This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know what to say

Yet another weekend where every hotel in town is sold out. About 2AM I get a lady come in and ask for a room. I tell her we don't have any and when asked explain no one else does either. She says, "This is unacceptable, I have 3 small children in the car". I guess it was somehow my fault she couldn't get a room anywhere.
    "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

"Here, let me run over to Orange Apron and pick up the lumber to build you a room."

Comment

OK, I'll bite: why is she driving at 2 AM with 3 small kids in the car in the first place? Or do I really want to know
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

IT'S SUPER STUPENDOUS BIKE RIDE AND PARTY WEEKEND!!! I'm on vacation, hah! But yeah...dunno about your place, but we sold out for this last weekend in March. You'll need to drive for at least an hour away to find something, if you are lucky!

I actually tell people trying to make reservations a few weeks in advance for said weekend to, if possible, change plans and avoid town, and that I understand it's weird advice, but you aren't going to find a room! None! Zip! Nada!

Though if that's all the stories you have from this weekend, you should consider yourself pretty lucky.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

What's unacceptable, lady, is your decision to set out on a road trip, with three small kids, that lasts well into the wee hours, WITHOUT DOING BASIC PREPARATION LIKE ENSURING YOU'VE GOT A ROOM.

Comment

obvious case where being knocked up or having a child entitles you to break not only legal boundaries but also the laws of physics and reality.
            “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
            ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Some people really are that oblivious. When our friends were getting ready for their trip to Virginia and Myrtle Beach, I mentioned to the guy that July in Myrtle Beach is peak season. He says, "Oh, you think so?" And he wasn't being sarcastic. They'd been there in the spring and from what I hear from my sisters who went on this trip with them, they were very surprised when they got to Myrtle and the place was packed.

One of the places I had called about reservations had mentioned a big car show for that weekend and of course their rates rose accordingly. Never hurts to do research.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                Well, she could be in a situation where being out at 2am with three kids is better/safer than being at home. But for her to assume that having kids with her equals being able to get a room is still just silly!
                I think loads of people still believe that old myth that all hotels hold back a certain number of rooms, even when they say they're full.

And it may very well be true that some of the top hotels in the top cities do keep a few suites in case of a last minute request from the rich & famous.

But who on earth would your average cheap motel in your average small town be holding rooms back for at that time of night

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

The fact that she was there with the liddle kiddles THAT late suggests that your hotel wasn't the first place that she had tried that evening >_> She just didn't wanna believe that half a dozen places could all be sold out.

Tho, for the kids' sake, I really hope she meant that she had 3 young ones in the car *with an adult to keep an eye on them*...
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Got a similar situation here, with it being Little League World Series time.

I feel your pain.

SC
                    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

LOL, I always enjoy the shock experienced by those who are surprised that a hotel could sell out.

Its going to get me in trouble some day, especially because the bigger an SC they are about it the more it makes me laugh when I need to send them packing.

Sold out?! What does that mean? You're a hotel, doesn't it work like the Tardis with more space inside than it looks like on the outside?!?!

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
                        Sold out?! What does that mean? You're a hotel, doesn't it work like the Tardis with more space inside than it looks like on the outside?!?!
                        When someone figures out how to do that, I have a great business idea for a new themed hotel...
                        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

"This is unacceptable, I have 3 small children in the car".
                          And how does this change the fact that all the rooms are sold out?

Sometimes I wonder what kind of reaction that would get from them...

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            And how does this change the fact that all the rooms are sold out?

Sometimes I wonder what kind of reaction that would get from them...
                            Unpleasant . . .

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                              When someone figures out how to do that, I have a great business idea for a new themed hotel...
                              Probably patented by the estate of David Hilbert.
                              Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Working...
                              X