This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More instant karma!

This was from several weeks ago, just forgot to post it.

I was out running errands, and was sitting at a red light waiting to turn left off a side street onto the main road. The green left arrow came on and I started to pull out into the intersection, checking both ways and...

...quickly slammed on the brakes because a gosh darn CEMENT TRUCK was blatantly running the red light. This was a few seconds after my light had turned green, meaning it'd been even longer since his light turned red. He never even tried to slow down. Good thing at least one of us was paying attention!

I laid on the horn as he passed in front of me. Way to almost kill me asshole!

I started to go again when all of a sudden an SUV waiting to turn on the other side of the intersection abruptly pulled out of the line and gunned it!

Me: What the fu---- oh.

It was a police car. On went the blue lights as he took off after the cement mixer.

[mr. Burns mode]Excellent.....[/mr. Burns mode]
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

There's been more than a few instances where truck drivers just don't care, don't try to stop, but just plough through.... Can't be bothered downshifting to slow and then back up to accelerate again...

Almost lost my car a few times for that, I'd have a green light, but now, this guy wants to break the law...

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
      There's been more than a few instances where truck drivers just don't care, don't try to stop, but just plough through.... Can't be bothered downshifting to slow and then back up to accelerate again...

Almost lost my car a few times for that, I'd have a green light, but now, this guy wants to break the law...
      Thakfully that tyoe is on the rare side. If they were common, we'd all be dead!
      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

In OP's case, I hope the cop not only followed procedure (vehicle being ticketed must shut down engine), but also took his sweet time writing the ticket and running the guy's license to see if there were any outstanding warrants.

Fun fact: the reason the barrel on a concrete mixer is constantly turning (runs off hydraulics powered by the engine) is to keep the contents from starting to set prematurely. Any significant time at the side of the road with the engine off will cause the load to be ruined (even if still pourable, quality is affected so the consignee will probably reject it if they know about the engine-off part of the delay).

This would REALLY tick off the idiot's boss - ruined load, need to re-schedule the delivery with another truck, customer paying workers to stand around waiting, and (if it's a BIG pour involving multiple trucks arriving in sequence) could even cause problems with the jobsite due to the previous truck's load having started to harden before the next truck's load arrives, resulting in the slab (or whatever is being poured) having a weak spot rather than each junction between loads be a "wet concrete/wet concrete" join.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

One can only hope
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Fun fact: the reason the barrel on a concrete mixer is constantly turning (runs off hydraulics powered by the engine) is to keep the contents from starting to set prematurely. Any significant time at the side of the road with the engine off will cause the load to be ruined (even if still pourable, quality is affected so the consignee will probably reject it if they know about the engine-off part of the delay).

This would REALLY tick off the idiot's boss - ruined load, need to re-schedule the delivery with another truck, customer paying workers to stand around waiting, and (if it's a BIG pour involving multiple trucks arriving in sequence) could even cause problems with the jobsite due to the previous truck's load having started to harden before the next truck's load arrives, resulting in the slab (or whatever is being poured) having a weak spot rather than each junction between loads be a "wet concrete/wet concrete" join.
            Wolfie got it just right! Every ticket is time stamped and, as an inspector, is one of the first things I look at. If the load is old I have the authority to reject it. And that adds up fast.

I had one job once that overlooked a major road. The cops were pulling over trucks for inspection including a lot of concrete trucks. It was amazing how many failed. The loader operator and I were watching all this while eating our lunches and were commenting on what job up the road wasn't getting its concrete...

Comment

I'd say the cops were sucky on that one. Not in doing the inspections, but in doing them on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. They should have chosen the side of the road where the mixers would be returning to the plant, rather than heading out with a load - if it was anything other than a simple weight check, the delay due to the inspection could have resulted in the loads being rejected, even for the trucks which passed inspection.

Conducting safety inpsections is one thing, choosing the inspection site in such a manner that perishable product is unnecessarily destroyed by the inspection is another.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                I'd say the cops were sucky on that one. Not in doing the inspections, but in doing them on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. They should have chosen the side of the road where the mixers would be returning to the plant, rather than heading out with a load - if it was anything other than a simple weight check, the delay due to the inspection could have resulted in the loads being rejected, even for the trucks which passed inspection.

Conducting safety inpsections is one thing, choosing the inspection site in such a manner that perishable product is unnecessarily destroyed by the inspection is another.
                That is ASSUMING they knew there was a job with concrete and full mixers were going by. It could have been a spot chosen at random, bad fortune does happen sometimes.
                I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Actually it was one of those "let's look like we're doing our job" deals where there had been a number of recent wrecks due to poorly-maintained trucks. So the politicians decided to get the cops out inspecting. This was a fairly busy road but there was no place to pull SB trucks over, only NB ones.

And the concrete trucks being pulled over and held were for a small company I knew little about other than their plant was south of where we were. But I would guess their fleet was poorly maintained. There were some concrete trucks from the bigger companies that were in and out fairly quickly. And word got out quickly - soon there were no concrete trucks to be seen at all, and few other trucks. Inspections started around 10:30 and cops were gone by 1:30 as word got out...

Comment

Working...
                  X