This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pagan View Post
    I've been threatening for years to get a federal grant to study this phenomenon and its cousins. The people that stop upon entering the doors and the people that stop just after getting off and escalator.
    Add in the people that will hit both the up and down buttons thinking it will bring an elevator faster. When the elevator comes and it's not going in the direction they want, they will let it go, then hit both call buttons again.

Or hold down the call button thinking it will make the elevator skip the other floors and come right to them.

Or not even hit the call buttons then bitch that it didn't stop at their floor.

Or people who will wait 5 minutes to go one up/down one floor when the stairs are right next to the elevator bank (note these are not handicapped people that could not do stairs)

(I saw all four situations at a location I was working at a few weeks ago)

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
      I'd have let them know that that should be careful not to hold the elevator door open, because it means no one else can use it. Because they didn't know this a heavily pregnant woman was having to walk down the stairs.

If they're going to act like complete idiots I will assume that is the case.
      I think I'd also have made a big deal of taking out my phone, taking their photo, then saying "just in case walking down the stairs sends her into premature labor and her insurance company insists on those responsible being held liable for the medical bills".

Not that I'm advocating yelling "I'll sue" at the drop of a hat, but sometimes, letting someone know that legally it's possible (even if improbable) that their actions could have legal repercussions just might send them a wake up call (I know, hardly likely, but one lives in hope).

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I've had customers do this and actually refuse to move for an elderly couple trying to escape the store. I ended up telling them that I'd refuse service if they didn't get out of the doorway.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
          I would have gotten on the elevator and gone back up a floor or two......
          Like the top. And hold the door for a while. Going up 8 flights of stairs is much harder then down.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            I've been threatening for years to get a federal grant to study this phenomenon and its cousins. The people that stop upon entering the doors and the people that stop just after getting off and escalator.
            Who the F*CK stops at the very top or bottom of a escalator!!!?? If someone dit that to me, i'm going to keep going.

Could you also get a grant to study why the janitors at my one of my old schools used to comeeder one of the elevators (the building had 3 elevators, 8 floors) for their personal use via the service key during the day. You cold complain and it would stop for a day or two. Supposedly one janitor left their entire key ring in inside the car and someone stole it, master key and all. Oops. The practice stopped after that.

Comment

i use to do volunteer work in a nursing home.... our elevator keys were so busted up... even my metal guitar pick worked as a key!

not that i abused it... i only used it when i needed to hold the doors open to move lots of stuff etc, or to help when they were moving residents

Comment

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
                Or people who will wait 5 minutes to go one up/down one floor when the stairs are right next to the elevator bank (note these are not handicapped people that could not do stairs)
                In a lot of buildings built in the US over the past 20-30 years one can only exit the stair well at the ground level. Doors to other floors from the stair well are locked for security reasons.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                  Like the top. And hold the door for a while. Going up 8 flights of stairs is much harder then down.
                  Only if you're in good shape. Going down is hell on joints.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    In a lot of buildings built in the US over the past 20-30 years one can only exit the stair well at the ground level. Doors to other floors from the stair well are locked for security reasons.
                    These were open, we used them alot while on site when we needed to go up and down, even more than one floor.

Comment

Working...
                    X