This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh. (A craft show story)

So on Saturday I was in (small town an hour away) at a craft show. I normally don't do craft shows this long of a drive away from home, but I'm friends with the lady running it and she desperately wanted me there. So I'm there doing her a favor.

Most of the customers there were nice, they told me how pretty the quilts were, took a flyer about t-shirt quilts, asked a few questions and left. Many people thought I was a local and kept asking me questions about "great aunt Ruth - you know, you made a quilt for her!"

One older lady was sucky - she was passing out flyers for her church's craft show and surely everyone at this show would love to come. I was polite and said I'd think about it. Where she really got bad was that she hung out at the show ALL DAY. 9am - 6pm. She was in my booth at least 10 times. Every time she came in she mentioned her show again and then picked through my things. "Oh these are lovely...I'd know you'd sell a lot if you went to my show. I'd buy something from you if you went to my show." I had to bite my tongue because I was tired of hearing it over and over.

The big annoyance was my booth neighbors. One of them I'll call "A". She has a regular full-time job and does crafting for fun. So all her things are priced way cheap. Normally we get along pretty well but this time she kept loudly bragging to me about every sale she had.

Other neighbor "B" kept asking me all kinds of quilt questions - I honestly thought she wanted to order one with all the really specific questions. Then when I told her I did still have some custom spots open - "Oh no - I can quilt, I just wanted to pick your brain!" Really, you can quilt? Is that why you sell mass market candles? Cause you're such an awesome quilter?

And then my last neighbors - two older ladies I'll call "C" and D". They owned an embroidery machine and made tea towels and baby quilts. They were both retired and sold their things cheap. I am not kidding when I say every design they had in their booth was copyrighted. There was collegiate, Disney, Peanuts, Warner Brothers, you name it - they had it. Their quilts were hand quilted and priced really low. They saw my quilts and of course asked a lot of questions. It wasn't long before they started nit-picking. "Oh, you machine quilt - a monkey could do that! Do you actually sell anything priced this high?! You're crazy if you think people would pay that! You need to do some county shows or something to justify those high prices!"

I'll admit, I did snap at them. I told them that over the past 3 years I've won 9 ribbons in a statewide quilting competition, that this is my job - not a hobby and I need to pay my bills. And that machine quilting is just as artistic and difficult as hand quilting. I guess I made them angry because they moved their chairs and sat the rest of the day in the aisle, blocking people from going to my booth.

8 weeks left until Really Big Craft Show
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Why were they allowed to block your booth? Couldn't you have gone to the organizers; I'm sure it would have been considered a fire hazard also.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

It was totally a fire hazard - and I was planning on going to the lady running the show, but they moved every time she came into the room.

If they hadn't been in their 60's I'd have sworn I was back in middle school!

Comment

So machine quilting rather than hand quilting is so horrid & easy, but using an embroidery machine instead of hand embroidering is ok? I think I'd have gone off about that.

I also think I'd have been making comments to everyone coming by about "so sorry the booth is blocked and you can't get in, some people have no idea where their own booth is and for some reason insist on sitting in front of mine, please feel free to push by them.

Then again, I'm not known for my brain to mouth filter.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

The way the show was set up, the cranky ladies booth was the first one in the door. When you walk in you can either go straight or turn right. My booth was to the right, so they sat where everyone walking in had to go straight. People were making a huge loop just to see my quilts. (a big appliqued unicorn hanging up might have had something to do with that though)

Comment

Oooh... do you have a pic of the unicorn?

Back OT, as a veteran crafter, I hate the hobbyists that price their stuff at stupidly low prices that make the professionals look like gougers. >_< And then they brag about the fact that their prices are so low, never once thinking about the fact that nobody could possibly live on the $2/hour they make for their work.

They're just barely a step above the people who walk by, make some snarky comment about how they could do what's on the table if they felt like it and then wander off.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              They're just barely a step above the people who walk by, make some snarky comment about how they could do what's on the table if they felt like it and then wander off.

^-.-^
              I'm not at all snarky, and don't say anything in front of a sellerof course, but I'm always thinking "I could make that" (and I could, too, if I just could remember it, and get around to it, and....). So I loved the sign one seller had over their booth once -

"Yes, I know you could make this yourself - but will you?"

Madness takes it's toll....
              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                Back OT, as a veteran crafter, I hate the hobbyists that price their stuff at stupidly low prices that make the professionals look like gougers. >_< And then they brag about the fact that their prices are so low, never once thinking about the fact that nobody could possibly live on the $2/hour they make for their work.

It wasn't even $2/hr. It was more like a $2 towel with winnie the pooh on it - priced at $2.25.

So my $5 quilted potholders even looked pricy.

Also photo of the unicorn is here: http://quiltingmoonkin.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html

Comment

I really like the fabric for the unicorn. Very nice.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Oooh that unicorn is just fantastic!!
                    I will proudly admit that I am NOT ever going to say "I could do that" - I have tried my hand at most types of crafty stuff, and... Let's just say crafts & I don't go together not for lack of effort on my (very crafty) mum & sister's parts!

I can't believe how much self control you must've had at that show. What a bunch of nasty tossers.
                    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                    What's the difference?
                    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                      "Yes, I know you could make this yourself - but will you?"
                      OMG!

My husband said exactly the same thing one year when I protested how expensive some curtains he wanted were going to be! Now I have to put up or shut up every time, and with my time dedicated to school and such, I wind up shutting up more often than not.
                      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

getting bolder with your direct applique?

guess my dragon helped?
                        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Tshirt quilts? Unicorn quilt is awesome and those "ladies" are jerks!

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                            ...some people have no idea where their own booth is and for some reason insist on sitting in front of mine, please feel free to push them right over
                            Fixed that for ya.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

See, I would've made some nasty remark about how they were violating copyrights, just to watch their faces get all red and cranky.

Your stuff is gorgeous. And $5 is not a lot for a quilted potholder! I have a friend who does quilting, or used to, I'm not sure if she still does...but I've seen what goes into it.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X