Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Computer engineer" plus some more....

Where'd you get your degree, out of the newspaper?!

BACKSTORY: Based on trolling the vendor forums and my own experience, I found it's best to uninstall any IE/Firefox toolbars and clear any un-needed startup processes in MSCONFIG before installing any of our store-licensed antivirus software. Not only does it make the computer and browser run a lot faster but it reduces the chance of freezups / crashes. Plus they might interfere with the antivirus software so disabling them lessens the chance of that.

Anyway, after I remoted in to this SC's PC (or really her mother's PC) I was about to do that when the SC stopped me.

SC: I do NOT want you to remove toolbars. The browser works fine and they never crash it.

Me: That may be true for now, but you do also they're spyware as well, right?

SC: That's blatantly untrue and slanderous, just don't remove them ok?

Me: *Goes to show her I'm going to clear startup, gave her the reasons.*

SC: This computer has been running FINE with all the default startup processes running! Do not clear startup!

Me: Um, not only will it lessen the chance of freezups / crashes but it will make the computer boot up a lot faster, and lessen the chance of them possibly conflicting with the antivirus software.

SC: Did you not hear me? Startup does not need to be cleared and if you're telling me that startup processes mess with your software then that means it's junk and needs to be returned!

Me: I'm just trying to help. I don't know why you're being resistant to it.

SC: I'M A COMPUTER ENGINEER! I DON'T APPRECIATE YOU TALKING TO ME LIKE A FREAKIN' IDIOT!

SC then was questioning why I decided to just uninstall-reinstall the software instead of fighting with a corrupted install, I flat out told her I'm not going to fight with a corrupted install while I gleefully downloaded the removal tool for said software. SC then put her husband on (who was not very talkative, thank goodness) and I did a clean install of the software. Of course, when I rebooted the PC took 4 minutes to start up (due to all the startup processes) but hey, SC is a computer engineer and I'm just a tech support peon so what do I know.

----

And as a bonus, here's 2 quickies:

1. The Vista-to-7 car analogy:

A customer wanted to know what the difference was between Vista and 7 since they're both based on the same essential code base. So, I give him my "car analogy:"

Me: Imagine that Vista was a car that had a lot of hype, but was released with a crummy interior, a problematic transmission and a weak engine. 7 is the same car but redesigned with a sleeker look, much better interior, a more powerful motor and a transmission that's problem free.

Customer: The Chrysler 300?

Me: I've seen the spy shots of the 2011 model so yeah, pretty much.

2. Well that backfired....

Client was complaining that her 2 month old computer got infected by a virus and OMG how could a 2 month old PC be infected by a virus OH NOES!

Me: At MIT which is a famous tech school, one of their students bought a computer off the shelf and decided to see how long it would take to get the computer infested. He hooked it up, started surfing and within 30 minutes he was infested. So it doesn't matter how new/old a PC is, the risk is the same.

SC: Even more reason to sell this junk on ebay and get a Mac.

Me: Macs aren't immune to viruses either, if they were there would be no reason for Symantec and others to make Mac antivirus software.

SC: Whatever, windows apologist.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 12-14-2010, 03:27 PM. Reason: MAC/Mac

As far as MacOS X is concerned, antivirus programs still mostly look for Windows viruses to prevent them from spreading further. There are *remarkably* few viruses for modern Macs.

There are a few viruses for older Macs in the wild though. I once found one on a magazine cover CD. But these are easily caught by small, lightweight, freeware AV systems.

Comment

Yeah, but the main reason there are few viruses for Macs is because they are such a small percentage of the computers hooked up onto the internet, not because the codebase is any more secure. Heck, OS X even comes with its firewall turned off by default. (*** I could be a couple point versions of OS X behind on this assertion. If I am and this was fixed, please disregard that sentence.)

I disagree with the Vista/7 car analogy. I'd rather say that Vista is an all right car that was using a new-style trailer hitch, and every trailer you own doesn't have that hitch and it takes a year for someone to come out with an adapter. (The main problem with Vista was that vendors didn't make the drivers in time for release, so a lot of upgrades didn't work. Most fresh installs on new hardware were fine.)
      "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Comment

Quoth TheRabbi View Post
        I disagree with the Vista/7 car analogy. I'd rather say that Vista is an all right car that was using a new-style trailer hitch, and every trailer you own doesn't have that hitch and it takes a year for someone to come out with an adapter. (The main problem with Vista was that vendors didn't make the drivers in time for release, so a lot of upgrades didn't work. Most fresh installs on new hardware were fine.)
        You forgot to mention all the bugs, like: staying at the "shutting down" screen forever after a software install, terrible memory management that made any amount of RAM feel like not enough, generic host process and COM surrogate errors that come up for no reason, icons and start menu suddenly taking 2+ minutes to show up after the welcome screen disappears, etc etc.

BTW these are all bugs that Micro$oft never bothered to fix because of their admitting of Vista being a stopgap until 7 came out. Once windows 7 was released, that was it for Vista bugfixing.

Comment

Didn't experience any of those. And I had two laptops with Vista on them and a whole lab full of Vista computers and non-tech-savvy users to support.

Also, while your comment does indicate that you're technically savvy enough to be talking intelligently about this, I lose several points of respect right off the bat for anyone who feels the need to spell "Microsoft" with a dollar sign.

