This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helpful tips from Cosmo

Hey, hey. I got Cosmo today, and one of the articles in the May '07 issue is "9 Times it Pays to be a Bitch"
    If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it!

"The waiter was mean, your final sale shirt shrunk...you're not being oversensitive, demand your money's worth by being a stealth bitch. First, decide what you want (...store credit, etc) and ask for it in person. But here's the real trick: Stay put for as long as it takes, and cooly respond to any non solution ("That's not our policy") by asking to see someone who can help you.
    "No business wants an unhappy customer...they'll do whatever it takes to get you on your way"
    They also advise them to stay calm because no one wants a customer to blow up.
    Also, this is one of the only ways you can be bitchy and stay out of hell. I did not know that.

I don't know how I feel about this. It made me upset to read this.
    Last edited by junebug87; 04-14-2007, 03:44 AM.
    "I am the me I choose to be"
    -Sydney Poitier
    I (love) "The Office"
    "This month we're having a special on cardstock."
    -Jim Halpert

Stealth bitch huh? I love showing those types up. I just simply repeat my policy spiel in a monotone. If you work at it hard enough you can easily tell that they're losing their so called "cool".
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Cosmo isn't exactly intellectually well-thought-out material. Apparently it never occurred to them that by deliberately seeking compensation for something that doesn't deserve it, and/or not buying anything in the first place, you aren't actually a customer but are instead a thief, or more mildly a scammer. So no companies should worry about losing a "customer" by kicking you out.

Also, it has been admitted before that most of the stuff in Cosmo isn't exactly 100% accurate. For example, almost every article written "by men" giving advice to women was actually written by women who think they know what they're talking about, then refrain from putting their name on the article in the magazine and credit it to "men" in general. Apparently this article wasn't written by a CSR or store employee or even anyone "in the know" about stuff like this. More likely it was just written by a bitch about times that being a bitch has worked out in her favor.
      "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

I think they deserve some letters to the editor....

"That's not our policy" = it's against the rules and I'm not getting fired because you didn't wash your Q-T shirt correctly and it shrunk so small it would fit a Cabbage Patch Doll. Do they bend the rules/policies at work? (Ok, it is possible they do, but...) Why do they expect us to do it?

There is not always someone who can help you if you are being completely unreasonable and entitled. Just suck it up and put on your big girl panties and deal.

And staying put until you get your way? Nice little thing called "tresspassing" if you've been asked to leave. Stores are not public property, mmmm'kay? Do you want to add "disturbing the peace" on there too?

Comment

I like to think Cosmo makes up the majority of their "quotes" and even their embarassing letters too.

Anyhow, back OT, sure people should stand up for themselves, but like the last poster said, if you bitch about something you don't deserve then you are a thief or scammer. What pisses me off about it, nothing is mentioned about being right. Then again, that wouldn't make for good reading.

"Before you go into Stealth Bitch mode, make sure you aren't going to make yourself look like a complete idiot. Are you sure that pair of shoes was on sale? Did that waiter really sneeze on your salad? Are you certain you paid that cell phone bill? You can't get what you want unless you are right in the first place."

Yeah, that wouldn't sell many magazines.

Comment

this reminds me of the 'goodhousekeeping' article of yore, where customers were advised of the many ways to get things for cheaper. that was annoying, stupid and most likely, gave more than a few unlucky cashiers headaches.

i expect this to do the same from the 'fluff' reading crowd; i'd like to beat these writers with a copy of that magazine:

bad dog, sit; no more articles.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

No wonder I don't read Cosmo anymore.

I wasn't the only one who secretly thought that they made up their quotes and stories and embarrassing tales.

What if they made a "Day in My Shoes: A Day In The Life Of A Cashier".......yup, they probably would regret EVER printing that it's ok to be a bitch SC.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Oh my gosh! I just read this next part: There's a handy sentence they give you to start a conversation!

Smart Bitch Phrase: "I chose this restaurant/product/service because I've heard such great things about it, so I'm really surprised by these disapointing results. What can you do to fix the problem?"
                "I am the me I choose to be"
                -Sydney Poitier
                I (love) "The Office"
                "This month we're having a special on cardstock."
                -Jim Halpert

Comment

I married a stealth bitch. She didn't get anything when she left either.
                  This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Um, no. There is a HUGE difference between quiet persistence in setting right an actual problem and just being a wanker about something that you ought to have known better about. (i.e., laundry care for shirts)

Stupid Cosmo. I read it occasionally, but only because I have a trash fix every now and then.
                    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

I'm ashamed to admitt that I've even read Cosmo, let alone paid for their magazine. This has just reiterated to me why I find The Big Issue a better read.

Comment

The only reason I read Cosmo is to get entertainment from stupid sh*t like that "helpful" article. It's so ridiculous; you just can't help but laugh. It worries me to think that some people might take it seriously, though.
                        "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

If Cosmo readers REALLY wanted to know what men thought, they shouldn't look for it in Cosmo, but from MEN. But something tells me Cosmo will not be contacting me any time soon to write "What Men REALLY Think" any time soon. "Why not?" you ask. Not because of my lack of writing skills, no. But because what I would have to say would not be what the average Cosmo reader would want to read or believe. You know, like the truth. That's why.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

What I find scary is that their readers haven't quite figured out that if they didn't turn their sex lives into an absolute mind-blowing estacy with the sex tips in last month's articles, they're probably not going to do so this month, either.

Comment

I really wish that the people who write these articles could work at least a week in retail/phone centers/etc., to know why they are WRONG when they write them.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X