This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overenthusiastic Sports Fan

Last year, the Local Sports Team won the Big Annual Sporting Event for the first time in its history, and they're in the running to be in it again this year. As such things are wont to do, this has caused public affection for the LSTs to boom, and for some reason (I blame the 16 hours of darkness we get every day this time of year) the fans of our team are extremely passionate about it to a degree I've never seen anywhere else I lived. (As a native San Diegan I never felt much passion for our home teams myself since we always knew they were going to lose anyway; we were just happy whenever the Raiders lost.)

Enter Overenthusiastic Sports Fan, a middle aged man who shows up at the store once every week or two to do his shopping. For OSF, the Local Sports Team isn't just a phenomenon. It isn't just an obsession. Calling it his religion would probably be selling it short too. It is his entire reason for living. I have never seen him wearing anything other than the team colors from head to toe, with as much official team merchandise as he can stack onto his frame - jersey, scarf, beanie, jacket, if they make underwear with the logo on the crotch he's probably got that too. He dresses like this year-round - game day, bye week, off season, no matter. I almost suspect that once, in '89, he didn't wear the team colors and the team lost by 85-2, and now he's convinced that the team will lose and it'll be his fault if he doesn't go as over the top as possible to make sure every man, woman, and child he encounters knows he supports the team. You can't exchange words with him without him mentioning the team. You can't give him his total at the checkout counter without him mentioning how great they're doing this year.

Which brings us to his most annoying habit - he will, on a regular basis, apropos of no particular external stimuli whatsoever, yell "GO LOCAL SPORTS TEAM!" at the loudest possible volume his mighty lungs are capable of generating. He will do this at least every 2-3 minutes during a typical visit to the store. You can hear him from the other end of the store (and we've got 96,000 square feet of floor space). It's one of the most annoying, boorish, inappropriate-for-a-public-place behaviors I've ever seen, and as far as I can tell, he's utterly clueless that anyone would possibly have a problem with it. I've asked the upper management if we can ban him or tell him to cut it out, but for some reason nobody has a problem with the guy who yells about Local Sports Team.

He made it even worse (and I didn't think that was possible) this morning, after having already been here and shouting for the better part of an hour. It's about 630 AM, and we're wrapping up the overnight freight stocking, when I hear two beeps from above indicating that someone is using the overhead loudspeakers to page for something. I stop what I'm doing and listen up in case it involves me. What do I hear?

I'll give you three guesses;

A) "Smapti, please call extension 100"
    B) "Deli department, price check on aisle 15"
    C) "GO LOCAL SPORTS TEAM!"

Did you guess C? Congratulations. You win a cookie.

My immediate thoughts are twofold; either an employee dialed the page function for him and let him shout into the intercom loud enough to make Lemmy himself politely request that you turn it down (bad); or he's figured out the code to access the page function on his own (worse). I go on the manhunt, determine that the page came from the one cashier whose lane was open at the time, and go to him to find out what the hell just happened.

As it turns out, I overestimated OSF's disregard for proper behavior in public, as the cashier and the customer at the register both confirmed what had indeed happened; as OSF was finishing up his business and bagging his groceries, the cashier picked up the phone and opened the intercom to call for a sweep log check (something we do every 30 minutes to make sure the floors are clear of debris), and before the cashier could do so, OSF reached across the register, grabbed the phone out of the cashier's hand, and issued his customary mating cry before dropping the handset, gathering the rest of his groceries, and leaving.

I really wish I could convince the management to ban him or threaten him with a ban after this, but again, nobody but me seems to care about it that much (including the cashier, who was more just plain bewildered by it than as pissed off as I'd be.) So I'll just say this, OSF; I hope Local Sports Team makes it to the Big Annual Event this year and loses. Loses hard. I hope they get utterly humiliated in a way no team has ever been humiliated in the history of The Sport Which They Participate In, and I hope that at the post-game press conference, Star Player Who Loves Skittles looks directly into the camera, calls you out by name, and says that the team losing is entirely your fault.

...So, how was your New Year's?

I agree, a ban here is more than warrented!

Comment

OMG how utterly annoying! I definitely think a ban is in order.

Comment

Gah. That's totally insane. I would have a hard time not saying anything. Or at least cupping my hands over my ears and glaring.

We got that a bit last year (I suspect we're in the same state) and I mostly tolerated it since the team had never done well before. In fact, I'm used to our state teams doing poorly. So I was like, "well let them have their fun." Last year, a few days before they were to play in the Superbowl I was in a grocery store and they had some nonsense at like 12:12 where for a minute everyone was supposed to scream as loud as they could. I just stood there with my hands over my ears. Now it's happening again.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

If he had grabbed the phone out of my hand, it would soon be the reason he'd be visiting either the dentist or the proctologist next.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
            If he had grabbed the phone out of my hand, it would soon be the reason he'd be visiting either the dentist or the proctologist next.
            Or both. At the same time.

