This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing accounts

Racket Man made a comment about changing utility bill accounts to avoid paying utility bills in another thread, and it reminded me of this story. It's rather long, and I didn't want to threadjack, so I started a new thread here.

I actually started a new account at one place where I lived, just to get the phone turned back on. I wasn't being sucky about it (or wasn't trying to). When I first moved out of my parents house, I shared a house with three friends, two of whom were engaged, A and C.

After several months of going over the bills and the rent as a group, and realizing we were all paying the same average a month, C. suggested that S. and myself pay a flat rate of $119/mo and she and A would take care of the utilities no matter what the bill was. I knew from the bills it would average out, so I agreed. It made budgeting a lot easier.

One day, C just picked up and left. She broke it off with A, and moved home. We were all stunned, no one saw it coming. That left it to A to take care of all the bills.

We had a couple of months where the phone got turned off because A "forgot" to pay the bill, and when Harry, our super nice land lord, would call asking about the rent because A "forgot" to pay it.

But then the phone got turned off and didn't get turned back on. That was a problem, a big problem, for me. At the time I was working for a nursing staffing agency. Usually I set up my shifts a week in advance, but not always or something would come up and my boss, Pam, would call and offer me something. No phone, no Pam. That hit me in the pocket book.

At the time I was in grad school and also living off a stipend, so I didn't worry too much about it at first. Pam would complain she could never reach me, and kept asking me to get a pocket pager (this was pre cell phones, guys). I was resistant. I hate electronic leashes (I didn't get a cell phone until I moved to North Dakota years later). But after a couple of months of this, I knew I had to do something.

Around that time, Harry dropped by to tell us that if he didn't get the THREE MONTHS back rent he was going to have to evict us from the house.

S. and I were stunned. I told Harry S and I had paid our rent to A, we had no idea he wasn't paying Harry. Harry was nice about it, but said there was nothing he could do.

I got a bright idea. I asked if he would consider making out a new lease to ME, and that I'd give him a security deposit and that month's rent.

Harry said he'd make the new lease, but didn't ask for a security deposit, "I know you paid into it when you guys took out the original lease."

I then called all the utility companies to set up new service in my own name. I couldn't simply change the account over to my name (they wouldn't let me), but that worked out because I didn't have to pay A.'s bills that way. He was behind on all the utilities. I did have to pay hefty security deposits, which hurt.

When A. got home and I told him what happened, he was furious. "I'm paying the damn bills!" he claimed.

Bullshit, I told him. He could stay, but he had to pay me $119/mo plus a security deposit, and he needed to fix things with Harry if he didn't want to get sued. A. grumbled, but managed to cough up the cash (I don't know if he ever paid off the utility bills, but I do know he paid off Harry).

The best part was years later, when I moved out to move into a new place with my boyfriend, Harry gave me the original security deposit back
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Next question.. what was A doing with the money he was getting from the two of you? Apparently, not paying bills. And apparently, he didn't tell you there was an issue to get you two to help either. That's on his head, not yours.

What you did wasn't SC at all. You wanted the bills paid on time and without fuss. You couldn't do that because the bills were all in A's name. You and S both could have looked for a new place, leaving A to deal with the situation he created. But you didn't. You took responsibility for the bills, paying hefty deposits, and made sure these accounts would not get screwed over.

The only thing I could see "wrong" was letting A stay after him not telling you that he was having difficulties with the bills or the lease. And then lying and saying he was paying the bills, which clearly he wasn't.
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Id agree that you were not an SC at all. It was a smart thing to do and Im glad it worked out in your favor. That would have been crappy otherwise.

teehee @ pocket pager.

Comment

indeed you made an honest effort to get the bills paid
        and made a point of smoothing things over as best as you could... while still getting the money out of the person who wasn't paying their share.

