Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential self sighting but rather satisfying. (gross)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Panacea View Post
    Not the phone company . . . the FTC. There are strict rules about how bill collectors can behave. Major fine, in the realm of $10,000, if they break them per infraction.

Calling every hour on the hour is harassment. Sounds like 13 infractions right there.
    This. I can't imagine calling hourly for weeks not being harassment. An extreme case of it, at that. On top of that, I really don't think they can charge you like that without your consent...
    » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

I'm scared to pay a bill that went to collections (missed a fee during my son's ear and throat surgery, thought I had gotten them all paid off) because NOT ONLY have they somehow got my bf's name attached to this debt (he and I share NOTHING financially, and don't have/don't use credit, less hassle if something happens), but now I have TWO different companies calling for the same debt.

I had all the finances lined up to pay it all off at once, UNTIL I noticed as I went through the mail and the phone messages that there were TWO companies that wanted the exact same amounts with the exact same info! So far, I haven't been able to confirm that they are affiliated or whatever, and I need to actually get them on the phone (seems impossible when I call them, all I ever get is ppl that want my bank info, which I am NOT giving), and tell them that I'm not paying anyone until only one person is sending me a bill. Other than that, I don't know what to do. I've never even HEARD of someone having TWO collection agencies coming after them for the same bill!
      ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
        I'm scared to pay a bill that went to collections (missed a fee during my son's ear and throat surgery, thought I had gotten them all paid off) because NOT ONLY have they somehow got my bf's name attached to this debt (he and I share NOTHING financially, and don't have/don't use credit, less hassle if something happens), but now I have TWO different companies calling for the same debt.

I had all the finances lined up to pay it all off at once, UNTIL I noticed as I went through the mail and the phone messages that there were TWO companies that wanted the exact same amounts with the exact same info! So far, I haven't been able to confirm that they are affiliated or whatever, and I need to actually get them on the phone (seems impossible when I call them, all I ever get is ppl that want my bank info, which I am NOT giving), and tell them that I'm not paying anyone until only one person is sending me a bill. Other than that, I don't know what to do. I've never even HEARD of someone having TWO collection agencies coming after them for the same bill!
        My husband's college debt. The school signed him up for a single-semester loan without his permission or knowledge, and now there are at least two collection agencies, the college itself, and the loan company after us. The only people working with us are the loan company.
        Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
        http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Holy wow, see, do you get a lawyer for that stuff or what? This stuff is beyond my ken, I've always managed to save up for everything. (Crosses fingers so as to not jinx self).

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Send them a debt verification letter. Both companies. If neither respond in 30 days upon receipt (send it with a return receipt and signature confirmation), its taken off your credit report. most collection agencies don't respond because theyve done something to violate the fair credit reporting act and its cheaper to let it go than be fined by the government.
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Oooooo this is good to know. Awesome Whiskey, thanks a bunch!

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Oooooo this is good to know. Awesome Whiskey, thanks a bunch!
                http://www.helpmanagemydebt.com/Comm...-Debt-Help.htm

Once you send them a DV, NEVER speak to them on the phone. They can promise the world on the phone, but unless its in writing its meaningless. It looks like Oregon is a one party consent state, look into that. If it is, record absolutely EVERY call (if they do call you, or you call them, neither should happen) that you have.

Also, if they call you after you sent a DV (google for a sample, it'll say somewhere in there about only being contacted by mail and no other means), its a violation of the FDCPA and you can have the mark removed from your credit since they violated the law.

I'm pretty sure they can't sell off your debt to multiple companies anyways, but dont quote me on that one.

Oh and if they threaten you with anything, wage garnishments, calling your job, lawsuit, etc don't worry about it. Fear is a wonderful motivator and it gets people to pay. Half the things they threaten are ILLEGAL TO THREATEN. But like i said, most wont even bother to respond. When they don't you contact the credit bureaus with a copy of your return receipt from the post office and the signature confirmation it was received and they'll take care of it.
                Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
                  anyone got a vuvuzela I can borrow?
                  hey, thats just not funny.

remember, a lot of the poeple on the end of those phones are just normal people stuck in dead end jobs like us, don't go mad at them, direct your anger at the companies themselves

sorry to bring the thread down, but one of our inbound agents here had to go to hospital with a ruptured eardrum after an airhorn incident this morning, they only got to "Good morning, company name, how can..." when I heard the noise coming out of her phone from the next room...
                  "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                  Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

I hope she can sue or take legal action against the person that did that. On another note, your inbound agents don't have earpieces that limit the decibel level on the receiving end of the call?

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

I work customer service for a mortgage servicing company but also occasionally make collection calls for some of our higher profile clients since our average collections rep tends not to handle them delicately enough and then we get shit about it.

I know our collections area has an automated dialer that will make automated calls out and then is supposed to transfer you to a live person if you pick up. It does sometimes go haywire and call hour after hour and never transfer you through but it's not supposed to. Also being charged for "counseling services" while a total rip off may or may not be a valid fee that the company can assess. We have some fees that are stupid but fall under servicing rights.

Now you can absolutely send in a written cease and desist letter at which point they must remove all your telephone numbers and can only contact you by writting. I would suggest that course of action and it should make the calls stop right quick.

Comment

Working...
                      X