This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Noise, the Noise!! Part Deux

Background: Already been over the fact that the bar is noisy and that its not right for guests trying to sleep. I hate the live bands outside here too because when they keep you awake, I have to listen to your complaints. It sucks going in to working knowing that you will be screamed at EVERY weekend. Yes, the guest complaints are valid, I'd be mad too. Reaming me (who's already told you that I'd love to do more to help, and have already done quite literally EVERYTHING within my power to help) is basically rage masturbation on your part.

Two guests stand out tonight.

1) Called to complain around 12:30am. Was told that I feel for her, would love to do more, but we're sold out and she's already on the quiet end of the place (honestly I am surprised she can hear it at all from down there). I told her that the band should be wrapping up at 1am, and encouraged her to contact the manager types to put in a complaint (frequently they refund rooms, or offer free nights as an apology). Called back at 1:05am, turned on fake waterworks, and you can tell they are fake. Gets off the phone with me and proceeds to dial 911... the officer comes out, admits that its ridiculous that someone would call emergency services about the noise (and because the cop came out and needed to talk to her too, will likely be up MUCH past when the band quiets down for the night) Good Job, not only did you tie up a line for a real emergency, call a police officer off their job protecting us from criminals, but you also managed to keep yourself up at least 30 minutes after when you would have gone to sleep, had you just waited the last few minutes the band was playing out.

2) Have any of you ever been getting just RANTED at? Like the SC is just going off, and just keeps going off for an extended period of time? You know when you're just in that holding pattern circling Philadelphia international airport, waiting for the fuel to FINALLY run out? Have you ever been ranted at so long on the phone that you actually tune the SC out, and go on with your work while he's ranting away, and you add in the occassional. "Mmhmm." or "I see." so he doesn't think you just sat the phone down and walked away? Have you ever thought of how futile all this ranting and carrying on is, and had to stifle a giggle?

Yeah. I had to mute my end of the phone on this guy tonight. He's just carrying on, and on, and on, and on, etc... and I just started laughing my ass off. Its bad, I know... I couldn't help it.

Did she ever hear of headphones?

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
      Did she ever hear of headphones?
      But . . . But . . . But that would LOGICAL.

By the same token, so would earplugs. Sounds to me like she just wanted something to complain about no matter what.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
        2) Have any of you ever been getting just RANTED at? Like the SC is just going off, and just keeps going off for an extended period of time? You know when you're just in that holding pattern circling Philadelphia international airport, waiting for the fuel to FINALLY run out? Have you ever been ranted at so long on the phone that you actually tune the SC out, and go on with your work while he's ranting away, and you add in the occassional. "Mmhmm." or "I see." so he doesn't think you just sat the phone down and walked away? Have you ever thought of how futile all this ranting and carrying on is, and had to stifle a giggle?

Yeah. I had to mute my end of the phone on this guy tonight. He's just carrying on, and on, and on, and on, etc... and I just started laughing my ass off. Its bad, I know... I couldn't help it.
        I actually have sat the phone down and walked away on some of the clearly crazy ones. Once, to come back 10 minutes and find the guy still talking.

But yeah, I've had the never-ending ranters before.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Wait...Why didn't the bitch woman in the first story get in trouble for making a false 911 call/report/whatever? I thought that was something punishable? Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, she handled it in the most dumbass way ever!

As for the second...Oh yes. Yes, I've been there. Ten solid minutes of being called every name in the book, plus a few new ones, I think. Unfortunately, I didn't have a mute button, and was too stunned to hang up.
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

The problem with using earplugs is that if they're any good, and you have to use an alarm clock (or wake-up call in a hotel) in order to get up at a certain time, you won't be able to hear your alarm and you'll oversleep.

