X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Desk Diaries; Bogan-ella

Let the Easter posts begin.
    Oh the pettiness in this hurt.

A bogan is the Australian equivalent of trailer trash in America. They're stupid, think they know better than you and are aggressive with or without provocation.

I just got off a shift with a lady I shall dub Bogan-ella.

3:00
    Bogan-ella comes in asking if she can get Netflix on our TVs coz she wanted to log into her account.

Me: No sorry, we don't have smart TVs. (We're a motel for Christ's sake).
    B.E.: No set box or anything?
    Me: No.
    B.E.: How do you people survive down here?
    [Two second pause, including me blinking in disbelief]
    Me: We do have the local channels and some cable channels.
    B.E.: Well do you have a music channel.
    Me: Yes. Just flip to the channel number on your room's guide.

She left somewhat satisfied, but this really left my head scratching. She and her partner were checked in before I arrived so I presumed they had a WiFi password. If she had a smartphone, she could have just got the app. Then again, I can see the cons of watching TV in your phone.

5:00
    Husband comes down. You could really feel the bogan vibe off this guy. No shirt, tattoos, nipple piercings and a beer belly. Still, he seemed like a nice guy. HE asked for some more shampoo and conditioner for his wife coz apparently he used some and she needed more for her long hair. Plus two towels. I told him the cost and got them for him, he just needed to get the money from his room.

Not too long after, he and Bogan-ella come to the desk. Bogan-ella SLAMS the money onto the counter and went off at me that we don't give enough toiletries.

Let me offer my case. In the queen size rooms, we leave one tube of shampoo, conditioner and body wash and a bar of soap. We kind of assume that guests will bring their own. If you want more, politely ask. You don't run up to the desk and tell us how we run things.

Her hair wasn't even that long, it just passed her shoulders. Seriously, even if it's half empty, bring your own. I had to actively ignore her as I was getting her change. When I handed it to her, I said as politely as possible that if they needed anything let me now, so she spat (not literally) back at me "Don't count on it!".

Oh boy am I pissed right now. Petty, idiotic and frustrating. We may be a motel, but we provide the minimum when it comes to toiletries. Don't expect an entire bottle of premium shampoo to be waiting for you in the bathroom.

I'll post an update if they do something crazy when they check out; it's gonna take what little willpower I have not to insult her.

Just remember: If you must insult, keep the words short and simple so she can understand them properly.

Actually, it doesn't matter. The world is an insult to her for not catering to her every whim.
    Of course, this also makes for some odd/interesting watching... if we don't actually have to deal with her.

Comment

The best way to bring Netflix with you is to bring a fire stick or roku or something. I assume the tvs can handle a usb port or hdmi port right?
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Or maybe just bring a book or something.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
          Or maybe just bring a book or something.
          In Australia, Bogans are the ones who say (proudly - chest puffed out)

"I've never read a book."

I estimate I've read 40 thousand books (so far) in my lifetime, and one of these idiots said to me:-

I did not answer. It was not worth it.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            The best way to bring Netflix with you is to bring a fire stick or roku or something. I assume the tvs can handle a usb port or hdmi port right?
            The cheapest TVs available (which are probably what you'd find in a motel) generally don't have USB. I don't know about HDMI but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quoth gerund View Post
            They're proud of that?!
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
              They're proud of that?!
              Apparently Seraph dealt with one individual who actually boasted of being on Jerry Springer.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                Apparently Seraph dealt with one individual who actually boasted of being on Jerry Springer.
                Dat be sum gud qualety teevee rat there.
                *Shudders*
                Am I the only one waiting for an outraged guest to take after the host instead of a fellow guest? I might actually watch that video.

As for the no-books type... most of the ones I have dealt with don't feel pride about not being a reader. That's a special kind of stupidity/willful ignorance.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                  They're proud of that?!
                  Not only proud, but likely to pick on someone who admits to reading. You have the same in your country see Bill Hicks.

Comment

When Arlo Guthrie started elementary school he examined the school trophy case and realized all the kids in there had done things... lots of things.

Little Arlo realized that the only way he'd make it was if he did NOTHING.

He was progressing very well until his mother found out...

*this retelling may or may not resemble the original!
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've always got a few books I'm reading. I have books on wicca, tarot, and a lot of autobiographies. Recently I got to hold in my hands and read a book that was printed 100 years ago by the author Clyde Browne. He ran a printing press out of his house. That he built by hand from old churches and cathedrals and abbeys from around the world. And who would become the grandfather of one famous singer songwriter Jackson Browne. It was the coolest thing I'd ever experienced. Who could not want to do that? To hold and read a book?

As for HDMI in the tv now that I think about it I believe that's standard by now, I think all tvs are HD at this point in time.
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        When Arlo Guthrie started elementary school he examined the school trophy case and realized all the kids in there had done things... lots of things.

Little Arlo realized that the only way he'd make it was if he did NOTHING.

He was progressing very well until his mother found out...
                        *this retelling may or may not resemble the original!
                        I have heard a recording of Arlo's performance at the Strawberry Music Festival, where he uses this story to introduce "This Land is Your Land," written by his father.

He decided that he would be really good at Doing Nothing, until he was hauled into the school office. He figured the school couldn't do anything about it, but hadn't reckoned with them calling his mother, who was not amused.

His mother took him out of public school and enrolled in a private, progressive school, "so I could progress." On his first day there, at the morning assembly, they sang "This Land." Arlo was the only person there who didn't know the song.

Comment

I'll grant that I don't use hotels often at all (I did a few weeks ago, though) -- but I've never seen a TV in one that was HD, let alone one that had an external input of any kind that was customer-accessible. I just figure they'd wanna keep people from using them and then complaining when their game console or fire stick blows out randomly; that, or using them to have inappropriate content on them (that they had not paid the hotel for.)
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
                            In Australia, Bogans are the ones who say (proudly - chest puffed out)

Ugh. I can't imagine how awful life would be without books. And these folks are proud of not reading?!
                            Quoth Buzzard View Post
                            As for the no-books type... most of the ones I have dealt with don't feel pride about not being a reader. That's a special kind of stupidity/willful ignorance.
                            I have come to the conclusion that the one thing I absolutely hate the most is willful stupidity. Someone who chooses to be ignorant and stupid. They hurt not only themselves but everyone around them. I just can't deal with that kind of mindset.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth PoliteBoy View Post
                              Not too long after, he and Bogan-ella come to the desk. Bogan-ella SLAMS the money onto the counter and went off at me that we don't give enough toiletries.

Let me offer my case. In the queen size rooms, we leave one tube of shampoo, conditioner and body wash and a bar of soap. We kind of assume that guests will bring their own. If you want more, politely ask. You don't run up to the desk and tell us how we run things.
                              Yeah I had a lot of those We-Think-Your-Prices-Are-Too-High-So-We'll-Get-Back-By-Grabbing-All-Of-The-Shampoos-Conditioners-Bodywashes-Etc. The idea is that they're really upset at the rate so they feel entitled to "freebies". A lot of trailer trash would do this but the most Grabby Snatcher was a man in a suit who asked really nasty, for 12 shampoos for himself. And he was bald. I wish I was making this up. So yeah, it's not about the hair I think.
                              Last edited by EricKei; 04-03-2018, 06:20 PM.
                              Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                              The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
                              X