X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiots Galore

Idiot Level: Beginner

A young girl (mid to late teens) has finished dining in our dining room, but decides she wants a virgin smoothie to go. So she comes up to the bar and orders it. I make it, and for her sub-$5.00 check, she hands me a credit card. Arighty then! I run her card, and give her the slip. And thus the fun begins.

HER: "Am I supposed to sign this?"
    ME: "Um....yeah." Duh. How do you have a credit card and not know this?
    HER: "Which one do I sign?"
    ME: "The copy around your card is your copy, the other one is your copy."
    HER: "So, which one do I sign?"
    ME: [blink blink] "Our copy. You sign our copy."

So she signs and leaves....and naturally, she signed and left the customer copy. Naturally, no tip. Shaking my head, I mention this to my coworker, who had waited on said Young Einstein in the dining room. And said coworker told me it was worse than I thought. How, you ask? Which is exactly what I asked. And coworker told me about this exchange:

CUSTOMER: "What's peel and eat shrimp?"
    COWORKER: "It's shrimp....that you peel...and eat."
    CUSTOMER: "I'll have that."
    COWORKER: "Would you like the half pound or the full pound?"
    CUSTOMER: "What's the difference?"

Added bonus: one of these two people was a native English speaker. One was a native Russian, who now lives here, and speaks English well, though with an accent. If you guessed that the person who needed the difference between a half pound and a full pound explained to them was the native English speaker, congratulations--you've been reading CS.com way too long!

Idiot Level: International Spy

Customer comes up to the bar, and from his accent, it is clear that he is not American. Customer orders a beer. As he appears to be 30 or under, I ask for his ID. He hands me his cruise ship ID. This happens all the time. I politely explain to him that, by Florida law, I can only accept a driver's license or a passport for alcohol sales. He points out that both his picture and his date of birth are on the cruise ship ID. I point out that this does not change the fact that Florida law requires that I only take a driver's license or a passport for alcohol sales. He breaks out some kind of immigration visa paperwork. I refer back to my earlier statement about Florida law, driver's licenses, passports, and alcohol. He refers back yet again to his cruise ship ID. I remind him yet again that said cruise ship ID is in no way valid for alcohol sales in the state of Florida.

So far, this has been a standard exchange that I sadly have to go through all the freakin' time. But now, the plot twist!

He goes into his wallet, for what I believe will be yet another unacceptable ID or some paperwork, yada yada. Nope. He pulls something out and says, "Well all I have is my Romanian driver's license." Which I can see is the standard EU license that I see all the time. I look at him and say, "Now THAT I can accept." You know....it being a DRIVER'S LICENSE and all. I look at the ID, he is of valid drinking age, I get him his beer. He ends up having three, and tipping me exactly nothing for all three. But the thing is, I told him repeatedly I could take a driver's license. He repeatedly tried to get me to take something else, even though he had a driver's license with him the entire time.

Clearly I was dealing with some high-level spy who was testing my knowledge of Florida drinking laws, for an impending invasion of the Florida Keys from Transylvania. Hopefully my knowledge of the appropriate statutes impressed James Bondski enough so that when he goes back to his homeland, he will advise his superiors against their planned invasion, and they will set their sites on some other place with less stringency in their enforcement of drinking laws.

I apologize in advance, Savannah.

Idiot Level: Ninja

So I had just finished participating in a chili cookoff that was part of a larger fundraiser for a worthy cause. Feeling proud of myself for having helped said event raise over $1,100, I rewarded myself with a cold one at World of Beer. Sitting at the back bar, I found myself engaged in a conversation with a.....guy. A very interesting guy.

Somehow we got talking about the fundraiser. And he tells me that we should get together and do a fundraiser, and we'll raise $3,000. Wow! Great! How?

He continues in, telling me with his knowledge, we can raise $30,000! Fantastic, I say! But you still need to tell me how we're gonna do this. Details are kind of important, you know.

He is rolling now, and says that we'll put on the biggest fundraiser Key West has ever seen, and we'll raise over $3 million!

Dude....seriously....if you're not gonna give me any details or specifics, you're just throwing out a lot of hot air. And....he didn't. Not detail one.

He did, however, continue to go on and on about....stuff. Very random stuff. Stuff that made me realize that perhaps I had had a few too many, as he had, at least for a little while, seemed like he was making sense to me. But by this point, he was well off the deep end, and rambling about who knows what. Rambling so much, in fact, that the bartender had to do something he had not yet done at WoB....he had security remove the Rambling Man from the premises. Because what had started out as a spirited discussion among two guys somehow had devolved into random nonsensical ramblings. I'm not quite sure at what point his crazy train had gone off the tracks, but off the tracks it had most assuredly gone, crashing into a village, killing hundreds and inspiring a Denzel Washington movie.

You have to watch out for those sneaky nut jobs. They'll make you believe they're totally rational and draw you into a conversation, and before you know it, you're in Crazy Town shaking hands with Mayor McCheese. These people sneak under the radar, posing as sane individuals, when in fact they are actually Whackjob Ninjas.

