This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Sick

Not too sick though. I caught a sore throat this week, but I was still brave enough to come into work today. Unfortunately, when you're sick, you're also extra pissy. I'm gonna keep it short, but this was my day in my head.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU ORDER THE FUCKING DRINK WITH YOUR FIRST ORDER!? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH TIME YOU'RE COSTING ME!?"

"YOU WANT TO MOVE TO A DIFFERENT FUCKING TABLE BECAUSE THERE'S TOO MUCH 'TRAFFIC' BEHIND YOU!?AND ON TOP OF THAT THE NEW TABLE IS A DIRTY TABLE! WOULDN'T YOU RATHER WANT A CLEAN TABLE!?"

I probably gave out a fair share of death glares today.

That was me between Thanksgiving and shortly before Christmas. I'm betting the cause was one of our lovely customers who doesn't believe in the flu shot...or it could have been someone with the flu and someone with a cold, I ended up with a weird not-quite-either malady. Damn thing hung on for almost a month. I have an excellent immune system, but when I do get sick I get extremely grumpy (and if I have to be doing something I get even worse).

When that happens I usually go into 'robot mode' with regard to SCO problems; fix it quickly, short explanation if they want to know what happened and do not get sucked into an argument. Although with a lot of people the latter equals rude of course.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I have noticed that I get cold/flu symptoms during my first show of the fall and it generally doesn't go away until my last show of the winter. And of course I have orders to work on, so I can't really rest and feel better until after Christmas.

I don't even want to get started on the parents who drop their sick kids off at the school and then get the staff sick. *sigh*
      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Believe me, I understand - I work in a cube farm. It's a plague factory. The entire place from October to May is a chorus of sneezing, coughing, throat-clearing, and phlegm. I just keep myself stocked up on tissues, tea, and sinus meds, and wash my hands a lot.
        Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
        They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Uh, it sounds like you are working food service. If that's the case, even with a "little sore throat" you should not be working. What may be minor to you might be a major issue for someone else - and just because you feel like you can tough it out does not mean you're not infectious.
          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
            If that's the case, even with a "little sore throat" you should not be working.
            Unfortunately, no paid sick days and no higher ups that give a damn means that not everyone in food service can get a day off or two for illness. I would go in sick when I worked a the Mart that the Waltons built and MW Repair.. because there was no such think as paid sick days and the doc requires money to see a person.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
              Unfortunately, no paid sick days and no higher ups that give a damn means that not everyone in food service can get a day off or two for illness. I would go in sick when I worked a the Mart that the Waltons built and MW Repair.. because there was no such think as paid sick days and the doc requires money to see a person.
              I used to see a lot of food service workers in the ER with colds and the like, seeking antibiotics which they didn't need. We'd offer them a work note and they'd turn it down for this reason: no paid sick time. No work no eat.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                I used to see a lot of food service workers in the ER with colds and the like, seeking antibiotics which they didn't need. We'd offer them a work note and they'd turn it down for this reason: no paid sick time. No work no eat.
                Sapphire I see this all the time at my pizza place and other places that I go to on a infrequent basis (including me New Year's Eve was hell for me).

No work no eat no rent no utilities, no food, etc.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Where I work, you're only allowed a certain amount of sick time off a year. If you go over your allotted time, you get a bollocking. Plus, and this is the kicker, you will only get your sick pay if a manager agrees that you're ill. Meaning that if you just phone in, unless you can produce a note from a doctor, you're SOL. Resulting in quite a few people, including myself, who come to work sick just so a manager can send us home later on... oh, and everyone in the sick person's vicinity catching the virus and perpetuating the cycle.

Yes, it sucks. But until the higher ups start treating each case as a separate case rather than just giving a blanket policy on everyone to prevent workers skiving, then I'm going to keep on coming to work sick just so I can get sent home and get my sick pay. There is no way on earth that I'm going to a doctor just for a bad cold or twenty four hour flu; hell, by the time I'd get an appointment, I'd probably be over it, anyway.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

I did have to call in sick one or two days...and they weren't put in the system as sick days. Apparently telling the MOD that you're sick while hacking up a lung on the phone isn't enough, if it doesn't have an ER/doc note no sick day for you.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I worked sick yesterday but I called in today and I have just enough personal hours to cover it. Rumor is we won't be able to do that after April and I don't know if I'll get sick hours this year or not. Anyway, I actually feel better today than I did yesterday but I just couldn't stand the thought of listening to customers say "well you look like you don't want to be here!" or "you look tired" and "I hope your day gets better" for another entire day
                      Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

At my job (hotel night and breakfast staff), if we want to call out sick, we have to arrange our own relief. If we can't, it's either come in or get fired for a no-show. And there's only one other person on the staff trained in my position and her schedule and mine overlap 3 nights a week so she -can't- cover me, and she has two kids and can't often get last-minute child-care. So in four years, I've successfully called out sick once.

Unpaid, of course.

Oh, and if I miss 4 days in a month, I lose my health insurance.

Comment

Where I work, we are often told we have to leave and we have a list of illnesses where we are not allowed to tough it out because the state mandates it. Right now, we are on another quarantine but surprisingly only 4 employees have gotten the flu also, but everyone else is walking around with the snuffles, or no voice, or the nagging dry cough. I was told the other day I should go home but once I used my inhaler the cough settled down so I stayed on, but we are paid from our accrued PTO time if we miss a day (my last job was no pay plus threats against employment for calling off a day..2 days in 13 years for me) but we do have some shirkers who just call off, including one who called off because she didn't want to get sick...she was written up.

Comment

Quoth TheHats View Post
                            At my job (hotel night and breakfast staff), if we want to call out sick, we have to arrange our own relief. If we can't, it's either come in or get fired for a no-show. And there's only one other person on the staff trained in my position and her schedule and mine overlap 3 nights a week so she -can't- cover me, and she has two kids and can't often get last-minute child-care. So in four years, I've successfully called out sick once.

Unpaid, of course.

Oh, and if I miss 4 days in a month, I lose my health insurance.
                            How is that even legal?

Comment

I am very fortunate in my job as we build sick days up each month, I have about 160 hours and we can have up to 960 hours built up. They do not require a doctor's note for every call out but if they feel you are abusing it then they will ask for one. Our management team would rather we call in sick then to spread the germs to those we support. (I work for an agency that supports individuals with disabilities) Germs run rampant in my job since many, if not most, people I support do not wash their hands after using the bathroom, never cover their mouths when coughing and spread germs like wildfire! In fact I was sick the whole month of February, I only missed two days of work due to high fever but I have been sick the whole time. I finally broke down and went to the doctor today (we have a residency clinic that is run by the hospital and takes payments) and was diagnosed with pneumonia and ear infection. I should have saved myself a month of misery and went in earlier...lesson learned!! I am now off work until March 7th. I am thankful for sick pay! I did ask for a note from the doctor because I am just paranoid like that, my bosses were very sympathetic and understanding, and letting me know that they cared and it would not be a problem covering my shifts, even at the last minute! Love that job!! I, of course, have come in and covered shifts at a moments notice, sometimes without any sleep so they are more than willing to help me out!!
                              Last edited by jnd4rusty; 03-05-2015, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X