Comment

Quoth TheRabbi View Post
            I'd also say that they put too large an engine along with too small a gas tank.

Vista is a memory hog, it just is, this wasn't helped by every person and their grandma selling any computer that just met the "minimum spec" to run Vista with Vista on it.

It meant there was about 2 years worth of laptops sold that could just run Vista but couldn't run anything else at the same time without it slowing down incredibly.

I know that those people who have vista on a machine good enough to run it well and run other programs as well have a lot fewer problems than the general populace have had but the simple answer is that Windows 7 is better in pretty much all respects, especially when it comes to system resources and memory usage.
            "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
            Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
              SC: I'M A COMPUTER ENGINEER! I DON'T APPRECIATE YOU TALKING TO ME LIKE A FREAKIN' IDIOT!
              If you're a "computer engineer", why am I fixing your computer?

Effing tool.

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
                I'd also say that they put too large an engine along with too small a gas tank.

Vista is a memory hog, it just is, this wasn't helped by every person and their grandma selling any computer that just met the "minimum spec" to run Vista with Vista on it.

It meant there was about 2 years worth of laptops sold that could just run Vista but couldn't run anything else at the same time without it slowing down incredibly.

I know that those people who have vista on a machine good enough to run it well and run other programs as well have a lot fewer problems than the general populace have had but the simple answer is that Windows 7 is better in pretty much all respects, especially when it comes to system resources and memory usage.
                This is fair. And you'll never find me saying that Vista was a good operating system (or that 7 isn't loads better), just that it wasn't a bad one either. I feel that its failings were and are vastly overblown, perhaps helped by the aforementioned drive to sell underpowered hardware with Vista on it.

Comment

After finding that much of the applications and hardware at work wouldn't support Vista...we said "fuck it," and stayed with XP. In fact, our proprietary database system will not work under Vista most of the time. Either it's slow as hell, or it doesn't work at all! But, it works fine under XP and 7. Go figure.

I do agree that there was plenty of blame for Vista's disappointment. Some of it should be directed at Micro$haft, but the rest should be directed at the aftermarket, and the idiots who had to have it immediately. If they'd waited, many of the early bugs were eventually taken care of. How do I know this? My mom, who bought a new laptop right after the the backlash, has had no problems. Not so with my boss, who bought his system during the "me want, must have" phase

As for Macs, well, I don't think they're any more immune to viruses than the average PC. Simply put, there are less of them out there. If I wanted to cause mass havoc, I'd choose to infect the greatest number of machines possible--I'd go after the PC users.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post

Effing tool.
                    If she really was a computer engineer she would have put something better on her mother's PC than what she choose for security (Hint: starts with a W).

Quoth TheRabbi View Post
                    This is fair. And you'll never find me saying that Vista was a good operating system (or that 7 isn't loads better), just that it wasn't a bad one either. I feel that its failings were and are vastly overblown, perhaps helped by the aforementioned drive to sell underpowered hardware with Vista on it.
                    Remember all the Vista PC's that came with 1GB or 512mb of memory?

Comment

When I was running Vista on the old machine (Vista Home 64 bit on a 8Gig Quad-core), I never had a hiccup with it. The problems were more with the drivers and what they would and wouldn't support. Never had a BSOD or any other strange crap-outs - even with all my futzing with settings and hardware. :P

Running Win 7 64 now on the main machine, and it's pretty smooth.

Though the Fedora on the ol' PIII chugs along pretty well.

B
                      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post

Effing tool.

Man, I hate those SCs. Those are the worst ones of all the tech support SC's. No real computer guru is gonna call tech support to fix the issue they can do themselves. 99.9% of the time SC's spout off some big shot computer guru title, they're full of shit.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

The 'computer engineer' is probably married to a 'lawyer' also. Every SC is a lawyer or something. I swear it gets to the point if you are a plumber going to fix a leak they will be a Plumologist! Rantgargleargh!
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                            If she really was a computer engineer she would have put something better on her mother's PC than what she choose for security (Hint: starts with a W).

Remember all the Vista PC's that came with 1GB or 512mb of memory?
                            Ugh, my sister has one, and it takes 7 minutes to boot up (I kid you not, I timed it). I even told her that her issue was the minimal ram and that I would help her buy it and even install it, so long as she pays for it. No dice. So for Christmas, I got her a 1GB stick and am going to plug it in for her so at least she can handle the system better.

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                            Man, I hate those SCs. Those are the worst ones of all the tech support SC's. No real computer guru is gonna call tech support to fix the issue they can do themselves. 99.9% of the time SC's spout off some big shot computer guru title, they're full of shit.
                            I was asked by the techs where I used to work one day just how much knowledge I have in fixing machines. I told them "If I bring in my computer for repair, have an order prompt ready because something has fried and you're going to need to order a replacement."
                            Last edited by lordlundar; 12-08-2010, 02:17 PM.
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                              But this means 0.1% of the time they do know what they're doing. If such a one gets stumped, it's got to be something pretty far out, and good luck getting it fixed.

"Have you tried restarting the program?"
                              "Did that. Didn't work."
                              "Have you tried rebooting your computer?"
                              "Tried that too. Didn't work either."
                              "Have you tried $foo, $bar, $baz?"
                              "Yes, I've done all those things. $Foo did nothing. $Bar screwed it up worse. $Baz made my coffeemaker start producing tea." etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X