Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standards for "accessibility" vary widely depending on where you travel. In Granada, Spain, when I checked with a hotel to find out if they were handicapped accessible, I was assured that even though my room was on the fourth floor, there was an elevator I could use to get there.

Please check this photo to see where the elevator was located. You wouldn't believe me if I tried to just tell you.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/elevator.jpg

Oh, and the elevator door did not slide open, it had to be pulled open. The person on the landing should tell you how much room there was for that!
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

First, booking two days ahead is not exactly "advance notice."

And EvilEmpryss, that photo made me go Yeah, that's real helpful for the handicapped.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You know what's even funnier?

There was a short flight of four steps to get from the check in desk to the area with the fountain.

I am seriously considering starting a consulting firm to travel Europe and help the tourist industry there adapt their buildings to actual handicapped accessibility. I really got tired of encountering hotel rooms with a step up into the bathroom... and no apparent reason for the step to be there.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
          One of the unique features of the house was that all electrical outlets were a foot or more above the baseboards, to make it easier to plug things in.
          Now that's a cool idea. I like it.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          Personally, I think most outlets should be about a foot up on general principal.

I've almost never encountered a situation where them being only a few inches above the floor was actually useful.

^-.-^
          It isn't meant to be useful. It's meant to be out of sight.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
            You know what's even funnier?

There was a short flight of four steps to get from the check in desk to the area with the fountain.

I am seriously considering starting a consulting firm to travel Europe and help the tourist industry there adapt their buildings to actual handicapped accessibility. I really got tired of encountering hotel rooms with a step up into the bathroom... and no apparent reason for the step to be there.
            I have actually been considering going back to school for architecture so I can do just that.
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
              Funny you should mention that, because I forgot until you mentioned this that SC's husband DID call to confirm, and it went like this.

SCH: "Yeah, I'm calling to confirm that you have a reservation tonight for SC?"
              Me: "Yes, I see it here, I...."
              SCH: *interrupting* "Okaythanks" *click*

And at that time, I would have been able to assign a lower level room, if he'd taken a second longer to make sure that what I was confirming and what they needed matched up. And I'm not missing a space between "okay" and "thanks" up there...he said it quickly like it was one word and hung up that fast!
              And that just shredded the last sympathy I had for them.
              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
              What's the difference?
              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                Now that's a cool idea. I like it.

Also, low to the ground outlets are less of a trip hazard when cords are plugged in.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  Except that for about 90% of every use I've ever had for one has been something that was higher than a couple of feet and for which cord control would have been best at about 15-18" off the floor.

Quoth Cole's Law View Post
                  Also, low to the ground outlets are less of a trip hazard when cords are plugged in.
                  If you're likely to be tripping over cords, then there's a problem beyond how high the outlet the cord is plugged into is.

Nearly every one of our outlets is behind something, so you couldn't trip on anything plugged into any of them without doing something incredibly creative and already highly destructive.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"Oooh! You booked two days ago?! Well hold on!"

::Clicks away on keyboard::

"No, still no rooms... It will be difficult?! Hold on!"

::Clicks away on keyboard::

"No, still no rooms... This is unacceptable? Hold on!"

::Clicks away...

I really am tempted to try this out one of these days haha

Comment

Ooh, Skarredmind, when you do, please make sure to record the SC's reaction!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Absolutely! I think builders should hire handicapped people as testers and consultants, so they can learn what is the best angle for a wheelchair ramp, how high to make outlets, cupboards, etc. There are so many things the non-handicapped take for granted that the handicapped struggle with.

For example, a zoo I visited had a wheelchair ramp up to one of the exhibits. Great, right? Problem was, to get to the base of the ramp, you had to travel through a rather large area of loose gravel. Not good for wheelchair wheels, or the arms that have to push them! Somebody didn't think that one through!
                        That's her line of thought; while whoever designs/builds the stuff may be in compliance for HC access, sometimes its more that its in compliance in theory, rather than actually is. She wasn't nasty; she just wanted them to be aware that while the rooms were advertised as fully accessible, depending on the level of disability, some of the features didn't quite measure up, possibly for future guests.

Mom's biggest pet peeve is with a lot of stores and business that say they are accessible, which means, yes, you can get IN the door, but then there's so much crap displayed, she can't get into certain areas, or move around. That really irks her.

I have to say; most places we've stayed have been pretty good. In particular, we prefer Hampton Inn, as they've lived up to their claims of being fully accessible. We try and stay there as much as possible, because they're consistent, and the staff is always friendly and helpful.

Slightly OT: the best one I heard was from my cousin, who is a nurse in a millitary hospital. And she works with amputees, and others with limited mobility, etc. They recently moved, and their new space was not HC accessible AT ALL. So it had to be retrofit. Wonder which dumbass was in charge of that!

Comment

Working...
                        X