But yelling at the person who works the front desk is not going to fix the problem. These people need to get a clue.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
              I actually have sat the phone down and walked away on some of the clearly crazy ones. Once, to come back 10 minutes and find the guy still talking. :rolleyes
              Same here, except the guy was my uncle. Well, at least he got it (whatever it was) off his chest.
              Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
                and I just started laughing my ass off.
                I can't help but think that's a really healthy response.

Comment

Quoth Zoom View Post
                  Same here, except the guy was my uncle. Well, at least he got it (whatever it was) off his chest.
                  Had my aunt pull that on me once -- while she KNEW I was at work (called me on the work phone) -- and threatened something dire if I dared to hang up on her or even worse, *respond to her* . It was so long ago I don't even recall what it was about. More than likely, I had gotten tired of her sister being an ass to me and replied to HER in no uncertain terms what I thought about such treatment. Naturally, they're both sweet innocent little munchkins who would never do anything wrong nor insult anyone for any reason and how dare I .....

She went on like that for a freaking HOUR. I'm lucky I still had my job after that.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yeah, I've had people *threaten* to call the police before. I've always explained that they were welcome to if they felt they needed to, but that since they were a guest in our hotel, that calling the police about our bar would be unlikely to get them anywhere.

As far as in trouble for a 911 call. I dunno... I mean the bar WAS noisy... but I never thought you'd dial 911 for something like that. It reminds me of the people who dial 911 because their order at Burger King was wrong. I kinda get the feeling that the whole thing is left to the discretion of the officer responding... also the police hang out in our lot at night... the bar calls them regularly, and we're centrally located enough to most of the calls that they get that we're just convienent (plus they know that we're MORE than happy to let them use our restrooms and stuff). I've had police respond to calls in less than 5 minutes here. So its kinda my guess that the officer was in our lot anyway, and decided to come in about it.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      The problem with using earplugs is that if they're any good, and you have to use an alarm clock (or wake-up call in a hotel) in order to get up at a certain time, you won't be able to hear your alarm and you'll oversleep.

But yelling at the person who works the front desk is not going to fix the problem. These people need to get a clue.
                      My solution? Cellphone with vibrating alarm, and pjs with pockets. Hard to stay asleep when your phone is vibrating pressed up against your leg, haha.
                      Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

Calling 911 for the noise... Yeah. pretty much cutting one's nose off to spite one's face. The only people I feel sorry for that in that one is the cop and you for having to put up with the dramarama.

now sure i understand noise keeping you up. for me it's not big noise like parties but small noises like someone snoring. I know, it's probably weird but i can ignore big noise better than small noise usually. Probably from learning to sleep with jets landing on my head (seriously, my rack was only a couple of decks down from the flight deck).

the only REAL solution to this is to convince the corporation that this setup isn't working. By calling them and getting refunds. Enough of that and they'll figure out that it's costing them more business than they're making.

Have any of you ever been getting just RANTED at?
                        First thing the came to mind was one bitch who called up my store. i forget why. i had other customers in line (was not allowed to let the phone ring constantly tho). I asked her to hold and the first words out of her mouth was "NO!" followed by yelling and swearing.

I don't even remember what she said. Didn't listen to it really. Didn't care at that point. Not if she was going to START with screaming and swearing as if we were there to take her abuse. At one point I held the phone away from my head, and could still hear her yelling. As soon as she stopped, I said I'd get her a manager and parked her call.

I am not a punching bag.
                        Last edited by PepperElf; 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM.

Comment

You're not really supposed to dial 911 for a noise complaint, but there are some areas where they don't have any other way to reach the local police if it's late or a smaller area.

In most good-sized cities, however, you should call the non-emergency police number, instead.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

AB - varies by jusrisdiction. In my area, it's literally 911 for everything, even if it's getting a kitty out of a tree. I actually looked up alternate numbers when I wanted to report things that were definitely non-emergency. They told me to call 911 and open with "this is a non-emergency call".
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              I use earplugs all the time when staying in hotels. (Mrs. IA can be a world class snorer.) I've never had any problem hearing either alarm clocks or wake up calls.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X