X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post

YAY! I taught someone something!

(Yes, I love this sort of feedback. Does it show?)
    Nope, doesn't show at all :P

Damn.

If you can, find a nice local pharmacy with a regular, trustworthy pharmacist or two, who can get to know you and your family. We have one, and he's worth his weight in gold.

As for nurses; do you have a midwife, early childcare nurse, or other medically trained child-wellness assistant for bubs?
    I'll see if we can find a pharmacy. There's a Rite-Aid nearby, maybe they've got nice folks.

No midwife, nurse, or assistant. I had an OB-GYN delivery, and our pediatrician is at the same hospital he was born. They're good about answering questions over the phone, but being out of the hospital means long waits sometimes.

Excellent.

By the time you've read this, you should know what it is; or at least whether or not to be worried. So I'll go ahead and tell you some of the reasoning behind my personal decision not to say 'it's probably nothing to worry about'.

it probably IS nothing to worry about. But it also might be. Measles and chicken pox are characterised by rashes, for example. So are some very nasty (but thankfully very rare) diseases.

So .. yeah. I would always advise that someone medically trained see an unknown rash in an infant or in someone immune compromised. He's going to get diaper rash far too many times, don't bother chasing the doctor for that every time. But an unknown rash is different.
    Doc isn't sure what's irritating him, but that's all the rash is. So we have a prescription for steroids for the next three days and a cream she recommened: CeraVe. So we'll see what happens.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Even though I don't think you needed to stress about the rash I agree with Seshat; always check with doctor for new rashes for baby. I'm glad you got in to see the doctor so quickly, and that she doesn't think it is something to worry about. Now breathe.
      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

I second alveeno. When you call for the appointment ask if bathing him/washing the area with espson salts in the water would be ok. I have both contact and atopic dermatitis. I know it sounds backwards to use salts on dry skin. In my case it reduces the swelling from the allergic reaction and allows the skin to heal.

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
          And I have no idea of where one would go to see a NP particularly..
          A lot of pharmacies have them now with their "Minute Clinics." They're usually staffed by nurse practitioners, sometimes a PA. They're cheap, and for quick minor things just like this.

Rashes are hard to diagnose. In kids, the causes of rash without fever are usually heat rash or contact dermatitis. But you're always better off consulting with a medical professional even if there is no fever, because the treatments may vary. So I'm glad you got seen.

Quoth Seshat View Post
          it probably IS nothing to worry about. But it also might be. Measles and chicken pox are characterised by rashes, for example. So are some very nasty (but thankfully very rare) diseases.
          Just FYI for everyone: measles is characterized by fever, followed by a rash on the head that spreads to the trunk and entire body. It itches, and is a fine macular rash. It is also accompanied by a cough, head cold symptoms, and conjunctivitis (pink eye). It is highly contagious; 90% of people exposed to it get it unless they are vaccinated.

Chicken pox in kids that young would start as general fussiness, lethargy followed by low grade fever, and a rash on the trunk and head that may or may not spread to the limbs (there's usually less rash on the limbs). The rash becomes large blister like papules that itch intensely, seep and are very contagious until they are all scabbed over. They may also have nasal drainage; that is also highly contagious.

Quoth Seshat View Post
          So .. yeah. I would always advise that someone medically trained see an unknown rash in an infant or in someone immune compromised. He's going to get diaper rash far too many times, don't bother chasing the doctor for that every time. But an unknown rash is different.
          Absolutely!
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

For contact dermititis and/or 'something is irritating his skin' rashes, a pharmacist is your best bet for getting something to soothe him.

To find out just what is irritating him, write down everything that contacts that part of his skin (I know, I know, it's a pain), and what the condition of the skin is.

Solving the problem, of course, is getting rid of whatever irritates him.

One suggestion: instead of commercial fabric softeners (which often contain perfumes and other things that aren't necessary to softening fabric), put vinegar in your rinse water. About the same amount of vinegar as one of those 'concentrated fabric softeners' recommends.
            Vinegar softens fabrics, has never harmed any fabrics we've used it on (no guarantees about fabrics I haven't used it on), and contains no additives. White vinegar is just acetic acid (vinegar) and possibly water.

Edit to add: our fantastic pharmacist has a selection of solutions for diaper rash. I strongly suggest that if you get a persistent diaper rash that your current treatments don't help, you speak to a pharmacist, or a nurse/PA/whomever operating with a pharmacist. I suggest 'barrier' type creams as preventions, myself: they prevent liquid from actually contacting the layers of the skin that get damaged.
            Last edited by Seshat; 03-29-2014, 06:35 AM.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              White vinegar is just acetic acid (vinegar) and possibly water.
              Not "and possibly water" - it should be "and water". Even the super-strong "pickling" vinegar contains water (IIRC, most vinegar is around 5% acetic acid). Pure (a.k.a. glacial) acetic acid has no business being in the kitchen.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I use CeraVe lotions. It's the only thing that even pretends to touch my eczema.

Comment

We had a similar problem, all though the rash went up the front of his belly. Turns out it was an allergic reaction to A & D ointment. Our 2nd son had the same reaction to it.

Dreft is Laundry soap made especially for babies its kinda expensive but worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                  X