Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have mentioned this before, but when my sister lived across the street from a liquor store, she said that the liquor store was the busiest store in town when snow was expected.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

THese people hoarding gold bullion and canned beans have it all wrong........... when the end comes, it's those who have the ability to make french toast (milk, bread, eggs) that are going to be masters of the new world order. (tm)
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I always get a sick satisfaction watching people freak out when they predict snow and then we end up getting NOTHING.

Comment

What's everyone's obsession with milk and bread when it snows? If you can't survive a winter "storm" that produces a few inches of snow without those two, I'm not sure how you survived in the first place. What's so special about those two? I drink almond milk and the expiration dates are always super long.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

It was always the same way on the Gulf Coast when a big storm was expected -- apparently, people think "Hey! We're probably gonna lose power! Let's go buy all the milk and ice cream we can fit in our car!"... Bread and meat, I can understand -- that's what barbecues are for; heck, smoke some meat so it will last longer without refrigeration...but perishables? Oy.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
              Since when did I live in Wisconsin? Irv, this is your fault.
              Quoth MoonCat View Post
              And they do that for 3-4 inches? What happens if they predict a foot and a half?
              Quoth Food Lady View Post
              Uh, in WI 3 to 4 inches is just a dusting.
              I may have mentioned it in another thread, but the severity of a snowstorm depends on where you are. Headline: 2 inches of snow in Duluth.

Duluth, MN: "This isn't worth shoveling - where did I put the broom?"

Duluth, GA: "New ice age! Snowmageddon! The End of the World as we Know It!"

The Sum of All Fears (Tom Clancy novel) touched on this. They had a few inches of snow in DC, and Jack Ryan jokingly told an assistant "If anyone gets in, it means they're KGB trained - shoot them!". Note that the assistant was from Maine - Jack had earlier asked him if things looked familiar. Also, someone for whom "AK" referred to their postal abbreviation rather than their issue rifle would also know how to deal with a bit of snow.

Quoth Food Lady
              I may have mentioned this before, but when my sister lived across the street from a liquor store, she said that the liquor store was the busiest store in town when snow was expected.
              Of course! With snow on the ground, you can't go to your still because the "revenooers" will be able to track you by your footprints, so you gotta settle for the store-bought hooch.
              Last edited by wolfie; 02-18-2015, 03:43 AM. Reason: Spotted one that was posted while I was posting
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

The French Toast Alert System seems relevant here.

Comment

PPPPFFFFFFFFSSSSTTTTT

MILK my behind

when we get snowmagedon (I mean snow like 12+ inches) here in Cheeseheadland who needs milk when you can just ring up your friendly neighborhood red roof pizza place and order buttloads of pizza and then bitch and complain from the comfort of your OWN NICE WARMHOME about how long it takes to actually for your order to arrive or at the very least bitch about the 90 minutes we are quoting for delivery time;. Then to top it off you are encouraged to make veiled disparaging remarks and false pattitiudes to the delivery driver whilst straight stiffing them.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

You think customers are sucky when they can't get their bread and milk - try dealing with them when they're in withdrawls and want their alcohol!!! Back to back multiple snowstorms have hit us in New England, and hence, we haven't gotten our delivery trucks on time (or sometimes not at all) so we have quickly run out of sale products. Cue foot stomping and caterwauling from the needy masses that its "UN-AMERICAN!!! UN-AMERICAN, I SAY!!!!!" to be out of their preferred brand of booze/wine.

And that doesn't even begin to touch the idiots who come out when there's a severe driving advisory, with the Talking Heads saying "Stay inside, you idiots its an ice rink out there!" Still you get the regulars who simply can NOT go a single day without their libation. I know it keeps me employed but DANG, is that bottle worth risking your life for?

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      when a big storm was expected -- apparently, people think "Hey! We're probably gonna lose power! Let's go buy all the milk and ice cream we can fit in our car!"
                      I wonder what would happen if their power went out. It would probably go something like this.

