This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth pitmonkey View Post
    bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk bread and milk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zaVYWLTkU
    BreadAndMilk AndBreadAndMilk AndBreadAndMilk AndBreadAndMilk AndBreadedMilk...
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

As I mentioned in some other thread long ago the mere _mention_ of snow here in Northern VA and people go absolutely insane. The grocery stores get mobbed and quickly run out of:

1) Milk
      2) Bread
      3) Eggs
      4) Bottled Water
      5) Any Snow Shovels, Kitty Litter and Salt they happen to have
      6) Toilet Paper

Hey, the first four require the sixth!

Seriously, if you lose power cooking is going to be a problem...

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
        when my sister lived across the street from a liquor store, she said that the liquor store was the busiest store in town when snow was expected.
        Sounds sensible to me. FWIW, when a blizzard was predicted, Mrs. TGK made sure we had plenty of spilt peas and chicken stock.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          There were people screaming and swearing when they got there and found that there was no milk or bread left and one customer even burst into tears.
          "Creamed eels? Wadded beef? Corn Nog...?"

Comment

Living in the back end of nowhere in the mountains when I was younger, we used to stock up for bad weather, mostly dry and canned goods, rice, canned tomatoes, that kind of thing.

Later I worked in the supermarket in town and was bewildered by the ravening mobs that would show up at the first flake of snow or drop of rain. All of the fresh milk, eggs, bread, bottled water, fresh meats and fish. But none of the sensible stuff, milk powder or ultra long life milk, canned meats and fish, canned veggies, pulses, grains and other low-perishability items, we simply couldn't give them away!

God forbid anything truly serious happened, most of that lot wouldn't have made it past a couple of days when all of their food went bad!

People make no sense.

Comment

Of course perishables are the first things to fly off the shelf because they are perishable. But people don't know that it's the shelf-stable stuff that they need to survive long-term.

Maybe they don't want to stuff their faces with (gasp!) preservatives!
              Last edited by cindybubbles; 02-18-2015, 06:45 PM.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I would assume that a lot people aren't thinking in terms of losing power when they go to grocery stores just before big storms; I think they're probably just thinking in terms of not having to go out for a few days. (At least, that's my reasoning for going grocery shopping right before a storm.) However, since we're talking a few days, not a few weeks, that doesn't mean stockpiling for the apocalypse.

Comment

We're strange here then. Whenever we get the possibility of a storm going through, we don't do this. And this is the land of people freaking out when we get a 10-foot rain (as in, you have to go 10 feet between rain drops). I guess we figure if we have enough chile in the freezer, we're good.

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                  and i live in an apt, so no grill or anything else like that.
                  You might want to check that out. I live in an apartment and I have a propane grill. There's no city ordinance against it and nothing in the lease. It has come in handy when the power gets knocked out around dinnertime in the summer. I can cook dinner on that while enjoying a glass of wine and watching it rain.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                    I live in an apt, so no grill or anything else like that.
                    Quoth Pagan View Post
                    You might want to check that out. I live in an apartment and I have a propane grill. There's no city ordinance against it and nothing in the lease.
                    There may be something that's not obvious. For example, in Ontario, in a multi-unit residential building every unit on the same floor as, and on the 3 floors above, a fuel-burning appliance is required by provincial law to have a carbon monoxide detector. For my building (heating and hot water boilers in the basement) that means that floors 1-3 (no units in basement) must have the detectors (I believe the Corporation has to supply them, since the fuel-burning appliances are corporation-owned) but floors 4 and up (I'm in that group) don't.

If someone were to get a barbecue (prohibited by the building's rules), everyone on at least one floor (first floor would put 4th into the range, law doesn't say anything about floors BELOW a fuel-burning appliance, so top floor would only put itself into the range) would be legally required to get a detector. Can you imagine the outrage from someone being fined for not having a detector that they were required to get because someone on the other side of the building a couple floors down decided to bring in a barbecue that the building rules said they weren't allowed to have?
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

At least in California, current code (sayeth my electrician trainee DH) requires that every rental unit have both smoke and CO detectors.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

The really stupid thing about stocking up with milk and bread where I live? Firstly, I live in England, not Alaska. Second, there are at least twelve shops in the town where you can buy food. And finally, snow round here only ever lasts five days at most; even if you can't drive, most people have these two appendages below the waist which are called "legs" and you can use them to walk on if you can't get your car out.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

The mass panic and hysteria is starting to get on my nerves. Can't go to the store like a normal person anymore because of the weather guys gloom and doom forecasts, that are usually wrong (called for 8" snow got 1/2", called for a dusting, had blizzard like whiteouts for 3 hours and got 5"!!). I would send these people to the powdered milk aisle and tell them it is the new Do It Yourself milk

Comment

Or be like my area and a single snowflake is considered a blizzard so schools HAVE to close for the day. I just sit back, roll my eyes, and try not to give any hints of snarkiness.
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                              Or be like my area and a single snowflake is considered a blizzard so schools HAVE to close for the day. I just sit back, roll my eyes, and try not to give any hints of snarkiness.
                              That's what it's like when it rains here in Phoenix.....listening to weather reports, you'd think we were getting a major hurricane or something.

Comment

Prescott area here. Oh the panic! Disaster will strike, everyone will be snowed in for weeks, children will starve, the elderly will freeze and everyone else will die of frost bite if they so much as walk to their mailbox. But, the mail sure better be delivered on time because all the carriers are weatherproof droids with tucks that can drive through anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X