This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You need to see my ID?

This is another case of idiotic ironic complaining of time wasted and inconvenience, where the customer will proceed to make a big deal out of something because it takes them an extra 10 seconds and consume a friggen 5 minutes to do so.

Stopped by a drug store to get supplies, and the guy ahead of me approached the cashier asking for cigarettes. He looked to be about 40 or so.

Cashier: "Can I see some ID?"

Guy: "You're kidding me!"

Cashier: [points at the sign that says 'We Card EVERYONE'] "It's store policy, sorry."

I should note that the guy already has his wallet out to pay.

Guy: "Well, that's friggen stupid. What a pain in the ass. You see me? Do I look 18?"

Cashier: "Sir, we ID everyone. It's our policy."

Guy: "Geez, I don't believe it [waving wallet]. This is a waste of time!"

Cashier: "You need to show it to me before I get your cigarettes."

Guy: "Fine, fine... [takes 2 seconds to take his ID out of his wallet] There. Can I get them now?"

[Cashier starts punching keys on the register as she reviews the card]

Guy: "Woah woah woah woah! Are you entering my license number?!"

Cashier: "No, it's just your birthdate." [guy looks at her incredulously] "I swear, it's just your birthdate."

Guy: "I'm telling you, these cigarette laws are getting friggen stupid now. I can't even get them without getting hassled for ID now and who knows what else you guys know about me..."

Cashier: "Yep, well, I have no say about it. It will be [price]."

Guy: [taking his time to pull out his credit card] "I'm not blaming you. I'm blaming the system. I'm damn closer to 80 than I am 18, yet I have to waste my time pulling out ID."

Cashier: [faking sympathy] "I know, sir."

Guy: "Next thing you know they'll be putting us in gulags... well, not really, I'm being facetious, but you know what I mean."

Cashier: "It's [price]"

[Guy finally hands her his card]

Cashier: "Here's your receipt. Have a nice day."

Guy: "You know what I mean, though?"

Cashier: [losing it] "Yes. It's store policy. I have NO control over it."

Guy: "Oh, yeah, I know. It's not your fault. But your manager should know it's stupid."

Cashier: "It's not my manager, either. It's coming from corporate."

Guy: "Yeah, well, I think they're morons. Such a waste of time for someone who looks like me to have to pull out ID."

Cashier: [gritting teeth] "Alright, have. a. nice. day."

Guy: "Yeah, yeah, you too."

[Guy finally leaves; I pull up]

Cashier: "So sorry for the wait."

Me: "No problem."

[Guy walks back in]

Guy: "Do you have the number for corporate? I need to give them a piece of my mind."

[Cashier hands him the number]

These idiotic customers don't realize how they've just spent a friggen 5 minutes complaining over a 5-second "inconvenience." Just annoys me to no end... this guy was especially oblivious, not only to the fact that he's greatly extending his time by whining about it, but also to the cashier's very transparent "Please go away so I can help other customers waiting patiently in line" look.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

While if he looked close to 80 I do think it was stupid he should have to show it, that WAS a colossal time suck.

Comment

While he may have had a point with "I'm damn near 80 and I look like it, I shouldn't have to show ID," the facts are spelled out right in front of him, with a sign even, that the cashier was gracious enough to point out--

THEY CARD EVERYONE.

If they make exceptions for "I'm damn near 80 and I look like it," then they'll make exceptions for other people. And if they'll make exceptions for other people, then they'll slip up and not card someone they really should have carded, and then they get busted by the cops.

In short, Guy should have shut his word hole, shown his ID, paid, and got out with a minimum of fuss at the cashier, who has absolutely no say in the law or corporate policy.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

"gulag"? Really? Drama queen much?
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I don't see any problem with carding everyone, regardless of how "old" they look. It's impossible to gauge people's age accurately. I've seen 18-year-olds that look older than me (I'm almost 45) and I have a friend who's going to be 50 soon and looks like she's in her late 20's. Hell, I still get carded on a regular basis and the person carding me is often surprised when they see my age.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            While he may have had a point with "I'm damn near 80 and I look like it, I shouldn't have to show ID," the facts are spelled out right in front of him, with a sign even, that the cashier was gracious enough to point out--

THEY CARD EVERYONE.

