Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I'm curious. How much does the lotion cost?

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
      Now I'm curious. How much does the lotion cost?
      I was wondering the same thing myself!
      Someone please share?
      ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

It's called Goat's Milk Lotion from a brand in Vermont called Canus. Here, have a link. The original formula that she likes so much is $8.50 a bottle, but it's a big dang bottle and the stuff is as thick as that Norwegian Formula stuff that comes in the tiny bottles. So it's a LOT OF LOTION.

We have a new formula that has marigold oil in it and it comes with a pump (rather than a shampoo style flip lid) and is $11.25.

The problem with having a "manager" talk to her is that when she comes in, I'm the sole employee. It's a Mom and Pop style gift shop, and I'm the senior employee. Which is sad because we opened on Feb 19th in this hospital and I worked for the company since the week before then.

Comment

Let me (sort of) stand up for this woman.

Isn't the real issue that she's not very friendly?

Otherwise, why make such a big deal about a stupid tester? It's not like the store's paying for it -- testers are supplied by the manufacturer/distributor -- and there's no evidence that she's taking so much that she's depriving other customers.

This woman's crime is being a whiney, unfriendly SC. Let's punish her for that. Perhaps the right punishment is making the tester disappear so she goes elsewhere.

But getting PO-ed that she samples the tester on a daily basis -- who cares?

Comment

Let me (sort of) stand up for this woman.

ehhh.... sort of. I mean, by the description, it's like this lady has learned to use this store as a resource for hand nutrients... much like a chimp finding a new termite mound to eat from. Problem is, a store is NOT a termite mound, and shouldn't be treated as such, not even by chimps. Her complete disinterest in persons or things other than free samples moves her from 'customer' to 'annoyance'.
            "Sir, I'm afraid that our warranty does not cover hauntings"

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
              The original formula that she likes so much is $8.50 a bottle, but it's a big dang bottle and the stuff is as thick as that Norwegian Formula stuff that comes in the tiny bottles. So it's a LOT OF LOTION.
              Wait, so if she buys it, she gets a big dang bottle for 8.50$?

And that's expensive?

It's a BIG bottle of QUALITY lotion in semi industrial size for ONLY 8.50$????

Dang. My stepdad is scottish and he's not THAT cheap!

(My apologies to Scottish people. No you're not all cheap, but my stepdad does live up to that stereotype.)

My bottle of Keri was like 20$. That nurse can kiss my velvety soft nourished hydrated ginseng oatmeal aloe botoxed ass.
              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post
                <snip>
                It's not like the store's paying for it -- testers are supplied by the manufacturer/distributor -- and there's no evidence that she's taking so much that she's depriving other customers.
                <snip>
                I can definately see your POV on this one. Yeah, she is somewhat unpleasant, and should be taken down a peg or two. In the interest of maintaining a good relationship with the hospital, I will not be the one to do it. Although I would like to.

As far as the tester not costing us anything. The tester ran out unusually quick because of behavior like this (she's not the only one, nor the first. It's also happening at our other store). Once it runs out, my boss lady asks me to open one of the dinged up bottles that we have paid for and refill the tester.

I'm not so much PO'd that she comes in and uses lotion. Goodness knows I use it while I'm here, but at the same time, I also bought a bottle to take home. And a bar of soap (gawd I love the soap). Yeah, she's an irritation, but since there seems to be a non-violent and non-confrontational way to let her know she needs to buy a bottle of the lotion and that taking more than a tester pump's worth is not the best way to win friends and influence people, I'm going to take it.

I'll only hide the testers for a few days to see if she notices. At the end of the week I'll put it back. I don't want it hidden for long since we won't sell any lotion at all that way. I'm just trying to protect my very cushy job.

Apologies for the run on sentence there. Run ons and fragments. My specialty.

Edit: As I typed this, a woman and her son came in, sampled the aromatherapy shea butter in vanilla bean (I can smell it from across the store), and lo and behold, are buying a jar.

Comment

I'm sarcastic, so I'd tell her that the goats are on strike until they get better wages.
                  "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

See, I do think that testing a product continually with no intention of buying is a problem. I don't think someone is a customer unless they have some intention of purchasing something, not just taking advantage of the situation. If she ever bought anything, instead of just stopping in for her daily free sample, it'd be a different story, but to me, doing this constantly is obnoxious.