Customer: My power went out and the stuff in my fridge went bad! I want you to replace all of the items I lost since you let me buy this stuff knowing that there would be a storm and my power would go out! (slams down list on counter)
                      My Fanfic Page
                      My Fiction Page
                      My Social Group
                      My Pet Social Group
                      My You Tube Channel

Comment

bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU
                        "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                          What's everyone's obsession with milk and bread when it snows? If you can't survive a winter "storm" that produces a few inches of snow without those two, I'm not sure how you survived in the first place. What's so special about those two? I drink almond milk and the expiration dates are always super long.
                          I have a couple cans of powdered whole milk, and generally keep a couple quarts of shelfstable milk on hand. I think between both cans of powdered milk I can make like 5 gallons of liquid cooking milk [I detest drinking any form of powdered milk or shelfstable milk, but it is OK for cooking.]
                          Quoth wolfie View Post
                          Duluth, MN: "This isn't worth shoveling - where did I put the broom?"

Duluth, GA: "New ice age! Snowmageddon! The End of the World as we Know It!"

The Sum of All Fears (Tom Clancy novel) touched on this. They had a few inches of snow in DC, and Jack Ryan jokingly told an assistant "If anyone gets in, it means they're KGB trained - shoot them!". Note that the assistant was from Maine - Jack had earlier asked him if things looked familiar. Also, someone for whom "AK" referred to their postal abbreviation rather than their issue rifle would also know how to deal with a bit of snow.
                          *snicker* I grew up in lovely southern tier Western NY state - the great arctic tundra winds blowing south over the Great Lakes regularly dumped *feet* of snow in the 60s and 70s, not inches. My brother and I used to sled out of the third floor attic windows, and hollow out that snowbank as a play fort. It would start snowing as early as Halloween [generally by mid November] and not melt until late April/early May. I wear the same blue windbreaker 3 seasons here and generally sneakers. I keep a pumpkin suit with moonboots in the car in case of accident but don't really consider Connecticut to have anything close to winter. I have been known to go out for the mail in tshirt, shorts and bare feet with anything up to a couple feet of snow on the ground.
                          Quoth Argus View Post
                          The French Toast Alert System seems relevant here.
                          ROFLMAO, I have got to show this to Rob!

Our go to blizzard food has generally been a good solid batch of minestrone, typically made with my camping vegan/kosher setup [I have a 2.5 gallon stock pot, cutting board, ladle and chef's knife that are kept vegan/kosher on purpose. I only make my vegan minestrone in it on purpose - everybody who is not allergic to the ingredients can eat it with impunity. I keep the cans of whole tomatoes, bags o dried multibean soup, can of italian seasoning, can of garlic granules, can of dehydrated onions and boxes of dentili pasta on hand and rotate them out every 6 months. I have found very few people who didn't actually like it - though I will use fresh onions, garlic and tomatoes in season or if I have them.] It makes great on the wood stove, and can sit and simmer away for hours, or even days. I think the longest I have had a pot on the stove constantly was something like a full week, we just kept adding ingredients as we ate it.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                            What do you mean you're out of milk? You go to the back and get those cows you keep there to do their job.
                            The skinniest one gives the skim milk.

The fattest one gives the full cream.

The brown cow gives chocolate milk.

The pink one gives strawberry.

The yellow cow gives banana milk.

The cow with almond-shaped eyes gives almond milk.

The Japanese cow gives soy milk.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                              It's a joke (a true one) around here that every time it snows, everyone runs out and buys all the milk and bread. Even if you do get snowed in, what are you going to do all that time? Make french toast? I'm buying the extra-large box of pizza rolls.
                              Happens over here, too. The last time we had serious snow was about four or five years ago. I wasn't living in town then so was unable to get into work due to my only method of transport being my motorbike; the buses and trains weren't running. I also refuse to fork over £50 on taxis to get to work cuz it's not that important and people aren't going to die if they don't get to fill up their cars on the day they can't go nowhere.

According to my colleagues who did manage to get in, and who told me afterwards, the petrol station was jam packed with customers who snaffled up all the bread and milk in seconds. Even tho my manager had made it so that only a maximum of two loaves and two bottles of milk could be sold to any one customer, the milk and bread was gone in an hour, along with all the deicer, all the screenwash and a good chunk of everything edible sold. There were people screaming and swearing when they got there and found that there was no milk or bread left and one customer even burst into tears.
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

I live in NJ, where it does snow, sometimes more than others, and we see the same thing. It just cracks me up that people go bananas over not having enough milk and bread. I know for me, the power goes out, i am SOL since my stove is electric, and i live in an apt, so no grill or anything else like that. But I somehow manage. Thankfully, the power doesn't go out often, but I usually have enough stuff on hand so I won't starve. and milk and bread is the last thing I want. Give me some nice hot, mac and cheese, or soup, or something like that. People are just stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X