This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Percedes Mends":

Many, many years ago Mad magazine had a piece on how to get back at people without being overtly mean to them. One of the ideas was a $20 gift certificate to a Cadillac dealership... Useless even then, and we're talking more than 40 years ago...
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
    TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
      You know I have a phone book AND road map at home. If I moved north I could be a god.
      You know, I have quite the collection of phonebooks, atlases and state maps. What does that make me?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Wow excuse me for being late but where the heck do you work? These are the most random calls....

Also, if the place is closed, why are you answering the phone at all? Couldn't you just let it ring and hope the person on the other end figures out the store is closed?

Thanks for the laughs!!

Comment

Quoth air914 View Post
          Wow excuse me for being late but where the heck do you work? These are the most random calls....

Also, if the place is closed, why are you answering the phone at all? Couldn't you just let it ring and hope the person on the other end figures out the store is closed?

Thanks for the laughs!!

An "answering service". Basically, companies come to us, tell us what they need operators for and we train them to do it. It can be practically anything from order taking to tech support to emergency lines. If a company doesn't generate the call volume to merit or can't afford their own call center they can outsource to us.

A lot of company's also use us to maintain 24 hour service ( We take over after office hours, etc ) or after hours emergency service.

My problem is I handle the graveyard shift, so I have to be trained on and take every single call type we have. Whereas during the day different call types go to different operators who are specifically trained on them and only them.

I also deal with all of the after hours emergency lines which run the spectrum from lawyers offices, doctors/hospitals, property management emergencies, tech support emergencies, American citizens doing stupid things in Canada emergencies, coroners (aka the "Hey we found a body" calls), etc etc etc.

So basically I mainly talk to idiots, nutjobs, lawyers, doctors, cops and the occasional would be terrorist. =p

Comment

My mom had that same job for a bit, but she worked dayshift. My aunt also worked in the same office.

After about a week, my mom got all of the obscene calls. Since they were mostly through a couple of psychiatrists lines, the call center wasn't allowed to hang up. There were a couple of regular breathers who'd call to chat and she wasn't weirded out by them.

Her most-hated caller was the lush ex-wife of one of the doctors. She'd call, three sheets to the wind, semi-coherent and ranting and usually had no idea who she was calling. But since it was the emergency line, whoever got her had to just sit through the call until she passed out or otherwise ended the call.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              three sheets to the wind,
              Not heard that phrase in a while, though we did nickname one of our alleged customers that. She was famous for whining to all of us in turn that she'd gone for a walk in the park and nearly been blown over by the wind. Well, what are we supposed to do about that?

She was also famous for asking for us to deliver some flowers to an address with a gift card she wrote out. She paid in advance, so we didn't mind. The Boss got to the address and she answered the door.

"Oh, for me!" she exclaimed in a voice loud enough to be heard around the rest of the house. "Who could these be from?"

"You should know," the Boss thundered back in similar tones, not having taken the hint. "You ordered them."

We didn't see her again after that.

Rapscallion
              Last edited by Rapscallion; 04-17-2007, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                Not heard that phrase in a while...

Heh. Fun fact: The term was part of an actual drunkeness rating system. 4 Sheets meant completely unconscious.

The origin has to do with nautical terms. Ropes that held things in a horizontal manner were called sheets and a ship that had three sheets 'to the wind' (meaning loose and flapping) would steer in an incredibly eratic way, much like someone who was quite drunk.

That's what comes of reading voraciously, enjoying a good pirate yarn, and particpating for a number of years in a historical re-enactment guild, aka a faire guild that was, ostensibly, a shipping company. We were the English company with the Dutch name, run by the Irish wife of the French owner.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Jpurple View Post
                  Bah! of course Alberta's a problem! Just ask anyone from B.C!
                  Of course, you'll have to come to Calgary to find half of us...

(I just celebrated my two year moving anniversary on Sunday. It was sunny! Then it snowed. Oh well).

Comment

Working...
                  X