Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to think that Keurig will look at the stacks of machines not sold and the stack of machines sent back, realize "Hey, we're losing money on this change!" and get back to the way things were. But business choices rarely make sense.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Today one of my favorite customers came in carrying a 2.0. Usually our transactions involve a lot of joking and having fun so I called him over to my register. I could see that he was unhappy, and I don't blame him, but I also knew that he wouldn't yell at me.

(It was a little busy so one of the managers was ringing at one of the other registers.)

So, because this is the sort of customer he has always been, I held my hand to my forehead and said in a terrible Romanian accent "Don't speak! I'm hafing a vision." I put my hand on the machine and said "its coming clear, Madam Slave sees all! You bought this wonderful devise as a Christmas gift for your lovely wife. Because you are a loving and considerate man, you also bought her many boxes of pods. She was delighted and you got many kisses and cuddles that night."

"Yes, but..." "No, don't speak, more is coming through. Being a wise consumer, you also registered it with Keurig and they sent more boxes of pods." Yes, but... My hand up to stop him. "There is more! Being the thoughtful and considerate husband, when you noticed that she was running out of pods, you went online to buy more." YES, BUT! "But when they arrived, your machine became possessed by demons and refused to work, even though you tried a pod from several different boxes, so now in despair you have brought your machine to Madame Slave to have the demon possession removed." Dramatically holds hand out "Cross my palm with silver."

He pulled out a handful of change, looked at it and exclaimed "Madame Slave, all is lost! I have no silver!"

Yeah, well, then you are going to have to do it yourself. Your wonderful coffee maker isn't possessed by demons, its possessed by a DRM reader that looks for some sort of special ink at the edge of the pod. What you are going to have to do is go buy a box of 2.0 pods and either save the lids and put them on the new cup, or cut the edge off one and tape it to the reader.

Favorite customer went happily off to get a box of 2.0 pods, Manager who had been watching this whole thing with wide eyes because he'd been dealing with the fallout from customers and from corporate about the large number of returns, gave me 10 jean day certificates and actually apologized to me for not listening when I first brought the potential problem up.

He also said he is going to look the hack up online and print out instructions so people stop returning those very expensive machines for doing just what they were designed to do.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
        Ugh...just...ugh. I HATE this. Just because you SELL something doesn't mean you SUPPORT it! I just don't understand why people don't get this.
        My take on that is that it requires a customer to stop and *gasp* use their brain to think it through rather than the less energy expending option, which is take the item back to the store and bless out the employees.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
          awesome story
          That was fantastic, you kept an awesome customer happy AND gave them a grin for the day
          Not to mention you got the manager to see how well it worked

Win/Win!
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
            The ability to use any cups I want is why I chose Keurig over Tassimo. I am babying my current Keurig because I do not want to have to fight with a damn machine to get it to work. Besides, I like being able to use a refillable pod with it. I used to have a regular coffee pot but we would waste so much coffee by making full pots and then not drinking more than a cup or two out of it, and we even tried a four cup brewer with about the same success rate. In the end we actually waste a lot less coffee. In the end, if I have to replace my beloved Keurig I may have to suck it up and get one of the new ones and then hack the shit out of it -_-
            Of you could do what I do. I live alone, and make one cup before work. Same thing; making a whole pot or even a partial was wasteful, as i didn't drink it all. Since i am lazy, and not a huge Keurig fan, I do this.

Boil water. Take a small strainer, put a coffee filter in it, fill with coffee, put over a mug. Then pour the boiling water over it, and voila, individual cup of coffee. I throw the strainer in the DW about once a week, and have had no issues.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post

Favorite customer went happily off to get a box of 2.0 pods, Manager who had been watching this whole thing with wide eyes because he'd been dealing with the fallout from customers and from corporate about the large number of returns, gave me 10 jean day certificates and actually apologized to me for not listening when I first brought the potential problem up.
              Outstanding - nice to hear that there are good customers still out there, and amazing that a manager actually apologized AND rewarded you.

By the way, what IS a jean day certificate?
              Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

I would assume that it allows employees to wear jeans to work instead of fancy pants.
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Alpha Strike View Post
                  Outstanding - nice to hear that there are good customers still out there, and amazing that a manager actually apologized AND rewarded you.

By the way, what IS a jean day certificate?
                  He's my favorite customer for very good reasons. There are still some of them around. I suspect he works or worked retail himself, because I've noticed that retail workers are much more understanding. I did tell him to go home and google keurig 2.0. When I did it, the hack was the 2nd thing on the list.

I'm still stunned that the manager apologized. That never happens.

I had the last 2 days off, HURRAY! Now I'm scheduled for Friday through Monday. BOO! So I don't know what, if anything, has been done about the returns.

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                  I would assume that it allows employees to wear jeans to work instead of fancy pants.
                  Right. I tend to give mine away because my work pants are just as comfortable as jeans, but its nice to have a couple for those times I just wasn't able to get to the laundry.

I really do understand why people are upset about their pricey machines not working. I don't understand why people would spend over $100 on a coffee maker without researching it first. Even with the Christmas sales and the coupons, nobody except those of us with employee discounts would have gotten that model for less than $120 at the cent store. That's a LOT of money for a coffee maker.

Comment

Here's the free "Freedom Clip" that will allow any cup/refillable to be used on the 2.0 machine.

https://www.gourmet-coffee.com/Keuri...edom-Clip.html

I got an 2.0 machine (the 450) for Christmas but returned it for the Elite. I tried to use the label hack but my eye/hand coordination on getting the label setup properly was just not good at all. Had this "Freedom Clip" been available I would have never returned the 2.0 machine as it does do a bit of a better job with brewing hot chocolate compared to the Elite one I got now.
                    New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
                    New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

BRILLIANT!!! Thank you so much, I printed the link out for my favorite customer. When I went into our infamous back room (which doesn't have stock, only things like returns and staff supplies), I saw 6 more 2.0 machines waiting to be boxed and returned.

Comment

Bumping this because two of the three new-model Keurigs have gone clearance at the swamp.

The two most expensive ones. They're still not selling.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          Bumping this because two of the three new-model Keurigs have gone clearance at the swamp.

The two most expensive ones. They're still not selling.
                          Wonder if the Keurig corporation has learned anything from this debacle? I always shake my head on the inside whenever I see someone coming out with anything that uses a proprietary part that locks out anyone who doesn't have it, sure, it seemed like a great idea in a board room somewhere, "They can only use OUR stuff!" but they time and time again fail to see that the average person doesn't want to get stuck with something that doesn't work if you lose the magic decoder ring....
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I had heard that Keurig was considering beckpedaling on their "coffee pod DRM" thing, but I'm not 100% sure. Kinda like the XBONE getting back-compatibility...It's not so much "They're doing a wonderful thing!" as it is "Fixing a serious mistake"
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've not seen many of the 2.0 machines going out the door lately. Word gets around.

Although I don't know if its because people don't want to mess with the hacks or because they have figured out that paying almost $200 for a coffee maker isn't such a good deal anyhow.

We have (had, I don't work there anymore, hurray!) morning staff meetings before the store opens and the 2.0 models were discussed several times. We are supposed to point out the small black label on the box that said they would only use Keurig products and then give them links to the hacks.

I agree that Keruig kinda shot themselves in the foot with this decision. The 2.0 had many cool features, but if people aren't going to buy them all the bells and whistles in the world won't matter.

Irving can I ask how much the ones at the swamp cost now? The ones at the cent store were only slightly higher than the model I bought when I was last there (on Friday).

Comment

I want to say $150, maybe more?

I looked them up on our online store and they weren't clearance there, so it's probably just my store and some others right now.
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X