Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't CARE if you're not on the clock!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't CARE if you're not on the clock!!

I'm never late for work but today I was cutting it very close. I was hurrying to the back to punch in with seconds left. Behind me I hear, "Excuse me!! Hello!!" I stopped briefly enough to say, "Sorry, I'm not punched in yet" and then rushed on. Behind me, "PSH!! I was just going to ask a question!!!" So after punching in and putting my stuff in my locker I'm perturbed but figure he's gone. I head out on to the floor and there he is, glaring hatefully. "What's your name?! I'm going to talk to a manager!" Me: "Really??" I then explained that I was about to be late and had seconds to go. "I don't CARE! I don't CARE. GET away from me!! Get out of my face!! GO NOW!!" Mind you, I wasn't in his face. So my managers like me so I'm not in trouble, but they told me to next time help and then if I'm late they'll adjust the punch. What a total disgusting PRICK.

At least your managers are reasonably sympathetic ... though I personally would've told the idiot that if his question was all that freakin' important, why not ASK SOMEBODY ELSE. Which is one of many reasons why I'm not in management.

Comment

When this occured there was another employee in the very next aisle, at the head of it, in plain view. He was on the phone helping a cashier with a price check, but apparently the guy couldn't wait two seconds.

Comment

Well, if you're in the US, it's a violation of labor law to force or "allow" you to work off of the clock for any reason (they're considered the same thing, as it's all too easy for a Manager to claim that a worker who was coerced into working off the clock did so voluntarily). If you're in there on a day off, out of uniform, and choose to help someone find something, I would imagine that might be different - tho I am not certain.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Funny I come on here and find this thread, after my Supervisor was on us about clocking in right away. What if there's a line and we can't get to the register to clock in? Clock in, anyway. Yes, the Sup actually said that. Okay, let me interrupt the line of customers just to clock in. That's not rude or anything. As for the OP... EricKei is right about labor laws. Look into that.
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I am in the US. The law is a bit fuzzy...how much are you allowed to "help" a customer when not on the clock?

I told my dad this story, and normally he always plays devil's advocate and says, "well, you SHOULD have..." but this time he just burst out laughing his ass off and called him a nutjob.

Comment

It's ok if they adjust the punch so you get paid for that time. But that guy was a jerk. I'm not gonna walk around, personal stuff in hand, and help customers. They can wait.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

the problem with that is that it comes off as if you HAVE to work off the clock and they'll just make it "on the clock" later... you hope.

Comment

This is why I've been saying for YEARS that CS needs to bring back the old CS shirts that were sold when Mr. Slugger ran this place...

Specifically the one that says, on the back, the following...

NO!
                  I DON'T
                  WORK HERE!!!

At the time, we had members that worked at grocery stores that would wear that shirt under their company-issued work shirt/smock/whatever, and as soon as they were off the clock, they'd take off the company-issued shirt and wear the CS shirt while they were walking through the store!

So, um, yeah... we need that shirt design resurrected!
                  "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                  --StanFlouride

Comment

Wal-mart got busted for making people work off the clock. It is very illegal in the U.S. and should be reported to the proper authorities.
                    ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

The company I used to work for got busted big time a few years ago, since they required that we be fully up & running when our shift started. Our computer systems took several minutes to get everything up, so we actually had to start logging in about 5-7 minutes before our shift. Same thing at the end of the day. In essence, they were getting 15 minutes extra time from every employee, every day. They got hit with some big labor law fines for that one.
                      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth Despina83 View Post
                        I am in the US. The law is a bit fuzzy...how much are you allowed to "help" a customer when not on the clock?
                        That is, beyond any doubt, an "Email the guys at the Labor Board" type of question. IANAL ^_^...tho I do have some experience being thoroughly screwed over by an employer who didn't think such laws applied to him (rants from prior years here), which prompted me to educate myself about such things.

It may be the case that it's OK if you are credited with the time, or it may make a difference if you are within X hours of a scheduled/worked shift...but those are questions for the board.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'd look into it also, if only because the store's liability is heightened when you are on the clock. So if custy punches you, or that teetering box of envelopes comes crashing down on your head while you're explaining something to a SC, it's much harder for them to weasel out of...

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
                            This is why I've been saying for YEARS that CS needs to bring back the old CS shirts <snip> At the time, we had members that worked at grocery stores that would wear that shirt under their company-issued work shirt/smock/whatever, and as soon as they were off the clock, they'd take off the company-issued shirt and wear the CS shirt while they were walking through the store!

So, um, yeah... we need that shirt design resurrected!
                            Yeah, but that is not true if you do actually work there. You shouldn't have to tell people that just to avoid being bothered. A polite "I'm off the clock" should be enough.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You don't care if I'm on the clock? Funny, I don't care what you care about when I'm off the clock.

Comment

Working...
                              X