Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, quite a bit of updates, actually.

We finally received the proof of insurance for the house last week. It was through the Minnesota Fair Plan, which is a last-ditch service for homeowners who can't get insurance with any other company. It only covers the tax value of the building, which in this case is about $10,000 less than the amount of the loan. After talking it over with Goodhair and the new Branch Manager, we decided that was good enough. If Betty and her husband have a loss on the house (say it burns down or something), there's still plenty of value in the land to cover the difference.

I started the preliminary documents for the balloon renewal on the house. We still only have 2011 tax returns, so no proof of income, but they got us everything else we needed to renew the loan on the house. When I was gathering information about the house, I discovered that they have some sort of quarry on the southern end of their property. This is something we weren't aware of. So when BM went out to take pictures of the house for the loan file, he also took pictures of the quarry. It wasn't running when he was there, but there was equipment still on site. Goodhair thought it might be a sand quarry, and the piles of rocks around the edges were byproducts. So there should be some income from that, but we have no documentation of it.

We got Betty and her husband in last Thursday to go over the preliminary documents for the balloon renewal of their house loan. They were generally agreeable and seemed happy that we were renewing the loan. Neither seemed surprised when I told them their credit scores (both 600 or under, which is horrid). Even the husband, whose credit score had been over 800 (which is excellent) six months ago, didn't seem surprised or upset at his low credit score. Which means that they're aware of their credit situation.

BM sat in on the meeting. Once we were done with the loan documents, we went over the real estate taxes on the restaurant again. They didn't have a plan to pay them, other than the inheritance that Betty thinks she's getting from some relative, but she has no documentation that she's owed that money. Betty said that she wants to keep the restaurant, which is good. On Goodhair's suggestion, we offered to do a second mortgage on their home to pay the real estate taxes on the restaurant. There's plenty of value on the house, especially in the land, to cover another $9,000 to pay the real estate taxes on the restaurant through the end of 2015. Betty seemed to like the idea, but her husband was quiet. They said they'd talk it over.

Betty and her husband will be coming in Thursday or Friday to sign the final documents for the balloon renewal on their house. They're supposed to tell us then whether they want to do the additional loan. BM even suggested that, if Betty does get the inheritance, she could pay off the 2nd mortgage with it. Betty said she wanted to pay down the loans with the inheritance money, which would be a good thing both for her and for the bank.

But if they come in Thursday or Friday and say they don't want to do the 2nd mortgage, we'll have no choice but to foreclose based on the past due real estate taxes. We need to make sure we can foreclose before the county takes the restaurant tax forfeit. I feel sorry for Betty (a little), but we've worked with her as much as we can.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Chances

I can't believe the number of times you guys have given her chances to catch up, yet I bet when she does lose her place (and sooner or later she will) she will claim it is all the evil bank's fault.

Comment

• Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        ... I bet when she does lose her place (and sooner or later she will) she will claim it is all the evil bank's fault.
        I'm sure she will. She'll say something like we didn't work with her, like we did in the past. Even though we are working with her as much as we can.

I had to remind Goodhair last week that we have an SBA (Small Business Administration) guarantee on the restaurant, so if we have a loss on the restaurant loan, the SBA will pay us back about 75% of that loss. So we don't want to put the whole debt from the restaurant on the house. We just want to leave the restaurant loan alone, if we can.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Sounds like Betty's world is about to come crashing down...

Comment

• How much of that SBA guarantee will get intercepted by the IRS for the back with holdings?
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• The SBA guarantee goes to the bank if we suffer a loss on the loan. It doesn't go to the borrower at all, so there's no way for it to get intercepted by the IRS.
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                The SBA guarantee goes to the bank if we suffer a loss on the loan. It doesn't go to the borrower at all, so there's no way for it to get intercepted by the IRS.
                Meaning the IRS still comes after Betty and husband for back taxes?

Comment

• Quoth eltf177 View Post
                  Meaning the IRS still comes after Betty and husband for back taxes?
                  Apparently. But then, never underestimate the IRS's ingenuity in collecting back taxes.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                    But then, never underestimate the IRS's ingenuity in collecting back taxes.
                    Yes. I'm concerned that when we do the title work for the second mortgage, there will already be an IRS lien against the house for the back taxes that Betty owes them. But we'll see if Betty and husband even agree to do a second mortgage.
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

• If you put it on the IRS to get what's theirs...they will. I recall a revenge posting on reddit where a guy kept giving an employee loans on his salary for which customers never materialized, so he forgave them, which put the guy $20,000 in the hole to the US government...

...and the IRS never surrenders, and never gives up.
                      Last edited by Tama; 05-27-2015, 06:18 PM.
                      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

• Quoth Tama View Post
                        If you put it on the IRS to get what's theirs...they will. I recall a revenge posting on reddit where a guy kept giving an employee loans on his salary for which customers never materialized, so he forgave them, which put the guy $20,000 in the hole to the US government...

...and the IRS never surrenders, and never gives up.
                        As FIFA's leadership is finding out as we speak.

Comment

• Sigh. DH died in January, leaving 2013's taxes only partially paid, and a large amount to pay for 2014. He made 3/4 of the family income, so it's not like I had the ready just sitting around. I could file jointly, and have to cough up money, or file separately, get a refund on MY taxes, but then be liable for nearly twice the joint debt. I could walk away from the debt if I wanted, but sooner or later the IRS would attach the house, and then I'd be hosed. I broke down in the accountants office and howled. I was so angry and so hurt! DH also happened to leave certain items sitting around the house that I could sell, which I did, which managed to pay off the entire debt. That was the day I went home and took off my wedding band. I nearly threw it out the car window!

So now, I don't have a pot to piss in, but I also don't owe the Feds or the hospital! Dammit.

Comment

• I'm sorry for what you went through, Minflick.

The branch manager talked to Betty yesterday. She was wishy-washy about when she and her husband would be able to come in to sign the loan documents. Even though they'd agreed to come in today or tomorrow, now she's saying that she might not be able to make it in until next week. She has afternoons off, he's not working, and they have two vehicles. There's no excuse for them not to be able to come in.

BM also asked if they'd made a decision on the second mortgage, and Betty said that they were going to wait. BM was nice while he was on the phone, but when Betty and her husband come in, we'll have to tell them that that means we have to foreclose on the restaurant. We gave them one last option, and they refused. The only thing I can figure is that Betty really thinks she's going to get her inheritance soon. The thinking of a gambler.
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

• I wonder if the relative in question is even dead yet. And/or if she even has any idea what's in the estate and estate documents.

Comment

• I'm going to take her at her word that the relative in question actually died. However, she has already said that she doesn't have documentation that she's actually owed this money. It sounds like she heard about the inheritance from another relative who's also owed money from this estate. Supposedly, there's a trustee who works for the bank where the money is being held who's refusing to pay out any of the money, and the family has hired a lawyer to force the trustee to pay them their portions, to the tune of $72,000 each.

I take this all with a grain of salt of course. Well, more like a bucket of salt.
                                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                                X