This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The long, drawn out return

Not me, but one of my CWs had a woman last night trying to return, and repurchase items, which have since gone down in price. Now my store's policy is we ONLY do adjustments when an item goes from full price to the first hard markdown. And only if purchased within 14 days of said markdown. We don't do them for first markdown to second, or when an additional % is taken off the markdowns. Otherwise we'd have people coming in a hundred times, returning, and re-buying. ALthough, if a customer is nice, we know them, and has purchased a lot of stuff, where the savings would be significant, sometimes we will make an exception, but most of the time, no.

My store also recently started cracking down and enforcing our policy of no return without a receipt or finding the item in the customers history. We used to take it back, but would only give store credit for the current price, including any additional %. So if someone paid $49.99 for an item, and it was marked down to 34.99, with 50% off, that's what they would get, not the 49.99.

So this woman comes in last night, with several similar items, and a pile of receipts. She claimed someone in our store told her she could buy the items at the low price, and bring back the others she paid more for. Um no. Then her receipts didn't match up to the items. She kept saying how she bought them all at the same time, and my CW kept nicely telling her well, but only 2 of the 3 are on this receipt. This went around and around and around, including TWO calls to our CS. The woman would not give up, and wasted a good 45 minutes arguing and back and forth, with my CW and the manager. Manager finalkly said look, I can take these back, but you cannot rebuy them. Customer tried again to claim when she was in earlier that day, someone told her she could, and manager said no, i was THERE, and she said no such thing.

She finally left, but really? and it was like $2-3 on each item. While I get that its a lot to some people, if we say we can't do it, then accept that and leave!! And my other CW said she was in prior to this, made a huge mess, was nasty and entitled, and after all that, didn't buy a thing.

We had a 30-day "price match" policy at my retail salt mine that was very similar. However, most of the problems I had were from customers who wanted us to price match a sale that occurred over two weeks ago (and oops, didn't make the purchase when the going was good). Or folks who wanted us to refund the difference on different models of product. But like with your sucktomer, some of them would just stand around and squawk and bleat like spoiled children, and almost always have that "someone" that they envoke to lend credence to their lies beliefs. Yeah, unless "someone" was the CEO, and of the same company, and you can prove it, then I'll cut you some slack.

I once had a customer shout (SHOUT!) at me, when no, I would not mark down that TV $100 because it was on sale almost a month ago when you saw it, saying that "You didn't even try!" OH YEAH, MY TIME MACHINE! I would try that, it's in the shop for a broken flux capacitor. Otherwise, I can't say that shouting at me really puts me in the mood to cut someone a deal, and you ought to consider apologizing to your wife next to you for embarrassing her.

Fortunately, I got a bit of sympathy from another customer after he finally fucked off.

The moral here is that people be crazy for their discounts.

Comment

Oh I know. and sometimes we get them wanting to return/rebuy when its gone from 30% off to 40% off, on an item that was less than $20 to begin with, so their total savings would be a $1 something.

My other pet peeve is now that all sale stuff is 50% off, they will come up with one or multiple items "how much will this be?" Are you really that stupid you can't divide the price in half? One item, I'll glance and tell them, x price. Multiple, I tell them (if they are buying something) let me ring it all up, take the discount, and then you can decide what you want and don't want as I can void the item.

My store USED to only do 2, then 4 sales a year, with no sale merchandise any other time. They'd do one markdown, a second, sometimes a third, then an additional 25% off. I myself would play the game (before I worked there) but I'd simply buy it, and if it got marked down again, AND I could find it, buy it a second time, and return the first one. But that was ok as I wasn't demanding they let me return and rebuy the same item. I'd buy two, and return the more pricy one.

Comment

Working...
      X