This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you for your feedback, lady.

Today I was in front of my register filling some dohickies and was just about done when a women pushing a cart comes up. I tell her that I'd be right with her and in the time it took to turn my head to finish my task she's already walking out the door with these hurtful parting words "That's a great way to treat your customers!"

I let the manager on duty know to kinda cover my ass but I know that if this person calls it will be my fault and I'll get a talking to about how I can handle it better. Even though sometimes the customer is just an asshole.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

And if you hadn't said anything she would have said you ignored her, and if you had left what you were doing to attend to her, she would have said you were trying to rush her. Some people just live to complain.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      And if you hadn't said anything she would have said you ignored her, and if you had left what you were doing to attend to her, she would have said you were trying to rush her. Some people just live to complain.
      Ah! My first and last day of my first job. The one I've NEVER mentioned on any resume...ever.

I did the same thing as the OP and I got chewed out about it for how I should have dropped what I was doing and assist the person as soon as they needed the help.

Then when someone else came up and I dropped what I was doing, I got reported for rushing to get rid of this person. Got chewed out and told that I should be polite and acknowledge the customer and finish what I was doing or even better, call for another employee to serve the customer.

I did that. Then got the holy what for because I was racist and didn't want to serve the person. Mind you both she and I are white, I was just very tanned.

Got chewed out again. Tried to explain that I was getting chewed out for doing what the management wanted me to do. I was informed that one more infraction and I would be terminated with cause.

At which point I took off my name tag, placed it on the manager's desk and quietly walked out. No name calling, no gestures, just wrapped myself in my dignity and left.

When I told my folks why I quit (this was a summer job when I was 16) they said "That explains why we never see the same people at that store." No one in my family ever shopped there again.
      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I'm convinced that there is no winning in situations like this. Right now my company is all about the customer experience. We're encouraged to ask customers to fill out the survey on the receipt. And if things weren't high scoring what can we do to improve that...without exactly asking for high scores.

Whatever.
        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I consider myself lucky that my boss has common sense. This happens so much at my job, most of the time people throw their hands in the air and walk away when someone doesn't rush right out to help them. We can be fully staffed or understaffed, it doesn't matter, with every one of us rushing in what feels several different directions at once, or already engaged with other customers.

"Excuse me. Hey! Excuse me. EXCUSE ME!!!!!"

"Someone will be with you in just a moment."

"Ugh, FINE!" *storms off*
          The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Working...
          X