This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What time is checkout?

This dude just came to the desk at 6am and asked me what time was checkout?

When I answered it was 11am he responded with this nugget of wisdom:

I checked in last night at 7pm - you mean it is not a 24 hour policy?

What hotel has ever ever had a 24 from checkin policy?

Another dude asked me for a late checkout and I gave him an extra hour. He seemed mildly upset due to the fact he had a 7pm plane to catch. How late did he figure we would let him stay without charging him?

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Sometimes common sense is not so common. Should have contacted them earlier and seen about getting a late checkout. While he would not have been allowed to check out THAT late, depending on how busy they were and what time their cleaning crew passed through, they might have been willing to let him check out early or mid afternoon (I think the latest I was ever allowed to check out of a place I was staying was at 3pm, which was during one of their quiet periods, they just got the cleaning crew to do my room last. Very nice of them )
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I had the opposite experience yesterday. My flight landed at six AM, and I really was going to try to make it to the regular check in time at 4PM, but I was insanely exhausted. I called and the front desk lady was awesome and got me in before noon. I promptly fell asleep for six hours.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

When I worked at the motel I had a lady wanting like 5 rooms for her guys from 8am to 5pm. This was during peak season so I was pretty much guaranteed to sell out the night before and we had a noon checkout, so the only way to guarantee a 8am check-in would be to reserve and pay for those rooms for the night before. And since housekeeping left before 5pm and those rooms would be left unrentable, she'd also have to pay the day of as well. She was not happy and didn't understand why she'd have to pay for two nights essentially to guarantee the rooms for those hours.

If it were slower I could accommodate, but it was busy enough that I was going to fill those rooms and collect the revenue on them for both nights regardless of if she rented them or not. She did not rent with us. Dunno if she ever did find a magical place that would give her those hours or not during that time of year.

As an aside, I just loveit when people want to pay extra for a guaranteed early check-in. It's not about the money; it's about how soon the previous guest checks out and how soon housekeeping can clean the room. No amount of "extra" can change that, unless you want to rent out the room the previous night to ensure it will be available, anyway (and most people don't).
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth figgyx View Post
          a few in las vegas actually. or at least they did when I was there.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth figgyx View Post
            No place where I've ever stayed. 10, 11 or high noon seem to be the standards.
            Quoth figgyx View Post
            Another dude asked me for a late checkout and I gave him an extra hour. He seemed mildly upset due to the fact he had a 7pm plane to catch.
            Just check your bags as soon as the airline will allow and find something to do 'til boarding. Common sense: fast becoming a superpower
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth figgyx View Post

Another dude asked me for a late checkout and I gave him an extra hour. He seemed mildly upset due to the fact he had a 7pm plane to catch. How late did he figure we would let him stay without charging him?
              I will gladly hold bags for a guest after checkout if they want to go out for lunch or watch TV n the bar or go for a walk or the movies or whatever. Just gotta get out of the room itself so we can clean it for the next person!
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I've heard of a few places that charge by the hour...

The few times I've got to a hotel before check-in, I just ask to pop my bags into storage until check in time, and on nearly all occasions, they check me in straight away. The one time they couldn't check me in early, they already had our bags in our room.
                Last edited by brucetiki; 02-21-2015, 11:22 AM.
                the end of an era is not the completion of a destiny. Momentum comes when we believe the best for the future, we keep speaking life into the future, and we commit to the future - Brian Houston

Comment

I get SC's all the time like in the OP who seem to think that because they check in at 12am midnight, that they should still get the room for a full 24 hours. Doesn't work that way.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Here's what I do when I have to check out by noon, but my flight doesn't leave for much later- I get the hotel to check my bags (they will do this for free or a small fee), then go find something to do until it's time to take a cab to the airport. It lets me get more sightseeing in, yay!

Comment

That is one of the reasons we didn't get a hotel room for the concert 2 weeks ago. We weren't coming into town until 7, show was at 10 30, he played til 2 am and the check out was at 11. Had no desire to part with an extra $200 for 9 hours.

Comment

Quoth brucetiki View Post
                        I've heard of a few places that charge by the hour...
                        Am I bad that this was the first response I thought of and skimmed all the posts to see if anyone else thought it, too?
                        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Happens to us all the time. It never stops surprising me how people think they have a room for 24 hours. No hotel in the world is like that. If he's ever stayed in a hotel before, even as a child, he'd know that.

Comment

24 hour hotels are becoming a thing. But it's a *new* thing, so it doesn't justify people acting like it's normal, because it's definitely not. I'd never heard of it, I think it's a neat idea however I don't know how the logistics of it would work from the hotel side.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                              24 hour hotels are becoming a thing. But it's a *new* thing, so it doesn't justify people acting like it's normal, because it's definitely not. I'd never heard of it, I think it's a neat idea however I don't know how the logistics of it would work from the hotel side.
                              I think it would depend on where it is. Somewhere like an airport it would work great. Somewhere in the suburbs, probably not so.
                              the end of an era is not the completion of a destiny. Momentum comes when we believe the best for the future, we keep speaking life into the future, and we commit to the future - Brian Houston

Comment

Working...
                              X