This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good, the bad and the WTF??

As some of you know, I work for the "Green" drugstore. We are not a 24 hour store, we close at 10pm. This will be important in the 'bad' customer stories to follow.

As I'm sure EVERYONE who isn't living under a rock knows, most of the country is under severe winter weather. I am in North Carolina, and while we don't have it nearly as bad as those further north, it's been pretty cold. For example, right now, the temperature is 16 F, with 30 mph winds, for a wind chill of 3. This was predicted AND reported for several days prior to today. All the news channels discussed it, the school systems have closed down (either for snow or extreme ice/sleet). There is no way someone living here could not have heard about this prior to this evening! So, on to the stories:

1. The Good. I got a call from a woman who wanted to know if we had heating pads that did NOT have an auto-shutoff option. I checked and we didn't, but we did have some with timers, with 6 hours being the longest. I explained that this was due to previous lawsuits in the country where people had left heating pads on all night and gotten burned. She explained that what she wanted it for was that her neighbors "neglect" (her word) their dog and she wanted to put a heating pad in his doghouse for tonight. Well, I about fell all over myself trying to come up with a solution for her. She could: give a whole heck of a lot of blankets, or she could get one of the heating pads with a 6 hour time limit - start it at midnight and that would get him through the coldest part of the night, or she could try to take him herself/call animal services. She felt that she couldn't take him nor call animal services, and she had already given him blankets, so she would get the heating pad with the 6 hour time limit. She did not even flinch when I told her it was $41.99. What a wonderful person to do that for an animal!

2. The Bad. Remember before when I mentioned that the news of this cold snap had been talked about for days and days? Remember how I also said that we close at 10? Well, you guessed it. Several people came in between 9 and 10pm wanting electric blankets or space heaters. Guess what? We sold out of those way earlier today. OMG you would have thought I had told them they were getting audited by the IRS! "What am I supposed to do???? Walmart is out TOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Say it with me kids .... failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

3. The WTF?? While the manager and I were counting out the tills tonight in preparation for closing, our cashier called and said that a man had just exposed himself to her. Well, she's not totally naive, but she's only 20, so it was pretty upsetting to her. At that point, she said he had left the store. So, we ran back the camera tapes. Here's what we discovered.

He had come in with 2 other people, who proceeded to wander around the store for a bit while he hung out around the register. Those people then distracted the cashier by asking her questions about products that turned her away from where the man was standing. He then unzipped his fly (you could clearly see it on the tape) and proceeded to pick up those little "last-minute" items that are by every register (gum, candy bars, small vials of aspirin, etc.) He then stuck them IN his fly - we assumed that there was a bag in there or something, because none fell out of his pants. His cohorts then came up to the register and bought some DayQuil and they all headed out of the store. But before he actually left, you could clearly see him, on the tape, zipping his fly back up.

Now I will give the trio points for a successful theft operation, but geez .... it's almost closing time and there are NO other customers in the store. It's pretty obvious who is doing the stealing! On the other hand, this trio has landed themselves in the "dumb criminal" category because, when they bought the DayQuil, they used their rewards card!!! Yep, the one you have to give us your name, address, and telephone number to get. BAM! Hope you enjoy your stay in our lovely county facilities

Wow, this turned out long, sorry. But I just had to share

Double prosecution for the trio. Even if the one gets off of the "public nudity" part, the Judge may still sentence all three harsher. (I hope)

I never liked electric blankets. I much prefer the weight of 3 or 4 heavy blankets. I find them more comfortable.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
      Double prosecution for the trio. Even if the one gets off of the "public nudity" part, the Judge may still sentence all three harsher. (I hope)

I never liked electric blankets. I much prefer the weight of 3 or 4 heavy blankets. I find them more comfortable.
      Heated mattress pad FTW - heat rises. Top it with a nice heavy comforter and you have a toasty warm cave. We have the IKEA snap together 2 part comforter, both parts for serious cold, heavy half for moderate cold, lighter half for less cold. I like the weight of both comforters, it is an autism and pain control thing. I will even occasionally pile spare pillows on top of me for more weight.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I want to meet that woman and give her a huge hug. Reading what she did made my heart melt! <3

Comment

I have a microwave heat pack that I use a million times a day for my back and for when I am cold. I usually put it by my feet at night, and then pile on blankets. At my old house I would seriously have eight or nine inches of covers, plus pillows all around me underneath them. I nest. I also turned the heat down to 56 at night.