Granted, I'd be more likely to not mind if she was at least pleasant, or even acknowledged that maybe she shouldn't be doing that, even in a joking way.
                    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

"You already know you like it, so you are no longer sampling, you are savouring. Now either buy it or get out of my store. No more free samples for you!" -Taylor Doose, Gilmore Girls

I think that pretty much says it all.

Edit- Woot! #600! Party!
                      Last edited by Broomjockey; 04-11-2007, 12:08 AM. Reason: 600!!!!!!!
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Hooray! Broom hit 600 in my thread! Wee!

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
                          (My apologies to Scottish people. No you're not all cheap, but my stepdad does live up to that stereotype.)
                          We're not cheap, we're thrifty!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                            See, I do think that testing a product continually with no intention of buying is a problem. I don't think someone is a customer unless they have some intention of purchasing something, not just taking advantage of the situation. If she ever bought anything, instead of just stopping in for her daily free sample, it'd be a different story, but to me, doing this constantly is obnoxious.

Granted, I'd be more likely to not mind if she was at least pleasant, or even acknowledged that maybe she shouldn't be doing that, even in a joking way.
                            It might also help if she was actually buying something each visit, even if it wasn't the lotion. (It wouldn't be ideal, but at least then she's a legit customer.) I've confessed before to abusing the hell out of Borders' 'free reading' policy, but also to giving them as much of my business as I can afford to, and being polite to staff and other customers (thus, the books go back to the shelves, in the right locations, in a condition I would expect them to be in if I were going to buy them.

Comment

Jester, you've been my hero for months now. Congratulations on continuing to earn said title.
                              Thank you very much.

So I'm thinking I'm going to hide the sample bottle, let my morning coworker know what I'm doing, and see what develops.
                              It seems a lot of people in this thread supported the "hide the sample bottle" idea, but I am going to have to be the odd man out here. See, I don't think that solves anything. Because (1) it doesn't address her taking-advantage-of-the-store behavior, and (2) when you return it from its hiding spot, she will in all likelihood resume her previous behavior. In which case, you have accomplished pretty much nothing. And frankly, I would not be surprised if she demands "her free sample." As if you owe her that.

Now this may shock you folks, but I am not a confrontatational person. No, seriously. (You in the back, stop laughing!) But I will also not back down from a confrontation, and in my opinion, such a confrontation, even if done politely, is necessary here. This woman needs to be called on her behavior. She is completely and totally abusing the system, she has made it obvious she has no intention of buying, and she has made it clear that she views the store simply as a place to get free hand lotion every day. If you are the only employee there when she comes in, run the confrontational scenario by management and see what they think. If they approve, do it. (Obviously if they don't, you can't. And equally obviously, if they don't, they are spineless sniveling cowardly jellyfish. Because it's not like they'll be losing a paying customer!)

Because this woman is taking advantage of your store and its tester policy. And I don't care if you call it sampling, testing, or trying, or comparing--if she does it every day and doesn't buy a damn thing it's still stealing boys and girls!

The store owns the sampler, and sets the sampling policy. And they can also very easily clamp down on said sampling policy to deal with skinflint tightwad entitlement whores like this one if they so choose.

Quoth Auto View Post

<snip>

No, the real issue is that she is a thief. She is taking blatant advantage of the store by using its sampler (that it puts out as a courtesy to customers, which she is not) without making any effort or pretense of buying anything.

She is costing the company money by using so much of their product for free (and as the OP said, they fill up the tester with their own supplies when the tester runs out) and she has exhibited no signs of being interested in actually buying anything whatsoever.

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." This should be applied here. Frankly, I think my confrontational suggestion is mild. Were it my store, I would just ban her outright for her ridiculous and self-centered behavior. But then, I am evil like that. (May the gods help customers if and when I ever own my own bar.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

I hate when people do this. I worked with a girl that would go to the drug store that sold high-end perfume everyday at her 2 breaks and at lunch. She would spritz herself then leave. She said that way she didn't have to spend any money on the perfume.....just use the testers.

I don't think that is right. I am scared when I test a new perfume...I always feel that I am using too much of the tester and that the employees are looking at me funny (although it may just be the paranoia....but I think not).

I agree with BookStoreEscapee.....have an empty bottle there next time and see what she does. That would be funny and the boss may not even have to know! Then you can "catch her".
                                "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

Working...
                                X