Comment

Although it may seem shady, I'm pretty sure that the very reason you were able to setup new accounts was because there are very many legitimate reasons - like yours - to do so. Doesn't explain, really, why utility providers try & chase new tenants for old tenants' bills tho
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

I'm surprised you handled 'A' as calmly as you did. Given all evidence that he was keeping the money for himself, I'd have told him to grab his things and GTFO. (Not paying rent for 3 months and also not paying utilities, so your rent money wasn't being used to cover his half of things)

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
              Although it may seem shady, I'm pretty sure that the very reason you were able to setup new accounts was because there are very many legitimate reasons - like yours - to do so. Doesn't explain, really, why utility providers try & chase new tenants for old tenants' bills tho
              Aye. Nothing like waking up to a Power Company Rep messing with the powerbox trying to turn it off because the previous tenants hadn't paid their bill. Not my problem, get off my property. He also insisted that we have had to have known this was going to happen because they sent notices to this address but in the previous tenants' name. I believe it's also an offence to open mail not addressed to you and that's why collection companys were created. Idiot.

Comment

Quoth Zaiida View Post
                Aye. Nothing like waking up to a Power Company Rep messing with the powerbox trying to turn it off because the previous tenants hadn't paid their bill. Not my problem, get off my property.
                I had that *attempted*, but at the time had my staffy/jack russell cross (all ball, no brains ) who ensured, shall we say, that no further action was taken on the matter

What's the difference?

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                  Next question.. what was A doing with the money he was getting from the two of you? Apparently, not paying bills. And apparently, he didn't tell you there was an issue to get you two to help either. That's on his head, not yours.
                  I honestly don't know what A was doing with the money. Around the time this happened, the car A had bought was repossessed. He was very upset that I didn't notice it get towed (I worked nights and was sleeping--I was dead to the world).

Clearly he was blowing it on something. He did get Harry paid off, though, so I have to assume he didn't blow it all.

Quoth raudf View Post
                  The only thing I could see "wrong" was letting A stay after him not telling you that he was having difficulties with the bills or the lease. And then lying and saying he was paying the bills, which clearly he wasn't.
                  Issues like this are why I refuse to get a room mate now. A. soured me on roommates. You would not believe the crap he pulled.

He would refuse to do his share of household chores.
                  He was evil to my mother when I was deathly ill (nearly died), and made it plain he did not want her in MY house (he officially had moved out when that happened, I started charging him rent again because I was so mad).

But get this: five years after all this happened, I got a new boyfriend. We decided to move in together after an attempted burglary at my house (the neighborhood had gone way downhill). The day BF was helping me pack and we were making the move, I got very sick: kidney stone (I'm prone to them), and had to go to the ER. I ended up staying over night.

When I was discharged the next day, I could not get A. to come get me (BF was at the house and we didn't have phone hook up--this was pre cell phone days). I had to walk home from the hospital (about six blocks). When I got back to the house, I found all my stuff gone. A. and his GF had literally thrown everything into boxes (rather than packing neatly) and thrown my stuff and BF out of the house.

BF had tried to pack stuff as best he could but A. really didn't give him any options, it was get my stuff and GTFO.

In retrospect, I truly wish I'd done that to A. five years earlier. We had been good friends, but I was young and naive and didn't realize what a total dick A. really was.

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
                  That didn't happen to me thank God.

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                  I'm surprised you handled 'A' as calmly as you did. Given all evidence that he was keeping the money for himself, I'd have told him to grab his things and GTFO. (Not paying rent for 3 months and also not paying utilities, so your rent money wasn't being used to cover his half of things)
                  Agreed, I should have. If I had, I'd have avoided a LOT of other grief that I got from this supposed "friend."

As I said, I was young and naive. I had a will to believe in the good will of those who claimed to be my friends.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Panacea that guy sounds like a total doucherag. You are much, much better without him in your life

What's the difference?

Comment

Wow, A was really a dickhead! What did A really blow all his money on?!
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Zaiida View Post
                        Aye. Nothing like waking up to a Power Company Rep messing with the powerbox trying to turn it off because the previous tenants hadn't paid their bill. Not my problem, get off my property. He also insisted that we have had to have known this was going to happen because they sent notices to this address but in the previous tenants' name. I believe it's also an offence to open mail not addressed to you and that's why collection companys were created. Idiot.
                        Also, there's this thing called 'mail forwarding' where things addressed to the old tenant getbproperly routed at the PO-so you probably never saw those notices!
                        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Oh I saw them but they looked like the standard company advertising material in a sealed envelope addressed to someone else. If it's not addressed to me and it's in a letter I don't touch it other than to toss it or RTS. Besides, the previous tenant did a runner so I doubt mail forwarding was set up.

Comment

Working...
                          X