If that happened here, I WOULD complain about it to management if I had it happen more than once or twice while I was in the store. I cannot stand stuff like that. There's enough noise in the world now!
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My first guess is we're talking about Ohio State.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Next time he is the store and yells it again, make sure no one sees you and yell back, 'They suck! '

If for no other reason than to see him pop a blood vessel looking for the person who did that.

I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                  I have never seen him wearing anything other than the team colors from head to toe, with as much official team merchandise as he can stack onto his frame - jersey, scarf, beanie, jacket, if they make underwear with the logo on the crotch he's probably got that too. He dresses like this year-round - game day, bye week, off season, no matter. I almost suspect that once, in '89, he didn't wear the team colors and the team lost by 85-2, and now he's convinced that the team will lose and it'll be his fault if he doesn't go as over the top as possible to make sure every man, woman, and child he encounters knows he supports the team. You can't exchange words with him without him mentioning the team. You can't give him his total at the checkout counter without him mentioning how great they're doing this year.
                  Sounds very familiar to me since I've lived almost my entire life east of CO and west of IA and the third largest city in my state is the football stadium on game day.

Comment

I am guessing Seattle

Listen, I live in a town that has 3 major league sports teams that are all champions (well, one is working it's way back to that). We are known for bleeding our colors, our 'Nation' is known far and wide and most cities have bars that cater to ex pats of our city to watch the games. You can't walk around the city without seeing at least 50 people wearing some article of clothing with one of our sports team name on it (adjusts my hoodie) and right now I am warming up for the screaming I will do for the second half of the game...but that being said, this guy sounds like a right tool! I would have ripped the phone from his hand and beat him with it. He should be warned by management that his behavior is totally unacceptable and any further whooping, hollering, or attempts to interfere with the cashiers or any other employees will result in his banishment.

Oh, and GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <ducks and runs>

Comment

Quoth Deevil View Post
                      Sounds very familiar to me since I've lived almost my entire life east of CO and west of IA and the third largest city in my state is the football stadium on game day.
                      Huskers, by chance?

Comment

Wow, I get annoyed enough with the loudmouths at the bar when there's a sporting event on. Tonight was a karaoke show, but they also had the game on several of the TVs. People would scream when they were happy with the game, or when they were pissed off about it. Apparently something happened as I was finishing up my first song of the night, because people were making all kinds of noise. We joked that they must have really loved my singing.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

This is why I hate bros, they grow up and become, THIS GUY.....

... ugh.
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Mod hat on:
                            The OP went to great lengths to obscure his location. Please stop trying to guess (or at least, guess out loud) where he is/what the relevant team is.

Mod hat off:

That behaviour would annoy me greatly. To the point that I would attempt to find the person and inform him that he's being unacceptable. There is a time and place for that sort of behaviour; do it there/then.

My own city is well known for being a 'sports city' (well, well-known in Aussieland). People have been surprised - openly, visibly surprised - when they ask me which team I support in Local Sport, and I tell them I don't.
                            We just avoid going out on Big Game Day, or on Other Big Sports Event Day, and we avoid sports bars or those parks which are set up with a Local Sport field.

Most people use normal conversation volume when talking about their sport, other than in those places (and/or times). Which is absolutely fine. And heck, I wouldn't recognise team colours when you're wearing them. If it's the right colour combo, I might think you're supporting Ravenclaw!
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth registerrodeo View Post
                              I am guessing Seattle

Listen, I live in a town that has 3 major league sports teams that are all champions (well, one is working it's way back to that). We are known for bleeding our colors, our 'Nation' is known far and wide and most cities have bars that cater to ex pats of our city to watch the games. You can't walk around the city without seeing at least 50 people wearing some article of clothing with one of our sports team name on it (adjusts my hoodie) and right now I am warming up for the screaming I will do for the second half of the game...but that being said, this guy sounds like a right tool! I would have ripped the phone from his hand and beat him with it. He should be warned by management that his behavior is totally unacceptable and any further whooping, hollering, or attempts to interfere with the cashiers or any other employees will result in his banishment.

Oh, and GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <ducks and runs>
                              I hate to say this but 80% of my state bleeds our NFL football team colors (see my location for those colors). the other 20% are people who live in the western part of the state near the "team" who "claim to be Nordic" in nature.

ONLY 50 people HAHAHAHHAHA most of the town normally wears the team colors as normal daily wear and now that they are in the playoffs it just gets worse. A LOT of the businesses within 100 miles either have a variation of the team name or use the team colors in their logo or business.

and on that note

several years ago a guy for Australia Temp MOVED his family to my town because he got seasons tickets for the world know NFL football team
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X