This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye to the monthly ow

I finally did it. I went to the doctor and asked for a hysterectomy. I'd had enough of being almost knocked out by weariness and pain every month. It was time.

Well, I had to be examined first, with all the less-than-joyous procedures that go with it. When the results came back, everything was normal. No fibroids, no endometriosis.

So, the doctor didn't want to do a hysterectomy. It seems that in this country, they only do it if something is wrong with you. He suggested endometrial ablation.

After a series of visits to the gynecologist, the GP, the gynecologist, the blood lab, the GP, et cetera, I was cleared for surgery. Yesterday morning, I arrived bright and early at the clinic for the procedure. I talked to the receptionist, then the nurse, then a doctor, then I was taken to my room, and got into that gown they give you. And waited for five hours.

The nurse came in, gave me two injections, and then left. Finally, it was my turn. And let me tell you, that operating room was terrifying. All those bright lights and strange people, none of whom spoke English. I was strapped down, and the cannula was inserted into the back of my hand, since my veins are difficult even for a professional to find.

Then I woke up in my room, with more orders being given to me in Czech. I was cold from the anesthetic, and hooked up to an IV drip. Eventually, a nurse came in and disconnected it; some time later, she removed the cannula, which REALLY hurt.

I had to stay overnight - not my choice; that's what the doctors decided. I am now, finally, HOME, and I've just taken a shower to wash that industrial antiseptic smell off me. Man, I do not like hospitals.

I understand them not wanting to do a hysterectomy, since that's a major procedure. Hopefully this ablation will work for you, for good!
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

An ablation did it for me, no more ow, no more weariness... that was 10 years ago... I should have done that even earlier!
      I keep my fingers crossed for you!
      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

When I started taking Vitamin D, it worked wonders. Not in decreasing the strength of the "ow", but in decreasing its duration. My bleeding used to last 3 days heavy or moderate, now it lasts 1 day light, and 2 days heavy or moderate.
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Rest. Lots of rest.

Hope you feel better soon. I requested a hyster after going to my Dr following 27 days of bleeding. He referred me to a gyno who took one look at me and had me scheduled for surgery 5 days later (I had a history of endometriosis and adhesions. I used to pop 222's like candy each month just to deal with the pain (aspirin with codeine)) Was a Godsend - I have zero regrets.
          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Yeah, that's the odd thing. I thought my problems must have been due to fibroids or endometriosis, or both - but I didn't have either one. One of the nice things about this whole experience was to find out how healthy I am. I am taking it very easy, and I won't go anywhere unless it's necessary. Fortunately, if push came to shove, I could order groceries online and have them delivered, or restaurant food.

Comment

Word of advice regarding food (hope this isn't too TMI)- try to stick with soft foods that won't bind you up (like soups) as straining will be uncomfortable until you're fully healed.
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

If I'd known about ablation while I was still having my monthly ow, I could have been spared years of pain. So glad I finally had it.

Second the advice; rest as much as you can, and DON'T strain. And congratulations on your new-found freedom.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It's the emotional part that's the hardest - the intense fear as I was strapped down on the operating table, being unable to breathe as the mask was pressed over my face, being put back into bed after it was over and having the room full of strangers, and having to stay there overnight. I'm still trying to get over that. I might go out tomorrow and do a little grocery shopping, but only close to home.

Comment

Went out and did a little grocery shopping today. I picked up some treats because, well, I wanted them. I don't feel up to cooking yet, so I'm going to order out tonight. There's a company here in town that delivers food from various restaurants, with all the prices listed online (not just the food prices, but the delivery prices. Some restaurants have free delivery, but most have a surcharge).

Work again on Monday, and then a friend invited me over after work. He told me he's had some drama, otherwise he would have been here already, with cookies. I told him not to worry about it, since I've stopped eating wheat.

Comment

Yesterday at work was okay. Today was okay. I made a side trip on the way home to buy some goodies.

I started bleeding more. At least twice as much as the usual daily amount. I freaked out and contacted the doctor, who called me back and asked if I had done any more walking than usual today. I said, yes, I had. It turns out that this is what caused it, but he said that if I developed a fever, or the bleeding didn't let up, I was to go to the hospital. Oh, and he told me not to go to work tomorrow.

Why, thank you for not telling me about this in advance. I just don't understand it. I'm going to see him tomorrow morning, and then my manager wants me to bring the doctor's note to work. I will ask the doctor how long I should take off work (he told me five days when I asked him at an earlier appointment, and that's how long I was off). I wonder what the hell else he didn't tell me, since he certainly didn't warn me about the simple act of walking.

I don't like this.

Comment

I ended up going to the emergency room last night, worried about the bleeding and where it might lead. The doctors tested my blood and did an ultrasound, discovering nothing unusual. They sent me home with the recommendation to see the gynecologist. I did so at around noon today. This time, I saw the female gynecologist, who is much more sympathetic than her colleague. She told me that I need to rest, drink lots of liquids, and not work, even from home. She also prescribed pills for the bleeding. I spent hours in bed today, and feel better, so I think I'm finally on the right track.

Comment

Glad to hear it!
                          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
                          X