If they make exceptions for "I'm damn near 80 and I look like it," then they'll make exceptions for other people. And if they'll make exceptions for other people, then they'll slip up and not card someone they really should have carded, and then they get busted by the cops.

In short, Guy should have shut his word hole, shown his ID, paid, and got out with a minimum of fuss at the cashier, who has absolutely no say in the law or corporate policy.
            There are businesses, mostly convience stores but larger grocery stores are joining in , that have stated policies of carding EVERYONE NO EXCEPTION for age restricted items. If a cashier or clerk or even a manager" makes an exception" they can and do lose their jobs purely because of the stated company policy.

I remember reading in a convience store trade magazine years ago about a chain out west where a 20 year manager was fired on the spot for not carding an older looking person.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I've never had a problem being carded. I keep my ID on me when I'm out and about driving around, so it's not really a big deal.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I love being carded at 28, for something you have to be 18 or older to buy. I mean, I look 10 years younger than what I am, so it's a bonus! I know that people LOVE it when they're told they look younger than what they are, so why do they hate being carded?

Comment

I can think of a very good reason for that "No Exceptions" rule.

If he cards some people and not others, you're likely to get an outburst like "YOU CARDED ME BUT NOT HIM!!! THAT'S DISCRIMINATION!!! I'MM GONNA SUUUUUUUE!!!!!11!1!"

Saves trouble all round, seems to me.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                    I love being carded at 28, for something you have to be 18 or older to buy. I mean, I look 10 years younger than what I am, so it's a bonus! I know that people LOVE it when they're told they look younger than what they are, so why do they hate being carded?
                    I hated it, as I got carded everywhere (still passed it over without complaining, obviously!) I even got carded picking up cigarettes for my mum the day after my 21st (the legal age for cigareets in the UK is 16).

The day someone didn't ask for ID was they day I nearly kissed a total stranger; I was 29 and had just got my first few grey hairs!
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I know I went to school in NJ, but even I know that 40 is closer to 18 than it is to 80. LOL
                      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                        I know I went to school in NJ, but even I know that 40 is closer to 18 than it is to 80. LOL
                        That's only what he looked like. He could very well have been 50, in which case he would have been right by 2 years.
                        Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                        Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                        Fiancee: What?!
                        Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                          While if he looked close to 80 I do think it was stupid he should have to show it, that WAS a colossal time suck.
                          Appearances can be deceiving. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The cops send undercovers in these places all the time trying to catch clerks violating the law. If they do, it's a big fine for the store (and possibly the clerk) and the clerk will most certainly lose her job.

Not. Worth. It.

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          I don't see any problem with carding everyone, regardless of how "old" they look. It's impossible to gauge people's age accurately. I've seen 18-year-olds that look older than me (I'm almost 45) and I have a friend who's going to be 50 soon and looks like she's in her late 20's. Hell, I still get carded on a regular basis and the person carding me is often surprised when they see my age.
                          I used to be astonished by the appearances of some patients who looked way, way older than their stated age. They were universally heavy drinkers/smokers/drug users.

OTOH, my priest told me yesterday he thought I was thirty. I'm closer to 50
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Unless you have a few thousand dollars in your pocket for my fines, a new job for me to be able to start at right away, and possibly a lawyer depending on how far the law takes things, then... No, I will not sell you tobacco/alcohol/lottery/whatever other age restricted product without ID. Our policy is to card if they look to be under 27 years of age. There again, looks can be deceiving!
                            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Sounds like the OP's store needs to amend their ID policy:

We card EVERYONE.
                              However, if you throw a fit when we ask to see your ID, we will NOT sell you age-restricted items regardless of your actual age.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X