This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ah, life on a cash till...

First week working at the Mart of Wall, two ladies start a fight in my line. Lady # 1 is talking on her phone (ok rude, but it was a busy night and it saved me having to think of chitchat for a minute). The conversation holds her up tendering her money, Lady # 2 behind her taps # 1 on shoulder and says if she'd get off the phone it would save us some time. Swearing and threats ensue from both sides, # 2's hubby gets involved as well.

Took 2 CSM's and the evening floor manager to break it up.

Halloween rolls around, marked down merch and price overrides ensue....

I am up to my eyeballs ringing up 2 carts full of markdowns for a lady when another customer walks up behind me, taps me on the shoulder to ask me a question. (1. Why are you *touching* me? 2. There's a door greeter and another cashier between me and the door you came in by, neither of whom is doing anything. Why have you got to bug the one of us who is doing something? Oh right, because you're a numpty.)

New customer says he left something at this cash register and can I go get it for him. I tell him, no, I cannot because: I am waiting on a customer at the moment and I do not have the authority to authorize such things. Reciepts must be checked, etc, and the CSM can handle that for him down at the podium by the smoke shack.

SC starts swearing at me, complaining that he doesn't want to go stand in line at customer service, that this is bulls**t and he always gets the runaround, etc.

I tell him "Sir, I cannot help you with your issue, as I am in the middle of a transaction, and you will not have to wait in line, as the CSM can handle that for you immediately at the podium, not at customer service at all. Or I can call security...." that last as I am reaching for my register phone....

Still swearing, he went toward the CSM podium. Happily the CSM ( a charming woman who I affectionately and privately call the Eater of the Dead) had heard the SC swearing and was stalking down our way with a very stiff smile on her face. The Eater of the Dead met him 2 registers down from me, and very frostily informed SC she would be happy to help him find what he needed as soon as he stopped speaking that way to her associates in front of her customers.

SC got his stuff back and slunk out the door on the other end rather than walk back past me. The lady I was waiting on leaned over and asked whether I could really call security from my register, I replied that we only have security on call when it's Black Friday, but he doesn't need to know that, yes?

Entitlement, gotta love it.

It's just terribly terribly wrong that during the first anecdote I was totally rooting for "Lady" #2 to kick #1's behind.

And "numpty?" Wow, haven't heard that one in forever!

Welcome aboard XR, thanks for the stories. As a cashier, I'm sure you'll have plenty more.

Comment

Ugh I was 2nd Shift ICS there, WORST JOB EVER. The managers were all brown-nosers and incompetents personally promoted by our tit of a store manager.

I used to love the fist fights though. We had one or two a month, and it used to be the most fun we had at work.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, and no it's not wrong. I woulda put money on # 2 to win it, she had her husband along and was a foot taller. Got a million like that.

I loved the fistfights myself. Gotta combat the boredom somehow.

Comment

Quoth XRogue View Post
          There's a door greeter and another cashier between me and the door you came in by, neither of whom is doing anything. Why have you got to bug the one of us who is doing something? Oh right, because you're a numpty.
          Yes, yes they are. I get those jerks too, especially when I'm working at the cutting counter. They love to ask me things when I'm in the middle of measuring out a large amount of fabric (and making me lose count!)
          Quoth XRogue View Post
          The lady I was waiting on leaned over and asked whether I could really call security from my register, I replied that we only have security on call when it's Black Friday, but he doesn't need to know that, yes?
          Nice one! It's good to see a jerk taught a lesson, as well.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

Nice one! It's good to see a jerk taught a lesson, as well.
            True that, and it made an impression on the lady I was checking out too, she was one of those who stares at the display and every time she thought I'd overcharged her would gripe......she was a lot nicer after watching the Eater of the Dead and I set the numpty straight.

I hate those people who act like we try to overcharge everyone so we can stuff the difference into our own pockets.

Comment

Working...
            X