This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She messed me up

The title was a direct quote from a sucky customer I had to deal with tonight. It is kind of long.

So the main players were Me, Funny Shift, and Coupon Abuser. Also in the store were Cool Lady and her new friend Sidekick.

The story had been going crazy all day as I am in the path of winter storm that's heading across the U.S.

Cool Lady and Sidekick had come in around the same time as Coupon Abuser and they were stocking up on some pretty good sales. I'd chit chat with Cool Lady to check on how she was doing(she was just diagnosed with cancer and had surgery). Coupon Abuser hits the counter and I start her first transaction. She whips out her coupons and I see a couple I know we won't be able to use.

Basically certain coupons were working on any item in the P and G family, at first we were told if they scanned to take them. Then people started to abuse it getting hundreds of dollars worth a stuff and using the wrong coupons. So my manager and the dm shut it down. If they didn't get the item they can't use the coupon.

Me:"I'm sorry Ma'am, we can't use those."

Cool Lady and Sidekick wander by to listen in.

CA:"What? Why not?"

Me:"You didn't buy the item listed so I can't use them."

Funny Shift appears from the office.

CA:"Well I was just in here two days ago and a girl told me I could." (Probably another customer who hadn't been told no yet if they existed at all)

Me:"I'm sorry Ma'am, corporate said we couldn't use the coupons unless the item was in the transaction."

CA:*leaves her stuff scattered all over our counter huffing and puffing to herself and her audience* Well you're the first person to ever tell me that. I can't believe you won't let me use them. I'll just have to start going across the street again. I like their policy better."(Our main rival is literally across the street)

She pulls it together and checks out, still saving a ton with coupons she could use.

Cool Lady:"Was she blaming you? What crawled up her butt? I mean she still got a good deal."

I explain it to her and she just shakes her head.

Cool Lady:"Some people's children."

And then I got the giggles.

Who the hell takes a coupon if you didn't buy the product? WTF??

Sometimes I feel like someone switched planets on me while I was sleeping.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      Who the hell takes a coupon if you didn't buy the product? WTF??
      Sadly, plenty of people. I still remember the times that SCs tried to use milk tokens (viable for liquid milk, formula, fruit and vegetables) to buy anything from beer to prime steak.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

MoonCat - Someone who's used to getting her way even when she knows she's wrong, often through intimidation...which it sounds like this one was attempting.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It honestly was just irritating but I think she was trying to intimidate. She waited until nearly close and then made a lot of noise. But we got an email from the DM about cracking down on it just a couple of days ago.

Comment

Not a cashier, but I do know this is a problem with P&G coupons. Their coupons will scan for any of their products, even if the customer isn't buying the item listed on the coupon.

Then you have scammers screaming "YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE COUPON IF IT SCANS!!!!!ELEVEN!ONEONE" and stores that do so because customer satisfaction.

I would say "if the company wants to lose money, who am I to stop them?", but that comes out my wages and benefits. So really P&G needs to get off their ass and fix this.

And don't get me started on the wonderful wonderful people who buy tons of stuff with coupons and then return it all.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My Brother used to work at the mart of walls as CSS. People would constantly do this with the coupons and buy hundreds of dollars of stuff (usually cosmetics) then return them the next day unopened. The system would refund the full price of the product (NOT the discounted coupon price!). When the system was finally corrected they let the abusers (Same few people) carry on so that they got the shock the next day

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Not a cashier, but I do know this is a problem with P&G coupons. Their coupons will scan for any of their products, even if the customer isn't buying the item listed on the coupon.
                Could this be intentional, so that P&G can refuse redemption (by the retailer) of coupons used on the "wrong" product, transferring the cost of the manufacturer's coupons from P&G (the manufacturer) to the retailers who accept coupons from scammers?
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth ML2000 View Post
                  My Brother used to work at the mart of walls as CSS. People would constantly do this with the coupons and buy hundreds of dollars of stuff (usually cosmetics) then return them the next day unopened. The system would refund the full price of the product (NOT the discounted coupon price!). When the system was finally corrected they let the abusers (Same few people) carry on so that they got the shock the next day
                  Don't know what you mean by "the system was corrected," but anything bought with a coupon and then returned has to be refunded at full retail, not just what the customer paid. This is because the store is being reimbursed the value of the coupon by the manufacturer. Keeping that amount from the customer is double-dipping.

That's why people do this. They know they have to be given full retail back. The store probably doesn't care too much because the manufacturer is taking the loss. However, they are out the time spent processing the return and re-shelving the merchandise, unless it can't be resold if returned.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Most of the people using the P and G coupon are keeping the stuff...well ok one guy we were pretty sure was a reseller but our system does take coupons out of your total if you return with a receipt. So most people know not to bother trying to pull anything at returns.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      And don't get me started on the wonderful wonderful people who buy tons of stuff with coupons and then return it all.
                      At my store, if you buy something with a coupon and return it with a receipt, you'll get exactly the price you paid; that is, the original price minus the coupon discount. (Return it without receipt, you get the refund at the lowest price the item was on sale for, usually half price, on a merchandise return card.) Yes, that ticks a lot of customers off (we get a lot of people saying "Can I have my coupon back then?" Nope, sorry, the coupon was torn up and thrown away and has probably expired by now.), but it has cut down a little on scammers and we don't end up out a lot of money.

Mind you, the only coupons we get are store coupons. Manufacturer coupons for items we sell are extremely rare; I've yet to see any.
                      Last edited by XCashier; 03-10-2015, 02:11 PM.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                      X