This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow thyroid problems

I've been having health problems, feeling weak, blurred vision (more than usual), etc. I thought it was my blood sugar, as there is a history of diabetes in my family.

Had the lab work done, saw the doctor. It's not my blood sugar. It's my thyroid. He said it was slowing down. I'm now on levothyroxine 0.05mg tablets, and am researching what else I should do. If anyone knows anything about thyroid problems, I would appreciate the information. Thanks!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

I'm afraid all I can do is commiserate -- I've been on the stuff for over three years now. The issue was discovered via blood test when I went in for an exam due to an injury caused by my boss at my former workplace. There are worse meds to be on, but my doc told me it's one of those that people are normally on for life. If what they told me is accurate, it's one of those cases where the body comes to depend on the pill for that particular function. I'm no doc, so can anyone else chime in with something more concrete?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      I've been having health problems, feeling weak, blurred vision (more than usual), etc. I thought it was my blood sugar, as there is a history of diabetes in my family.

Had the lab work done, saw the doctor. It's not my blood sugar. It's my thyroid. He said it was slowing down. I'm now on levothyroxine 0.05mg tablets, and am researching what else I should do. If anyone knows anything about thyroid problems, I would appreciate the information. Thanks!

Like diabetes, hypothyroidism is an endocrine disorder. The endocrine organs are the glands that produce hormones that regulate body functioning: the pancreas, thyroid, parathyroid, pituitary gland, adrenal glands, ovaries, testicles, and so on.

The thyroid is a small gland at the base of the throat. It produces several important hormones that regulate metabolism. A "slow" thyroid isn't producing enough of these hormones. The symptoms can be pretty non-specific: fatigue, brittle hair and nails, dry skin. It's often difficult to diagnose because the symptoms can be so vague, and the hormone levels are often very borderline. However, it can lead to life threatening problems with heart rate and a condition called myxedema.

Levothyroxine, or Synthroid, is an artificial thyroid hormone that corrects this problem. It's inexpensive and effective, with few side effects, usually related to overdose (which mimics hyperthyroidism).

Causes vary. It can be anything from radiation, to drug reactions (lithium is well known to cause this) and is sometimes congenital.

Watch your sodium level. A very low sodium puts you at risk for mxyedema. It's a kind of edema that usually starts in the extremeties that makes your skin look like an orange peel. It also occurs behind the eyes, giving you a bug eyed appearance. The dropping sodium level can put you into a coma. Your doctor will probably check your thyroid levels and basic chemistries on a regular basis, but as long as you take your medication as directed you should actually feel a lot better and have more energy in short order.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        Watch your sodium level.
        Now THIS, they never told me -- and I've had more than one person as my 'main doc' since I was diagnosed. Of course, I also have high blood pressure, so they ask me to keep my sodium intake DOWN. Unlikely that I will ever be "too low" on it tho, with my diet...such as it is. >_< I've been cutting way back on it, albeit primarily via reducing the high-salt stuff from my diet, using salt-free spices, etc -- I don't even add salt to food at all when I can help it. I found a shop locally that can get custom-blended spices made, so I'm asking to see if they can make stuff like non-salt lemon pepper (which is really lemon SALT with some pepper in it), et al. FTR, Tony Chacherie's, a "New Orleans style" spice maker, makes a salt-free blend, and it's quite good without being "hot".

Good to know. Thanks!

I have, on occasion, had side effects like occasional dizziness when standing/sitting rapidly, or just at random when walking around -- tho I have been told that's likely either the HBP or the meds I take for it.
        Last edited by EricKei; 04-26-2014, 12:52 AM.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thank you both for your feedback. I've been reading up on this, and, oddly, I'm glad it's this and not something worse, like diabetes. I can deal with taking a pill every day for the rest of my life; beats daily blood testing and insulin shots.

I'm still going to cut down on sugar; processed sugar isn't healthy, and cutting down might help me lose the weight. There don't appear to be many necessary dietary changes, except adding more iodine-containing foods like fish and seaweed, and I like those anyway. (Sushi, anyone? )
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            Thank you both for your feedback. I've been reading up on this, and, oddly, I'm glad it's this and not something worse, like diabetes.
            That's one of the ways I deal with having my many problems. 'At least it's not worse.'

If you're accustomed to being fully healthy, you might (note: might) have a grieving process over your health. If this happens, it's normal and human and natural and yadda yadda, just recognise it for what it is, let it happen, and continue on with life.

Just tossing that out there so you don't get blindsided by it.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Now THIS, they never told me -- and I've had more than one person as my 'main doc' since I was diagnosed. Of course, I also have high blood pressure, so they ask me to keep my sodium intake DOWN.

I have, on occasion, had side effects like occasional dizziness when standing/sitting rapidly, or just at random when walking around -- tho I have been told that's likely either the HBP or the meds I take for it.
              Usually, hypothyroidism has to be pretty severe for the sodium to be a problem. In most patient's it's checked a couple of times a year. And managing ones sodium level is still an important part of BP control.

People with HBP "adjust" to the higher BP. When the meds bring it down, perfusion to the brain drops a bit. I have to deal with this side effect myself (I also have high blood pressure).

Quoth XCashier View Post
              Thank you both for your feedback. I've been reading up on this, and, oddly, I'm glad it's this and not something worse, like diabetes. I can deal with taking a pill every day for the rest of my life; beats daily blood testing and insulin shots.
              There are a lot of things I'd rather have than diabetes. My dad had it, and my brother has it. I'm technically pre-diabetic, but I've kept my blood sugar under control with minor dietary changes. If I can keep it this way indefinitely, I will be very, very happy.

Quoth XCashier View Post
              I'm still going to cut down on sugar; processed sugar isn't healthy, and cutting down might help me lose the weight. There don't appear to be many necessary dietary changes, except adding more iodine-containing foods like fish and seaweed, and I like those anyway. (Sushi, anyone? )
              Most people with minor thyroid problems aren't getting enough dietary iodine; that's why it's added to table salt. However, in your case you probably do need medication. Improving your iodine intake through dietary changes won't hurt you, though.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I hate seaweed, and suffer allergy or digestive problems with most seafood (ie, all that I've tried). Even a fish broth base for a soup or stew-y thing will make me feel sick.

And I have high blood pressure, so we minimise my salt intake. Wheee.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                X