You have to watch out for the ninjas.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Let me guess, the 'fundraiser' Idiot Ninja was going to run would be for him

In Credit Card Girl's defense, in some areas (don't know if it's by state or certain card processors) you don't need to sign a credit slip if the transaction's under a certain amount and she was maybe used to that. The shrimp thing...I got nothin' (except that it sounds oddly similar to a conversation I had with a customer the other day).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      You have to watch out for those sneaky nut jobs. They'll make you believe they're totally rational and draw you into a conversation, and before you know it, you're in Crazy Town shaking hands with Mayor McCheese. These people sneak under the radar, posing as sane individuals, when in fact they are actually Whackjob Ninjas.

You have to watch out for the ninjas.

I've had my share of those, as have a number of friends. One had what started as a normal conversation and ended some time later the ninja being escored from the premises while wearing a brand new, fashionable Hug-Me Coat.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Idiot Level: Beginner

HER: "Am I supposed to sign this?"
        ME: "Um....yeah." Duh. How do you have a credit card and not know this?
        HER: "Which one do I sign?"
        ME: "The copy around your card is your copy, the other one is your copy."
        HER: "So, which one do I sign?"
        ME: [blink blink] "Our copy. You sign our copy."

Reminds me of a family friend, who was confused about what to do with a credit card. The difference: he was in his late 50s, and was experiencing the onset of Alzheimer's.

CUSTOMER: "What's peel and eat shrimp?"
        COWORKER: "It's shrimp....that you peel...and eat."
        CUSTOMER: "I'll have that."
        COWORKER: "Would you like the half pound or the full pound?"
        CUSTOMER: "What's the difference?"

Sounds like some of the questions on a certain "Yippee Solutions to your Questions" website. People on there ask questions such as "How much is a house", or "How much does a car cost?" A common response...how long is a piece of rope?

Those that say there are no stupid questions have obviously never dealt with the public.
        My response in bright blue above.
        That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

To be fair, the Romanian guy may not have known it's appropriate to tip in the U.S. In Europe they just pay waiters/bartenders more per hour and don't tip at all.

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
            Those that say there are no stupid questions have obviously never dealt with the public.
            A former general manager of The Bar and I would often have this exchange...

JESTER: "Boss, I have a stupid question."
            GM: "There's no such thing as a stupid question."
            JESTER: "Really? What about the guy who asked if Mount Gay Rum was a rum designed for gay people to drink?"
            GM: "Okay, there ARE stupid questions. What's yours?"

Quoth An Haddock View Post
            To be fair, the Romanian guy may not have known it's appropriate to tip in the U.S. In Europe they just pay waiters/bartenders more per hour and don't tip at all.
            Oh, this I knows this, and have known it for some time. And I expected as much for that reason, combined with this blatant stupidity. But it just made dealing with his stupidity that much more annoying. And it still doesn't make his stupidity and less, well, stupid.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              A former general manager of The Bar and I would often have this exchange...
              There are no stupid questions. There are, however, a lot of inquisitive idiots.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Rambling Man
                Trying to raise funds and doin' the best he can.
                When it's time for leavin', I hope he understands
                That he'll be thrown out on his can.

Comment

We used to have one of those ninja nutjobs who would call in to place ads. I can usually tell from the word "hello" when I've got a nutcase on the phone, due to having developed razor-sharp Nutjob Detectors over the years...but this one woman starts out sounding perfectly ordinary and nomal, and devolves into Crazytown little by little. Doesn't call anymore; I hope she got help.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I had a coworker who, besides being almost 7ft tall and built like a linebacker, seemed pretty normal. One day at the food truck I grab a barely cooked burger (because I like me some raw meat, been eating beef tartare since I was little).

What started out as a debate about the dangers of eating undercooked beef quickly devolved into how zombies are real, there is a drug you can get in FL that turns you into a real zombie and how his big plan is to get enough money to move to Florida so he can turn himself into a zombie and rob a bank (because as a zombie, cops could shoot him but he wouldn't die because...he's a zombie).

Me: But if you're a zombie then what would you need money for?
                    Him: Oh no, after I rob the bank I'll change myself back into a human.
                    Me: But...if the cops shot you dozens of times and you turn yourself back into a human wouldn't you die from the gunshot wounds?
                    Him: (A look like I just killed his favorite puppy) But...but...HEY! You're right! It won't work!

ETA: Jester...in case he works out the flaws in his plan; let the cops in FL know I can get them a line on any zombie bank robbers they may have trouble with.
                    You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                      yeah, but the issue wasn't the lack of a tip. The issue was being told multiple times that a driver's license was needed, having one on him, but not bothering to show it until it finally sunk in that he wasn't getting a drink otherwise....

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
                        how long is a piece of rope?
                        Twice the distance from the middle to one end.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
                          ETA: Jester...in case he works out the flaws in his plan; let the cops in FL know I can get them a line on any zombie bank robbers they may have trouble with.
                          Fuck that. Keep that whackaloon out of my state. We have enough insanity, craziness, and weirdness here already!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                          X