Now I'm at my parents' house, and they keep the heat up, so I don't need nearly as much. But i still LIKE a lot of heavy covers. They make me cozy. It's hardest for me to sleep in the summer when the air's not on, because I can't nest as much.

The saddest thing about the dog lady is that in some places, she could have called animal control and they couldn't do anything, because the dog has a doghouse. I will never fathom why people want dogs but don't want them in the house.
          My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
            He had come in with 2 other people, who proceeded to wander around the store for a bit while he hung out around the register.
            He came in at the same time, but are you sure all three were together?

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
            Now I will give the trio points for a successful theft operation, but geez .... it's almost closing time and there are NO other customers in the store. It's pretty obvious who is doing the stealing! On the other hand, this trio has landed themselves in the "dumb criminal" category because, when they bought the DayQuil, they used their rewards card!!! Yep, the one you have to give us your name, address, and telephone number to get. BAM! Hope you enjoy your stay in our lovely county facilities
            As we like to say here - there's fail, epic fail and WEAPON GRADE FAIL! Guess which level these geniuses are at?

Comment

Horray to woman #1 for being so awesome, but I can't help but be furious with those assholes for doing that to a defenseless animal. I know some people are simply that dumb and think that the dog's fur will give it the protection it needs and that may be true for milder temps, but once it dips down below freezing, even Huskies and the like can't live out in it. Don't get a dog if you aren't prepared for the responsibility that goes with it.
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Awwww, Woman #1 makes me regain just a little bit of faith in the human race again. What a sweetheart.
                Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                What's the difference?
                We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Poor doggy

What a nice woman to care. For future reference, heating pads for humans aren't meant for outside use. They don't play well with water.

I bought a pet heating pad which is meant for outdoor use. (One of my more expensive hobbies is to care for the local feral cats.) It never shuts off. It doesn't get as hot as a human heating pad so there is no danger of the pet getting burnt. They can be found at most pet stores and at many feed and grain stores. If I really needed a heating pad because of a snowapocalypse and all the human ones were sold out, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pet heating pad for my bed.

They are pretty pricey as well. I bought mine 4 years ago and it was over $30 during a clearance sale.

Comment

Good: There's a place in heaven waiting for that lady.

Bad: Don't you wonder sometimes how these people survive to adulthood?

WTF: Karma's a bitch, and she's about to bitch-slap these guys.

Comment

When I worked at Walmart in Ohio we had a guy showed up in a trench coat. He wet to jewelry and flashed the older lady working there and then ran up the clothing area and flashed one of the customers all the while they were calling for the managers and AP. Buy the time management got to him he got to the shoes and flashed the guy working there.
                      Management tackled him and held him till the police came in and arrested him.
                      Talk about interesting....

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                        He came in at the same time, but are you sure all three were together?

We weren't sure at first, but while watching the tape, they interacted with each other and the "fly guy" let them use his rewards card. Even then, we weren't sure, but when they left, they all got into the same car, so yeah.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                          We weren't sure at first, but while watching the tape, they interacted with each other and the "fly guy" let them use his rewards card. Even then, we weren't sure, but when they left, they all got into the same car, so yeah.
                          So the Rewards Card is going to lead the Police straight to them. ROFL!!!!

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                            Also, if the power goes out, the electric blanket isn't a lot of help.

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
                              I will never fathom why people want dogs but don't want them in the house.
                              Growing up, we always had dogs and they only came inside when it was cold outside. We seriously adored them, and the companionship, but they also had another purpose. They kept away all the critters (deer, raccoon, coyotes, etc) and protected our other animals. They were perfectly happy to be outside. They had shelter, and like I said, the few times it was cold they did sleep inside. Not having an "indoor" dog doesn't mean we don't take care of them and love them.

And it never fails to amaze me how unprepared people are. Over here, we've been having an unseasonably warm winter but we've been hearing the reports for the rest of the country non stop. Just seems like willful ignorance at this point.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                              X