Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a smoker, though I smoke very little compared to most (2-5 cigs a day, unless I'm drinking) and I usually just take one very carefully-timed smoke break at work, given that I work second shift with a limited amount of other agents. I'm terribly considerate about it, and won't go on a break if we have calls in queue, or our email queue is backed up. This is especially because our call center is in a locked down area in the middle of the building, so a smoke break takes 10 minutes minimum, just to get in and out of the call center.

That being said, it drives me INSANE when I watch someone aux out with calls in the queue to go smoke. Unless you just got off the worst call of your life, I have no sympathy for you needing to take 10 minutes off the phones while we're busy to go light up. I'm of a similar mind about any kind of break other than potty breaks, although those should wait until we're slowed down unless you're absolutely not able to wait any longer.

Also, I'm grateful to my company for our sick policies. They're very laid back as long as you act like a grown up, and we just have a call in line you leave a VM on so they know you're not coming in. I was approved last year for FMLA so I could use my normal PTO, instead of sick days, to cover for days when I couldn't come in as I had a migraine. Since then, I've gotten them in check and am working second shift, so I haven't had to call in for a migraine, and am trying out life without FMLA.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Calling out is not a big deal where I work either. Now I'm in a small office, and one person not being there doesn't really affect anyone else, for the most part. (That said, I have yet to call out, though I did leave early one time.) Calling out in the stores might affect more people, depending on how slim the staff is already, but they still don't make a big deal about it, usually. You just tell the MOD and that's it. If you are out more than 2 shifts in a row you need a doctor's note but I figure, if you are sick enough to call out more than twice in a row, you probably should be seeing a doc anyway.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

About the Lidl-scarf story: apparently, the management denies the story (surprise!). True or not*, they treat their staff like crap and that's why I won't shop there, period (no pun intended).

*Judging the way they treat their employees, I wouldn't be surprised if this story was true. I actually believe it's true; just because management denies the whole thing doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Comment

I believe the headband story started in Korea witha Korean company that had the white/read headband thing and strict toilet breaks. Management realised that they were going to get screwed for this and rescinded it quickly. I think it got transformed into a legend about Lidl.

Rapscallion

Comment

I have one more rule to add to WalMart's list: You can go to college, as long as you don't need to have any hours to do your homework because we sure as hell aren't going to give you enough time to do it

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
              Hell, I would be in trouble nonstop because that sounds like a perfect job to me. Getting to sit and do basically nothing for eight hours but stare at a prod and daydream? And get paid? Sign me the hell up. (Then again, I have an extremely rich fantasy life and I can do that whole sit in one spot for eight hours thing.)
              Heh... that sounds a lot like me.

For those of you still under the WM yoke, or working for other such fascist employers, you should look into your state/country's labor laws. I know that in California an employer is required by law to have employees take breaks and lunch based on the number of hours worked. My workplace is extremely relaxed, so I have no issues when it comes to breaks, lunch, minor tardiness, but they are very strict in their adherance to laws that can get them into trouble.

Places such as WM depend on the fact that most people are uneducated as to their rights and that of those who know the laws, most will not take the effort to act on them. And of those that actually go to court, their court fees are far less money to them than it would cost for them to actually treat their employees like humans.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
              X