This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Recycling" for fun and profit

At the Fun Shop, we "recycle" people's old electronics. The truth is, we hang on to the pricier stuff that we think we can repair, or use as-is, and we have contacts that take the other stuff for their own nefarious uses. None of it ever actually sees a recycling plant, but at the same time, none of it ends up in the dump either. Not completely honest, but well-intentioned nonetheless.

On Friday alone, we received, for recycling:
    • A VERY new (2008-ish) HP color laser printer, the four-cartridge variety. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and the cartridges have significant life left on them.
    • A very very expensive CRT projection HDTV, with a minor picture issue that's more than likely a bad capacitor, or maybe a loose wire or cold solder joint. 20c in parts and an hour of labor for a 50" 1080i bigscreen? Score!
    • A five-channel home theater amplifier and sound system controller. Very high-end unit. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just missing some jumpers on the back.

And that's only what I noticed -- there's still a BIG pile of unsorted stuff from the city. This "recycling" program is key to how the Fun Shop stays afloat -- we never have to actually buy new equipment, people just give it to us for free.
    Last edited by roothorick; 01-09-2011, 07:45 PM.

You ARE recycling it. You're taking someone else's "junk" and making it useful again. Not your fault they were only thinking in terms of taking it apart to melt down base materials for reuse!
    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Recycling is recycling no matter where the profit ends up. (you don't think that recycling plants are charities do you?)

Comment

As long as it stays out of the dump, who cares?

I once sold a BROKEN DVD player on eBay for $25. I paid $75 for it. When I sold it, I knew it would go to someone looking for parts or who would fix it themselves.

We both came out winners: I got $25 for a piece of junk I had no use for, and he got a bargain on a DVD player.

For me, it's great to have a place to take broken electronics. I've got an alarm clock/CD player that's losing time. I've gotta figure out where I can take it. A place like where you work would be perfect.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Best form of recycling is to put the apparatus in working condition and a new life. minimum energy wasted, minimum material thrown away, no environmental impact on recovering prime material, etc.

I say it's a triple-win. No waste, a happy customer who gets something good cheap, and your gain.

Comment

Hehe I've been recycling electronics for years!

Whenever my employer 'retires' computers, they somehow find their way home with me. Some of the parts go into my own machines. What I can fix, gets rebuilt (with used parts, of course!) and donated to charity. What can't be fixed...meets its death. That is, it gets scrapped and/or bashed to bits with the fence maul. When I 'scrap' a dead computer, I take everything apart. I tend to hang onto the mounting hardware, the motors, some of the electronic bits...and everything else (plastic keys, cases, aluminum heat sinks, etc.) goes into the borough's recycle bin.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Sometimes that's cheaper to give away and let someone do with as they may.

Where I work they moved away from CRTs before I started with the company. We had a stack of 10-15 of them left.

With approval I dragged them to the hallway and put a free sign on them. They were all taken. It would have cost us to dispose of them and we made space that way. Win-win for the employee and company.

Comment

Quoth flyingember View Post
                Sometimes that's cheaper to give away and let someone do with as they may.

Where I work they moved away from CRTs before I started with the company. We had a stack of 10-15 of them left.

With approval I dragged them to the hallway and put a free sign on them. They were all taken. It would have cost us to dispose of them and we made space that way. Win-win for the employee and company.
                This, completely this.

The cost to properly dispose of electronics is incredibly prohibitive.

The cost of posting it on craigs list/freecycle? Nothing.

Comment

When I worked for Huge Insurance Company, when old computers / printers etc were replaced, we would give them to local schools who were very happy to get equipment that was more than adequate for what they wanted. If they could come and get it they could have it.
                  (I once had the delight of answering the phone only to find my wonderful ex Math teacher on the line - and yes he was wonderful, the person who taught me that Math didn't have to be terrifying)
                  Last edited by Marmalady; 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM. Reason: typo!
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

The company my dad works for is a medical equipment company, and they told his branch to "recycle as they see fit" any metal pieces that are too far damaged to be fixed. So off to the scrap metal dealer! They got so much money on back they had a BIG holiday party, WITH extra money afterwords.

Comment

Working...
                    X