This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crotchety old lady, and incredibly rude couple on the lanes

Two more somewhat recent stories. The first in health and beauty care, the second when I was up helping on a register.

Crotchety old lady

Lady: "I'm looking for a certain kind of lip balm, it's called ****" (I don't remember the name now).

Me: "Sorry, I've never seen that brand here before."

Lady: "Well can you get someone over here who KNOWS??"

Me: "I'm the only one here right now who works in this department and is familiar with it."

Lady: *waves hand at me nastily and dismissively and drives off on her cart*

Me: "Sorry!"

Two minutes later at most I get a call from the pharmacist.

"Can you come over and help a lady looking for a product? She's riding an Amigo."

Me: (ARRRRGH!!! Are you KIDDING me?!) *heads over*

Lady: "I just talked to you!"

I explained again that we don't carry that brand.

Lady: "Why don't you use that phone RIGHT over there to call a manager who knows??!"

Me: "My supervisor today is a guy who would know absolutely nothing about cosmetics. I'm the one who is very familiar with this department."

Lady: *does the hand wave again* "I don't have TIME for this!!" *rides off*

I remembered helping her on a previous occasion and getting the same hand wave from her, although I don't recall the situation. But it was an old white haired lady on an Amigo, so I imagine it was her.

Rude couple on a lane

A middle aged couple is at my register, I'm ringing up a large grocery order. When I get to the frozen pizzas one accidently gets double scanned, and unfortunately I failed to notice until it was pointed out. If you cashier, you know how sensitive these scanners can be and from time to time, a double scan will occur. Luckily 95% of the time the cashier will correct it before the customer even has time to comment on it.

Guy: "That pizza rang up twice!"

I apologized for my oversight and voided it out with a quick hit of a key.

I continue scanning.

Guy: *loudly, to wife, both standing directly in front of my face* "Did she do it RIGHT??"

Wife: "I DOUBT it."

Me: "....*slight disbelieving chuckle*

A few seconds later.

Wife: "NOW you've got the Lean Cuisines scanned three times!"

Me and the husband both pointed out to her at the same time that they did, in fact, have three.

Wife: "Oh, sorry."

When I got to the eggs I placed them in a bag by themselves.

Guy: (VERY nastily) "You can put the other eggs in the bag with these!! You can't just have one thing in a bag, you know!!" *snatches bag, places second package of eggs on top*

Ah, I love people.
    Last edited by Despina83; 07-01-2013, 01:39 AM.

Quoth Despina83 View Post
    Guy: (VERY nastily) "You can put the other eggs in the bag with these!! You can't just have one thing in a bag, you know!!" *snatches bag, places second package of eggs on top*
    "Really? Let's find out!" (grabs plastic bag, places over guy's head and ties handles very tightly around neck) "Oh, look at that, he fell over. I guess you can have just one thing in a bag."

Yes, that scene was vicious, but there was no reason for them to be so rude. I've double-scanned things and mistyped things before. It's no big deal. It's no worse than making a typo and having to hit the backspace key.

I guess these idiots just wanted to feel oh-so-superior to the peon at the cash register. And of course, the more they bitch and scold and sneer, the more flustered the employee gets and the more mistakes s/he makes, thus making the SCs feel even more superior. I really wish we could pass a law to make everybody have to work in customer service for at least two months, just so they can see what it's like on our side of the counter.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

They get really annoyed when they pull this crap and I don't get flustered. I deny them the reaction they wanted, as you have done here. Love it.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Despina83 View Post
        When I got to the eggs I placed them in a bag by themselves.

Guy: (VERY nastily) "You can put the other eggs in the bag with these!! You can't just have one thing in a bag, you know!!".
        "Ok!" :rops gallon of milk in on top of the eggs.

Yeah, I'd get fired from where you work. LOL

Comment

It could have been worse. She could have told you she wanted everything in one bag, and she didn't want the bag to be heavy.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Maybe she was looking for free eggs. I mean putting something else with them wouldn't damage all of them.

As for the first lady...No means no.

Comment

First story.... You just can't make some people happy, and unfortunately this is what we get for trying to help people out. Also I noticed some old people tend to be rude and mean in their old age .
              Second story.... "Did she do it right?" No, according to them, you didn't do it right, and it doesn't matter that you've been working there for so long, they think you're just trying to screw them out of their money. And how dare you only put 1 item in a bag, because surely these people work here and are experts at how much can go into a bag and you don't know anything because you're just a cashier. This is how they see things from their point of view, and they think they can do a better job than you. Truth is, put them in your shoes, I guarantee they probably wouldn't last more than a couple days, a week at most .They talk a big game, now let's see if they can walk the walk.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                It could have been worse. She could have told you she wanted everything in one bag, and she didn't want the bag to be heavy.
                Agnes: And you, start over. I want everything in one bag.
                Pimple Faced Kid: Yes, ma'am!
                Agnes: But I don't want the bag to be heavy.
                Pimple Faced Kid: I don't think that's possible!
                Agnes: What are you, the possible police? Just do it!
                DS Andy Cartwright: Everyone and their mums is packin’ round here!
                Nicholas Angel: Like who?
                DS Andy Wainwright: Farmers.
                Nicholas Angel: Who else?
                DS Andy Cartwright: Farmers’ mums.

Comment

Working...
                X