I'm sure you appreciate that seeing who shelled out for the 'first' ad, or the pre-and post halftime spots, etc. is almost as interesting as the commercials themselves.
                          I actually find it only vaguely intellectually interesting, but not overly so. I find it far more interesting to see who paid big bucks for major air time for their commercials, especially if it's early (and thus bigger bucks), and somehow manage to produce some lameass, weak commercial, that has virtually no impact. Yes, I enjoy watching the flops flop.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

From my years in the school prison system, it seemed that most football players *parents* were brothers.

... and that was before 'roids.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

One hour and 3 minutes 'til PUPPIES!!!!!

I am gearing up by watching back-to-back episodes of Too Cute, right now it's kittens and up next is puppies. And then the game is on!
                              Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 02-03-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                                Two words: Puppy Bowl.
                                I watch Puppy Bowl every year - love the kitty halftime show.
                                That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Working...
                                X