Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, I am requesting some more advice vis-a-vis my music...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I am requesting some more advice vis-a-vis my music...

Ok, now I have a dilemma. And it is as follows:

I have purchased 3 microphones (two for guitars, and one for singing, which oddly I don't use that much), and an audio interface to work on my music. This is nearly $500 worth of equipment, plus a couple of cables. My DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) is free, but has limited functionality and basically no "built in" instruments. But it suits my needs for recording. The "non vocal" microphones are for recording guitar, because when you record acoustic guitar, you get better sound quality (and more versatility) recording with microphones instead of direct input.

I'd like to play guitar on my own album, with my own tracks (because I do play guitar).

The problem is, I recently found "Band In A Box", where I can make full backing tracks. I can do it based on key, tempo, and so forth. "Band In A Box" is $130.

Once I put together the backing tracks (which, with BIAB seems much easier than the way I would normally have to do it, which also included possibly learning another couple of instruments), I can simply put my own vocals over the top, and have a full song. And apparently, because of the way it works, I can sell these songs if they turn out well enough.

Although, I may be able to put my own guitar track within it, too. I don't know.

So you see my dilemma?

So, should I stick with my "original" plan (which I think would also be cool, because it would just be me and my guitar), or should I go with the full "band in a box"?

Thoughts?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I've no experience with that stuff (I'm a choral singer but that's as far as it's gone) -- but, if it offers pre-packaged tracks, I would make 110% sure that the music included in the system can be used for commercial purposes, let alone distributed at all; additional fees may apply if so. Do so before purchasing it. On a side note, just so you're prepared: don't be surprised if you do end up using it and some folks (likely those who use it too) give you crap about using premade tracks at some point.
    If the program just makes it easier for you to create your own original tracks, then this is unlikely to be an issue (I'm not clear on the usage of the program).
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      I've no experience with that stuff (I'm a choral singer but that's as far as it's gone) -- but, if it offers pre-packaged tracks, I would make 110% sure that the music included in the system can be used for commercial purposes, let alone distributed at all; additional fees may apply if so. Do so before purchasing it. On a side note, just so you're prepared: don't be surprised if you do end up using it and some folks (likely those who use it too) give you crap about using premade tracks at some point.
      If the program just makes it easier for you to create your own original tracks, then this is unlikely to be an issue (I'm not clear on the usage of the program).
      I'll keep digging, but so far from what I understand I can indeed use for commercial purposes.

It seems like a really in-depth piece of software (especially given the price tag of $130), but as a basic starting point, you can select a key, and beats per minute, and a "style", and then plug in chords in a spreadsheet-type layout, and it plays music for you based on those selections. You can remove instruments from the mix, and I think you might be able to add additional ones, too.

So for instance, if I wanted a basic I, IV, V progression in C (C, F, G), I could put that in (in various places) the spreadsheet-type interface, and it would play music based on my selections.

Comment

OK. If it just generates beats/notes (instead of drawing from an existing library of songs or swatches of them), then that sounds like it's usable - but, as before, double-check. Read that TOS carefully, ask on a reddit or the appropriate section of their official message board (ask for a specific citation), etc. I realize that I'm erring on the side of paranoia, here, but that may be a good thing when it comes to copyright. Even a bullshit claim can bankrupt most folks.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          OK. If it just generates beats/notes (instead of drawing from an existing library of songs or swatches of them)
          Kind of. it has built in "real styles". Basically, the way I understand it, is if you and I picked the same style of music, and the same chords, and the same beats per minute, and we generated a song, it would be different for both of us.

But I'm going to keep looking just to make sure. But everything I've seen so far says any song I generate is OK for commercial use.

Comment

Working...
          X