This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curse the DMV!

The DMV, or DVS as it's called here in Minnesota, is the worst. It's bad enough that they have shorter hours (supposedly) because of COVID-19. They've got a waiting area cordoned off in the hall of the mall where their office is. People were masked, but no one was social distancing.

I went on my lunch break. I didn't want to take long, so I did as much as I could online. Especially since, once the pandemic is over, I want to be able to fly on vacation, so I want my REAL ID. I gathered all the documents the website said I'd need and pre-applied.

After a bit of a wait, one of the clerks ushered me in. I told him I wanted to renew my license. I handed him the printout of my pre-application and my DL. He pulled up my info on the screen. "Have you lived out of state?" "No." He looks at his screen, then back at me. "Not since 1994," I say. "We have you living in Arizona." "I've never even BEEN to Arizona." While he called his help line, I looked it up. There are at least 2 people in Arizona with the same name as me, including middle initial. All older than me, though.

Finally he gets that straightened out and looks at the documents I brought to get a REAL ID: social security card, birth certificate, and utility bill for proof of residence. All good. Then he asks the question that throws a monkey wrench into all of this: "Have you ever had a different name?" "Yes... why?" It turns out, despite what the website says, if you've ever had a different name, they need documentation of that. Even though I went back to my maiden name when I got divorced, because my name was different, they need to see my marriage license and divorce decree.

I asked what to do, and he said my best option was to renew my license as a regular license for now, and then either get a REAL ID or a passport later. At least then, I won't be driving on an expired license. :sigh:

So after a half hour, I have my temporary license. I also have a stern email in to the DVS saying they need to update their website. Or if their website is correct, they need to train their employees better.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

The title explains why the DMV (or DVS) is so bad. People have been cursing them for decades, probably a century, and it's taken effect.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
    X