This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too lazy to put it together

Had the following sucktacular exchange today.....

SC= duh
    Me=One by one the penguins steal my sanity

SC: (referring to a patio chair of some sort) I'd like to buy this.
    Me: Okay! (hands her the pull tag for this item) Just take this to the cashiers and we'll load it up for you.
    SC: Oh no. I want the display!
    Me: Unfortunately, we do not sell our display models until the item has gone to no reorder and there are no more boxed ones in back.
    SC: But I don't want to have to put it together.
    Me: I'm sorry but I could get into trouble if I sold the display when we still have boxed ones in back (not entirely true)
    SC: Well...I'll just get a chair someplace else then!
    Me: Great. Have a nice day!

Herewith, the reasons why we do not sell displays until all the boxed ones are gone:
    • It prevents us from having to blow payroll to assemble new displays
    • Selling the displays early is how we kill our margins on furniture. The boxed items sit in the backroom getting marked down repeatedly because nobody knows we have them.
    • In the case of baby furniture, state law forbids it. Won't somebody please think of the children, you know.
    • The boxed items usually will be in better condition.

I already had to assemble a new display for a different set of chairs, because sold the display prematurely. All the chairs in question required a fair amount of nuts, bolts and cursing to put together.

Aside: If people saw the amount of care and effort we put into building our displays, they'd never want to buy them.
    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 06-25-2007, 11:35 PM.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

What's so hard about putting something together?

Comment

you should offer a personal service... putting together kitset items for a fee

at christmas time I would give lessons on bow tying for customers and I cant remember how many would then buy ribbon and toss it across and ask me to tie the bows for them....

I used to offer to do it for $1 a bow (their faces would then look horrified or insulted) and I would point out our prefolded bows sold for $4 a piece and toss back the ribbon.
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

you should offer a personal service... putting together kitset items for a fee
        I think we used to, years ago. Not enough people went for it, I guess.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          What's so hard about putting something together?
          Some people have difficulty putting Tab A into Slot B - believe it or not.

Some, like my Mom, have trouble with just written instructions. She has to have pictures as a guide or she's lost.

Myself - I like both. I don't have too much trouble as a general rule putting stuff together. I guess I'm just mechanically inclined that way.

So, as a result of that, guess who gets stuck with putting together floorstands of candy bars b/c the receiver is lacking in that capacity?

Three guesses, first two don't count.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I like putting things together.

That is, provided the things are not built in such a way that putting them together requires modifications to the pieces. I've run into things that were so badly produced that you would have to sand things down, cut things off, or otherwise modify some of the pieces in order to put them together.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Indeed, I enjoy putting my furniture together that I got from Ikea. It wasn't too bad, and I got everything all set with not too much difficulty from their bad instructions. I can understand why people wouldn't want to assemble it themselves, but seriously... a chair is not that hard!
              Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
              Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
              The Office

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Me=One by one the penguins steal my sanity
                I know what you mean. Too damn hot for a penguin to be out just walkin around.

And I hated requests to by the displays. There were customers who absolutely insisted on it, even if the product was brand-new. The difference? I worked at Circuit City and, aside from TV stands there was nothing to assemble! Well, except hooking it up, but you have to do that either way. Plus, then they don't get the box, which cushions your sensitive electronic equipment from being jostled around on the ride home (just ask the guy who bought a 45 inch projection TV and it fell out of his truck as he turned a corner not 100 feet from the store, against our offer to hold it for him until he could at least get some bungee cords to secure it with). But, our managers would do it if the customers wouldn't shut up about it, and made them pay full price for it. It only took a few minutes to put another one out.
                "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

I normally like putting things together, but there are times when I have to get someone else to do it. Recently I had to get someone to put together a complicated swing set for my kids, yet I was able to put together a trampoline for them.

If you want an example of lazy though, here's one: I get irritated with the customers who don't want to do something simple, like sign up an account on line themselves, or those at a store who want to use the debit machine, but they have the cashier do it for them, including typing the PIN customer. These are simple things people can do, but because they find it too complicated (without even trying it themselves first), they have someone hold their hand during the process. Now that's lazy!

Comment

I don't think I'd ever buy display model furniture. I once went to Kohls with my mom and I decided to try out a chair they had on display, I sat down on it and the whole thing just fell apart. It's not like I'm a big guy, I weighed like 175 back then.

Comment

We're absolutely not allowed to sell the display models at our store. (Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, though.) In most cases, the store technically doesn't own the display model. MOST people will accept 'safety issue' or 'liability issue', but the really aggressive ones I usually resort to repeating "we can't" over and over until they stop yelling.

I had an amusing request once, though. A very polite customer wanted to know if he could have or buy any of the model tent displays for the tents that were on clearance, because he thought it'd be great for his cats to play with. (They're the PERFECT size for a cat, too.) The manager had to turn him down because we have to send those back, but I would have sold him one if I could because he was so polite and the idea tickled me.
                      It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

A guy over here made his own business coming round and assembling IKEA furniture for a living. Not heard about him in a while - wonder if he's still doing that?

Rapscallion

Comment

Not a display, more like a store sign...
                          I saw a Closed/Open Emily the Strange sign in a store and my mom decided I should have it. Luckily, she didn't grab it and go, she went into the store and asked politely.

It took a year until the sign was "out of date" and they then sent it to me, wrapped up with a free CD for christmas.

Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            Aside: If people saw the amount of care and effort we put into building our displays, they'd never want to buy them.
                            No they wouldn't.
                            Quote Dalesys:
                            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                              Some people have difficulty putting Tab A into Slot B - believe it or not.
                              Yet, many of these people have no problem, um, putting Tab A into Slot B....to bring *more* stupid people into the world

I've seen the "careful attention" that goes into some of those displays. Many are put together with care...but again, the same amount aren't. They're just thrown together simply because management wants something visible quickly. As such, corners are sometimes cut to save time. Because of that, I'd rather put the thing together myself
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X