This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No rock left unchewed

Maybe minor instances of SC idiocy, but they're going to keep annoying me until I post, I think. Today featured two calls that were strong contenders for the title of "most idiotic caller I've ever endured".

Background: I work at a call center contracted to a major financial institution. My specific assignment is prepaid debit cards issued by, among others, government agencies as a way to pay benefits to their clientele. Standard in my call opening, after security authentication, is to confirm that a listed phone number is still valid and update if it is not. If there is not a listed phone number, ask to add it. This is optional for the customer. If the caller declines, OK, fine, move on to "how may I help you today?"

Granite Gnawer #1: Was attempting to call another major financial institution. NBD, wrong numbers happen. Nicely explained who she had actually called. She continued to demand that I deal with her account. She actually got angry because I had the nerve to state that I could not possibly access account info for a competitor.

Granite Gnawer #2: Declines to list phone number, needs new card. NBD, card replacement is roughly half my calls in a day, very routine. Turns out the address on file will be obsolete in a week. I cannot edit the address for accounts under the agency in question, between authorization and what my system will actually allow. The 7-10 business day timeframe for mail is not acceptable to the caller. I am not able to send the card express, due to her not having funds in the account to pay the express fee, and my having no grounds to even ask a sup to approve a waiver of said fee. Having to deal with contacting the issuing agency and wait 24-48 hours for the address update so the card can be sent with any expectation of it reaching her is also unreasonable, sayeth Her Majesty. Caller then demands that she be called back when her address update processes, since it's apparently unreasonable to expect her to keep tabs on her own account. Two problems with this demand: we don't have the time or personnel to spare her the trouble of taking care of her own account, and her prior refusal to provide a phone number in the first place.

Work in a call center long enough and it will very effectively kill any faith you had that humans qualify as intelligent life.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Just remember a mantra that has served me well for many years:

"They're not humans; they're just customers."
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
      Work in a call center long enough and it will very effectively kill any faith you had that humans qualify as intelligent life.
      I didn't even have to work in a call center for that to happen to me. One Christmas season in retail was enough. And the six months I spent working for the Kansas Legislature . . .

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
        Mrs. IA once volunteered to call people about an issue. The long enough time period for her was about three hours.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoted for truth.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Quoted for truth.
            I'm grateful that my call center doesn't deal with the general public, but at the same time, I frequently think to myself, "You cannot possibly not know how to do this..."

Fortunately, my faith in humanity's collective intelligence was shattered after years of retail work.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Another granite-gnawer for the collection: the guy who wanted to file a dispute on two transactions from April.

Of 2016.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

And yet another recent one. She'd had a service performed more than once that carried an associated fee. Processing this service requires documenting the customer's consent to this fee.

She was demanding that said fee be refunded, claiming she'd never even known about it.

Said services were performed in 2014.

Comment

Around here Seanette we call that Customer Standard Time.

I also work at a call center (for a wireless provider) and get that crap all the time too.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Today was delightful. These two don't actually qualify as rock-chewers, but as not inhabiting a reasonable reality.

#1 decided receiving money from a government agency had been some form of scam against him. These payments occurred at the start of 2016.

#2 decided that a government agency not making the payments he thought were due him meant my employer, and I personally, are stealing from him, and he made some mildly threatening remarks on the subject. My response was to remind him he was being recorded, wish him a nice day (while my brain was trying to come up with nastier things to step on than Legos), and release the call.
                    Last edited by Seanette; 09-24-2017, 07:11 AM. Reason: Normally, I can spell, but I'm very tired.

Comment

This one has me just shaking my head. Adult male, helping his mother deal with online access. I actually had to explain to him how the Shift key works and how that differs from the Caps Lock key.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        This one has me just shaking my head. Adult male, helping his mother deal with online access. I actually had to explain to him how the Shift key works and how that differs from the Caps Lock key.
                        I can beat this. Second year in an IT program. A guy was using caps lock instead of shift. The teacher asks why, the guy says to capitalize a letter. The teacher explains caps lock vs shift. The guy was super excited about this information and didn't realize how basic it was and he was asking the students sitting near him "did you know the shift key will capitalize one letter!" stuff like that. It hurt. I could understand if it was someone very VERY unfamiliar with keyboards, maybe a kid who has only used tablets and smartphones or something. But not a person in the second year of an IT program.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                          nastier things to step on than Legos
                          The plug at the end of a power cable, lying with prongs upwards.
                          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                            ...(while my brain was trying to come up with nastier things to step on than Legos), and release the call.
                            I'm thinking cat barf. That stuff is a pretty vile substance, especially when you find it first thing in the morning

But seriously, I work for a brokerage. Every now and then we get people wanting to cancel or adjust trades. Most of the time, it's not a problem--either something got screwed up the day before, or even same-day. No big deal, either correct it (same day), or send a wire to the main office. Either way, it's not an issue.

But then there's one vendor, that I hate to deal with. These assclowns are legendary for some of their requests. Not long ago, they wanted us to adjust a trade that had occurred over a year ago. Naturally, they were pissed when I said that I couldn't do it. Never mind that all data on my system gets archived (cleared) after 6 months and is inaccessible to me. Never mind that they had 3 days (the usual settlement period) to not only make up their minds but to make sure that their client had the required funds to actually purchase the item. Never mind that they'd sold us the item, and we'd sold it on a freaking year ago, and I'm sure it was sold on multiple times to other people since then. Yeah, I'll get right on that

At least I didn't have to actually do it. My boss told them to go screw themselves. If it had been a same-day item, or even next day, he'd have been willing to help them out. But a year later? Screw that.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I worked for the Borough Council once-we sent out a questionnaire about facilities in the town and services.At the end was the terrifying question 'Do you have any suggestions as to how we can improve our services'?The answers we received....

My favourite was the guy who complained... 'I put in a complaint about the state of the footpath by my garden 25 years ago.I have not received any reply since...' Perhaps the guy investigating had only just managed to make his way out????
                              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                              X